Moving to St. Louis...Advice needed.

BriansZ

Established Member
I third Glen Carbon/Edwardsville. You don't want to live any farther west of that area unless you want to commute from the O'Fallon/St. Charles area of Missouri.

I wouldn't recommend Collinsville or Pontoon Beach, they aren't bad but they aren't as nice as the GlenEd area. And housing is reasonable so you should have no problem finding something under $1300. In fact, when we sold our house last summer we got a temporary place in Maryville for six weeks since we weren't ready to move to Austin until September. It was a brand new 2 bedroom duplex with a three car garage, and it was only $1250/mo. for a short-term lease. It was a little small for us with two kids, but it was only temporary and it would be great for someone without kids. I believe it was around 1500 sq. ft. and it was through osborne properties.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Traffic can get messy downtown at times fyi! Especially if there is Baseball, Hockey or Football game going on! lol.....All 3 complexs are pretty close to one another....

If you like Baseball, You'll like Busch Stadium. I's very nice new park...Can't say much about the fans there though! hahaha (I'm a Cubs fan lol)

Well I'm in the Army so my workday starts a little earlier than most and I'll be outbound not inbound so I'm thinking that might lessen the traffic?

Also, I'm still young and single at age 24 so I do enjoy local nightlife. Being able to walk to and from the bars is a big plus. Im also a big sports fan (Falcons and Braves), but Im sure I'd end up at the st louis games. Hell, even some Blues games.

Is that area of downtown a safe area? Will I have to worry about anything like vandalism or anything?

He was talking about O'Fallon Il, not O'Fallon Mo. They are both in the St. Louis area. O'Fallon, Il is about 20 miles East of St. Louis. It seems like a nice area, but never lived there so can't really say much.

Gotcha. Thanks for the correction.

Now I just have to figure out how much I want to spend on rent.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Well I'm in the Army so my workday starts a little earlier than most and I'll be outbound not inbound so I'm thinking that might lessen the traffic?

Also, I'm still young and single at age 24 so I do enjoy local nightlife. Being able to walk to and from the bars is a big plus. Im also a big sports fan (Falcons and Braves), but Im sure I'd end up at the st louis games. Hell, even some Blues games.

Is that area of downtown a safe area? Will I have to worry about anything like vandalism or anything?

I gotcha. I am unsure about living downtown there. They've done a lot to clean up the area I can tell you that. "The landing" is located very close to there and contains majority of the Bars and night life. They have a good Amtrak system that runs throughout the city and even to the few of the Burbs. I've used it several times to attend games. I've never had a problem parking downtown as well though as far as vandalism goes.

Maybe someone else will have some better insight...

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I lived in STL for over 25 years and I lived in North County, Florissant, Hazlewood and Bellfontaine Neighbors areas and it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be unless you have an irrational fear of black people ( yes, I said it, now we can move on ). I actually still own a condo in Florissant.

If you're looking for an apartment w/ good access to highways and everything else you might want that's not all the way in O'Fallon, take a look at the Maryland Heights area between Page & Dorsette road off of I-270. There's a ton of reasonable priced apartments in that area so much so the area is often referred to as "single person central". Pretty good night life at Westport Plaza and there's a lot of single women there plus a pretty nice YMCA. I lived there for a while myself and I met my wife there back in 2004, it's a nice area that won't put you in the poor house.

Conversely I can also vouch for the Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area. I graduated from SIU-E back in '94 and both the university and the surrounding area has really grown since that time. O'Fallon, IL is also a nice town as well and worth looking at if you don't mind being a bit further southeast on the IL side.

I wouldn't really consider living downtown frankly. It's not bad per se, I worked down there for a number of years at SBC/AT&T but the big problem is the new loft apartments are pretty pricey and there's a sever lack of infrastructure. A lot of stuff closes up around 6 pm b/c most people live out in the burbs so there's not grocery stores or even drug stores in the immediate area.

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I lived in STL for over 25 years and I lived in North County, Florissant, Hazlewood and Bellfontaine Neighbors areas and it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be unless you have an irrational fear of black people ( yes, I said it, now we can move on ). I actually still own a condo in Florissant.

If you're looking for an apartment w/ good access to highways and everything else you might want that's not all the way in O'Fallon, take a look at the Maryland Heights area between Page & Dorsette road off of I-270. There's a ton of reasonable priced apartments in that area so much so the area is often referred to as "single person central". Pretty good night life at Westport Plaza and there's a lot of single women there plus a pretty nice YMCA. I lived there for a while myself and I met my wife there back in 2004, it's a nice area that won't put you in the poor house.

Ive heard good things about some of the areas you listed, however they're probably too far west for my commute unfortunately.

Conversely I can also vouch for the Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area. I graduated from SIU-E back in '94 and both the university and the surrounding area has really grown since that time. O'Fallon, IL is also a nice town as well and worth looking at if you don't mind being a bit further southeast on the IL side.

I wouldn't really consider living downtown frankly. It's not bad per se, I worked down there for a number of years at SBC/AT&T but the big problem is the new loft apartments are pretty pricey and there's a sever lack of infrastructure. A lot of stuff closes up around 6 pm b/c most people live out in the burbs so there's not grocery stores or even drug stores in the immediate area.

Thanks for your insight on downtown. Looking more and more like the edwardsville area.

Planter

Banned
So I'm being reassigned to the St. Louis area--Granite City, IL specifically.

I need recommendations on where to live or more importantly, where NOT to live.

School districts do not matter to me and I'd prefer the northeast side if it's a good area as it'll be closer to where I work. Living on the IL side is probably an even better idea if anyone's familiar with it.

this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't move.

if you live on the missouri side, I suggest you take out the wallet tonight, go out back and practice throwing your money in the trash can, because in Missouri, that's what you'll feel like your doing.

prepare to pay taxes on everything. each car, house, boat, car trailers, rv's, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, moped's, wave runners, campers, anything that gets licensed/registered (license plates) or has a title/deed ...taxed annually based on the estimated value of the property (the state estimates the value for you) due a year from the date titled, and every year thereafter. state income tax as well, plus the normal federal income tax. If I were you and this is just me, rent a house or townhome, keep your permanent address in Alabama or wherever you are right now (maybe at parents or family member), and bypass all that bullshit and keep your money. You'll still have to pay state income tax, but you can avoid all that personal property tax bullshit. Don't give that state any more money than you have to.

If you live on the Illinois side, forget about carrying a handgun anywhere, if you don't carry to begin with and you can live with that, then fine, I'd choose the Illinois side over the Missouri side any day of the week. Missouri does have HCP, but the taxes on everything and anything they can tax you on are so freaking ridiculous, you want to shoot yourself in the face.

The state government is on par with being as bad and incompetent as the idiots in Washington D.C.

had family and friends that lived in Missouri for many years, and they couldn't wait to leave and get out of there because they got tired of throwing their money away.

I'm really sorry you got reassigned to that area, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, because that state is so damn negative and boring. blazing hot summers with 100% humidity, 100* temps and frozen tundra winters with 0* temps and 20-30 mph winds, and not much to do. oh, and enjoy paying for a new suspension on your car(s) every 12 months, the highways and sideroads there are some of the worst in the nation!

Hope you get reassigned to somewhere more pleasant fairly soon.

i_need_csvt

lookin' for a dd trade
Established Member
I got both my degrees from SIU Edwardsville - best choice for you in my opinion also, especially if you're working in Granite City. There's also Maryville and Troy that are just down the road, if you're planning on buying a house, the tax rates are CRAZY in edwardsville/glen carbon, but not too bad in Maryville/Troy. I lived in that area for almost 10 years during college and after, and I plan on moving back after living in the Central West end of St.Louis for 3 years now. Don't move into the city of St. Louis - I've had my car broken into several times and city taxes and property taxes etc. are stupid. Can't wait to move back across the river to IL. If you're looking MO side of the river still, consider everything outside of the 270 loop (outside of St. Louis city). You won't get approached by 10 bums/day then.

Good luck!

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
How's downtown St. Louis? Like west of the river in the Washington Avenue area? Pricing seems higher so I'm guessing that it's an okay area?

Yeah its ok but then I would suggest getting your CCW. Lots of dumbass trolls running around the STL area. The nice area just means you have more money. Like someone else said check out edwardsville, o'fallon. Im from the Collinsville area I have lived there my whole life. So I would say move to MO. if possible but my main reason is I like guns and IL. doesnt. Oh and Granite is a shit hole.

Rambro

Established Member
granite is going downhill fast, stay away from west granite. The nicer neighborhoods are great but the slummy areas are full of scums. I've lived in granite all my life and I like it but I must say the whole stl region is going through a heroin epedemic and people are quick to steal to get money for a fix.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
granite is going downhill fast, stay away from west granite. The nicer neighborhoods are great but the slummy areas are full of scums. I've lived in granite all my life and I like it but I must say the whole stl region is going through a heroin epedemic and people are quick to steal to get money for a fix.

Thanks. I'm not looking to live in Granite City. I'll just be working there. The more and more I look at places outside of St. Louis such as Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, and Collinsville; the more I want to live downtown.

Pricings almost the exact same and downtown at least puts me closer to where I'd want to be on the weekends.

I've pretty much moved my search to the central business district, lafayette square, and the soulard areas.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Hey man! i am from Ofallon IL, and its about 20 minutes south of granite on the HWY.

Its a GREAT area, lots to do and its close to STL but not heavy city traffic you know?
you can PM me , or i can give you my cell and we can talk more. Edwardsville is even nicer, i would go that route. Collinsville is not the greatest, so stay farther north.

As far as people saying this "area" is crap, i have traveled and i will say maybe i am bias because it is home, but its not THAT bad. STL is fun if you know where to go, and yes its hot here in the summer...but its the midwest!

East st louis is bad yes, but nobody ever goes there. I would say give me a pm and we can get on the phone, i have lived here my entire life and i personally think its not too bad!

dont let others make it seem like the shithole of America. its not.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
So I'm being reassigned to the St. Louis area--Granite City, IL specifically.

I need recommendations on where to live or more importantly, where NOT to live.

School districts do not matter to me and I'd prefer the northeast side if it's a good area as it'll be closer to where I work. Living on the IL side is probably an even better idea if anyone's familiar with it.

Run as fast as you can.. theres nowhere id want to live within 500 miles of that shithole

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I didn't read all of the responses but for you being in your early to mid 20's I'd say try to find a place downtown with some type of gated parking or a garage.

Downtown St. Louis has a ton of cool bars, most within walking distance depending on the specific area you move to and it really isn't far at all from Granite City, as well as being close to Gateway Racetrack which opens back up this month.

PM me if you want more information. I've lived in STL my whole life, worked downtown the past 5 years.
I'd be willing to walk you through some specific places if you needed/wanted help.
Right now I live in the county which is most likely too far west for your commute.

Stay away from East Saint Louis and too far north in the Missouri side of Saint Louis City.

Planter

Banned
Hey man! i am from Ofallon IL, and its about 20 minutes south of granite on the HWY.

Its a GREAT area, lots to do and its close to STL but not heavy city traffic you know?
you can PM me , or i can give you my cell and we can talk more. Edwardsville is even nicer, i would go that route. Collinsville is not the greatest, so stay farther north.

As far as people saying this "area" is crap, i have traveled and i will say maybe i am bias because it is home, but its not THAT bad. STL is fun if you know where to go, and yes its hot here in the summer...but its the midwest!

East st louis is bad yes, but nobody ever goes there. I would say give me a pm and we can get on the phone, i have lived here my entire life and i personally think its not too bad!

dont let others make it seem like the shithole of America. its not.

It is a shithole. A boring shithole. All there is to do is go to Bars or stare at cows. Most times when you go to the bars, you still are subjected to seeing cows in jeans that are way too tight and shirts that dont quite cover what they desperately should.

Lake of the ozarks is about the only decent thing, and you spend a fortune getting a boat registered to get on the lake.

Last edited:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
^^ Seems like you have had some crappy experiences in both Missouri and Illinois, it really isn't as bad as you've made it out to be.

The guy isn't moving here because he wants to, his job is relocating him so why not let people try to help him instead of bashing every single thing you can think of?

Some of your points are a little over the top as well, yes the summer sucks, terrible heat but the winter has not been anything near what you explained it to be.

The roads are not bad either but nice shot in the dark.

Let me know if you have any more questions Matt, I'd be glad to help you.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
^^ Seems like you have had some crappy experiences in both Missouri and Illinois, it really isn't as bad as you've made it out to be.

The guy isn't moving here because he wants to, his job is relocating him so why not let people try to help him instead of bashing every single thing you can think of?

Some of your points are a little over the top as well, yes the summer sucks, terrible heat but the winter has not been anything near what you explained it to be.

The roads are not bad either but nice shot in the dark.

Let me know if you have any more questions Matt, I'd be glad to help you.

I agree! :beer: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread