MotorTrend - Dyno Battle: GT350, GT350R, and Z/28

krt22

Established Member
There is such a thing as too much brakes. I'll stick with my Full Tilt Boogie Racing rotors. The rears already bite just a tad too much as it is.
On a drag car yes, on a 500hp+ 3500lb+ car at the track, no such thing

Tob, I'm guessing you will need to design a caliper relocation bracket to account for the larger diameter?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
There is such a thing as too much brakes. I'll stick with my Full Tilt Boogie Racing rotors. The rears already bite just a tad too much as it is.

I already have the FTBR road race, slotted, two piece rotors at each corner.

krt22 said:
Tob, I'm guessing you will need to design a caliper relocation bracket to account for the larger diameter?

That is correct as the GT350 six piston Brembo caliper is a radial mount as opposed to the side mounted S197 Brembos. The bracket is relatively simple to design. I'm a little concerned about spindle clearance and called Filip at Cortex to talk to him about it. He knew right away about what I was getting at, as any boot on the outer tie rod end is likely to fry due to proximity if the brakes ever get scorching hot. His suggestion was to simply consider a bump steer kit if it ends up being that tight.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I'm a little concerned about spindle clearance and called Filip at Cortex to talk to him about it. He knew right away about what I was getting at, as any boot on the outer tie rod end is likely to fry due to proximity if the brakes ever get scorching hot. ...

Oh yeah, didn't you remove your brake shields when you installed your FTBRs? I left mine in place. The minor weight loss and diminished aesthetics wasn't worth it to me.

95_Slowbra

Established Member
Well that was my mistake then on assuming ford was going to keep the CC brakes on the 350.

I had no idea until just now that they had switched to iron. I guess I would have known had I seen a gt350 in person. Knowledge is power.

D2M

Established Member
So I had my 2014 Mustang Gt track pack modded for road racing and started to experience a lot of brake issues that would be to expensive to correct and not woth me keeping and tracking the car another year. I said to myself "Im gona do it" buy a new GT350. I went to every dealer ant pulled every string I could to get one but no luck... Man I really want a GT350... I also looked at the Z28 but 76K + tax NO WAY!! Was surfing autotrader one day and saw a new Z28 in my area priced right under 60k. Lets go check it out.. A few hours later I had purchased my next car. Was under 60K out the door with all fees. To make things short, the car is AWESOME.. Power: the fun starts @ 1400rpm. Brakes: forget it, they look cool as fkk and once bedded are amazing and oh yeah, no dust NONE.. As far as brake costs, I spoke to a few guys running Z06 and Z28s at the track and they only do pad change, Rotors seem to last 15 to 20 pad changes with track use. Interior: don't judge by pics, Its nice and fits the race style of the car nicely, the stereo sucks however.. I didn't think I would like it judging from pictures but I do. I think both Gt350 and Z28 are bots SICK cars and no matter witch one you drive you are in for a great time. Props to Ford and Chevy for building cars like this in a price range that a normal person can afford..

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So I had my 2014 Mustang Gt track pack modded for road racing and started to experience a lot of brake issues that would be to expensive to correct and not woth me keeping and tracking the car another year. I said to myself "Im gona do it" buy a new GT350. ... Was surfing autotrader one day and saw a new Z28 in my area priced right under 60k. ... A few hours later I had purchased my next car. ...

What kind of brake work were you looking at that was going to cost $50K+ (the cost of your new Z/28)??

D2M

Established Member
Front brake rotors would last me 3 track days, then I would cut them and get another 2. I had cooling ducts and tried every rotor ( oem, dba, 2 piece ext ). Rear brake pads would last me 1 or 2 days, the rear pad surface area is tiny for the size of the car. So if I ran the car another year it would depreciate 5K and I would have to deal with constantly changing brakes or upgrade the whole brake system for 10K, the brake system was just inadequate for the weight of the car and my driving. I kinda wanted a new car regardless, I loved my stang and wanted a GT350 but wasn't meant to be.. I do a lot of track days so I wanted a track car ( a street legal one ) And to get a new car with CF brakes for under 60k,,,, that's a no brainer..

Last edited:

D2M

Established Member
Funny the dealer I purchased from said that in 2014 people were paying 10K over sticker for this car. So 76 +10 + tax + tags = around 92k otd. That's crazy, is the Z28 woth sticker 76K? To me NO but it would still be the cheapest new car with CF brakes. Is the car worth 55K? F YEAH it is.. Like I said, my first choice was the GT350, nobody wanted to sell me one so I got a comparable car. Its set up similar to the GT350R, Similar aero, delrin subframe and arm bushing inserts, Trans and diff coolers, R compound tires. Im happy with it..

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
You can not beat a new, LIMITED PRODUCTION car, that changed the muscle car game with record setting performance. Especially not for 55k.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
So I had my 2014 Mustang Gt track pack modded for road racing and started to experience a lot of brake issues that would be to expensive to correct and not woth me keeping and tracking the car another year. I said to myself "Im gona do it" buy a new GT350. I went to every dealer ant pulled every string I could to get one but no luck... Man I really want a GT350... I also looked at the Z28 but 76K + tax NO WAY!! Was surfing autotrader one day and saw a new Z28 in my area priced right under 60k. Lets go check it out.. A few hours later I had purchased my next car. Was under 60K out the door with all fees. To make things short, the car is AWESOME.. Power: the fun starts @ 1400rpm. Brakes: forget it, they look cool as fkk and once bedded are amazing and oh yeah, no dust NONE.. As far as brake costs, I spoke to a few guys running Z06 and Z28s at the track and they only do pad change, Rotors seem to last 15 to 20 pad changes with track use. Interior: don't judge by pics, Its nice and fits the race style of the car nicely, the stereo sucks however.. I didn't think I would like it judging from pictures but I do. I think both Gt350 and Z28 are bots SICK cars and no matter witch one you drive you are in for a great time. Props to Ford and Chevy for building cars like this in a price range that a normal person can afford..

The rotors do seem to last a while if you don't overheat them.

When I talked to Ben about the advantages of Carbon Ceramics, he said for the street they are much better but mentioned iron for the track because it doesn't cost $3000 per axle if you put too much heat into them.

How long do the pads last on the track? I didn't realize how expensive those were.

It will be super bad ass when some one can produce them for close to the same cost as the iron rotors.

D2M

Established Member
1 CF rotor is $1100 pads are $350 to $450 per axle depending on where you buy them from. Talking to guys who run Z06 and Z28 ( identical CF brakes ) front pads last 5 track days give or take, rears last longer. Out of all the people I spoke to about CF brakes ( including Porsche anf BMW owners ) nobody has yet replaced a rotor due to wear. The oldest car at my club was a 2015 Z06 purchased in 14 and ran 2nd half of 14 and all of 15 same oem rotors, this car was tracked heavily since new, the Porsche was older but not as many days on it and has since crashed. RIP GT3. In perspective in 2015 I spent $1800 on brake rotors alone not including any pads on my Mustang GT.

A little insight in to Brembo CF brakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAzbbID6BZ0

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Funny the dealer I purchased from said that in 2014 people were paying 10K over sticker for this car. So 76 +10 + tax + tags = around 92k otd. That's crazy, is the Z28 woth sticker 76K? To me NO but it would still be the cheapest new car with CF brakes. Is the car worth 55K? F YEAH it is.. Like I said, my first choice was the GT350, nobody wanted to sell me one so I got a comparable car. Its set up similar to the GT350R, Similar aero, delrin subframe and arm bushing inserts, Trans and diff coolers, R compound tires. Im happy with it..

Funny my local dealer just got in a brand new 14 z28 that never sold. It's for sale for 60k or whatever they can get.

It's set up similar but the ergonomics the interior(I know personal opinion) and sight lines are all much greater in the 350. Die in the wool gm guys won't go near it because of the above choosing instead the c6z. Which in my eyes is still the best gm car in the last 20 years!

Last edited:

D2M

Established Member
I agree completely.. ^^ As far as performance the Corvette is king, no doubt. I just like muscle cars, they just do things they shouldn't so good and look bad ass. Similar thing happened with my car, came in March 2015, dealer was asking 85K had 2 offers over sticker but not 10K over so they declined them both. The car sat there all year so they had to move it before 2016. The rest is history. I test drove a 16 GT performance pack with the nav and didn't like the interior as much as I did my 14 GT. I hated going through the nav screen to get some simple functions, just give me a Fin button.

Regardless all 3 are awesome cars and if you have a chance to... Buy one!!

Last edited:

D2M

Established Member
I believe at some point in the lifespan of the S550 SVT GTXXX it will be available with CF brakes, its just a matter of time and such a chassis deserves them.. I also believe it will cost more then 55K.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
1 CF rotor is $1100 pads are $350 to $450 per axle depending on where you buy them from. Talking to guys who run Z06 and Z28 ( identical CF brakes ) front pads last 5 track days give or take, rears last longer. Out of all the people I spoke to about CF brakes ( including Porsche anf BMW owners ) nobody has yet replaced a rotor due to wear. The oldest car at my club was a 2015 Z06 purchased in 14 and ran 2nd half of 14 and all of 15 same oem rotors, this car was tracked heavily since new, the Porsche was older but not as many days on it and has since crashed. RIP GT3. In perspective in 2015 I spent $1800 on brake rotors alone not including any pads on my Mustang GT.

NB: CC pad and rotor life will depend on tires, car, track and driver. Slicks and hard braking zones (Abu Dhabi has 185 MPH -> 30 MPH twice per lap) put a lot of heat into the brakes. Less-sticky tires and lower power will reduce the amount of heat the brakes need to dissipate. We've gone through rotors in both the 458Ch and the 599XX in <20 track days each, while pads last 2 track days on average.

Can't comment on Z/28 pad prices, but they're >$2K/axle for both McLaren and Ferrari street cars, and $1300/axle for Ferrari track cars.

jtfx6552

Established Member
NB: CC pad and rotor life will depend on tires, car, track and driver. Slicks and hard braking zones (Abu Dhabi has 185 MPH -> 30 MPH twice per lap) put a lot of heat into the brakes. Less-sticky tires and lower power will reduce the amount of heat the brakes need to dissipate. We've gone through rotors in both the 458Ch and the 599XX in <20 track days each, while pads last 2 track days on average.

Can't comment on Z/28 pad prices, but they're >$2K/axle for both McLaren and Ferrari street cars, and $1300/axle for Ferrari track cars.

Scuttlebutt from rather well heeled (much more well heeled than me) guys at PCA and BMW CCA events is, you don't want a car with CCBs. It's cheaper to buy a whole separate car than run CCBs according to them, and they aren't talking about buying a Mustang as a second track only car either.

The only guys that should want CCBs are guys being paid to drive, who aren;t paying for the parts, lol.

D2M

Established Member
This will be a test for sure. I plan on owning the car for 2 years. I dont think this will be a issue at my local tracks, there is only 1 big braking zone. Like I said, its only a matter of time before S550 chassis has CF brakes, im thinking maybe 17 GT500?? Me and my friends were talking about how it will be going back to steel brakes after driving CF brakes. The lack of brake dust and corrosion with street driving is worth the cost alone, not to mention not having to swap pads for every event.. Like traynor said, it has a lot to do with the track layout and driver. I see a lot of cars with CF brakes at my local track. Im on the bandwagon, especially after last season..

So be honest. If you were buying a new performance car and had a CF brake option for $0, would you check that box?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread