blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
Not like they're lying tho....LOL

10170970_288389964668881_4781419553690430799_n.jpg

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The first foray into turbocharging an I6 for road use? I'm sorry, but BMW turbocharged an I6 all the way back in 1982 for road use. My 85 745i with a KKK27 on it should be driving proof that this MSN editor needs to do some fact checking.

All the more reason you don't own a new luxury car past the warranty thats all. I'd still trust a newer bmw over an audi or benz.

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
The first foray into turbocharging an I6 for road use? I'm sorry, but BMW turbocharged an I6 all the way back in 1982 for road use. My 85 745i with a KKK27 on it should be driving proof that this MSN editor needs to do some fact checking.

All the more reason you don't own a new luxury car past the warranty thats all. I'd still trust a newer bmw over an audi or benz.

Honestly, I never knew that.....LOL
My cousin had an 89 735IL which I believe was an 8cyl.
New knew about prior models that were turbocharged...

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Honestly, I never knew that.....LOL
My cousin had an 89 735IL which I believe was an 8cyl.
New knew about prior models that were turbocharged...

The 735i would have had the M30 I6, which was basically my engine w/o a turbo. The 750iL was the V12 car and the 740i would have been the V8.

Back in the early 80's BMW needed something to compete with Mercedes Benz's V8 cars in the power segment but they had nothing. They were working on a V8 but it wasn't close to being ready for production (The V8 came out in the E32, the generation that your cousin had). So they decided to throw a K27 on a 3.2L I6 and called it the M102. Later they bumped up the displacement and dropped the boost from 10 to 6psi and came out with the M106. Both make 252hp/280tq. The M106 has forged rods and oil squirters for piston cooling, and this is an engine that came out in 1984!

DSC_4466-XL.jpg

DSCN3929-XL.jpg

I hope to throw a wastegate, gears and 3" exhaust at this car and get it deep into the 14's soon. It ran a 15.7@ 92 bone stock. This car has absolutely no low end with incredible turbo lag and 2.93 gears lol.

TClark22

Established Member
I have a question...who the f cares...is this not a mustang site?

On a nicer note...my dad has an 08 335i and it hasn't had any troubles. Plenty of power, handles great...would not drive it daily. Mirrors sucks...its an autofaggot...etc Drove it for a week while my ST was getting repaired and I wanted my ST back so bad by the end of the week it wasn't even funny.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
wow, didnt know the they were plagued with problems. ive never heard anything relating to the turbo cars specifically. just bimmers in general lol.

i live here in bmw central. especially the 3 series. theyre everywhere. BUT, in the past year, ive been seeing WAY more lexus IS Fsports. i see those every where now. i dont think it has the power of the turbo 3 but the inside of those things is spectacular. the digital guages like in the LSF. but they also cost $$$. looks like the 3 series leasers may have jumped ship to Lexus.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
My brother has an '11 335is cab and has had no issues.... with that said any German made car is not worth keeping outside of the warranty unless you have deep pockets.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
My best friend works for BMW service. He won't recommend any BMWs to anyone unless they have a warranty lol.

They drop in value faster than any car I have ever seen too. His dealership sold a 7 series which had a sticker price of just under $130,000 and the customer traded the car in later. It was for sale on the same lot for $64,000 with 8k miles, 1 model year old.

Gravik

Established Member
They're cool cars, but I would never own one. Would be too tempted to get a tune, exhaust, etc. Then bye bye warranty.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
My best friend works for BMW service. He won't recommend any BMWs to anyone unless they have a warranty lol.

They drop in value faster than any car I have ever seen too. His dealership sold a 7 series which had a sticker price of just under $130,000 and the customer traded the car in later. It was for sale on the same lot for $64,000 with 8k miles, 1 model year old.

This. When I looked at them back in the day I realized that they dropped QUICK in value

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
They're cool cars, but I would never own one. Would be too tempted to get a tune, exhaust, etc. Then bye bye warranty.

JB4 is a piggyback and can be removed for dealer visits. Dealer has no idea the car was "tuned" when bringing in for warranty reasons from what I've read.

One of the MANY vehicles I have contemplated owning. I change cars like socks. Can't beat 100rwhp from a $400 plug in piggyback unit.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Don't believe the hype... I was told by a BMW tech they can tell if the car had a tune. My bro was going to do it and found that out and said no way.
They are great driving cars, just keep them covered under warranty.

Last edited:

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member

Nothing against new cars, but this is why I purchase preo-owned cars with a warranty.
The depreciation is so extreme that it will make me sick if I purchased a new car and within 1-2 years it's worth almost 1/2 of what I paid for it.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Basically any German car will drop in value like a stone. My friends 2000 M5 that he bought for 12,500 was a 70,000+ car when it was new. They are the kings of depreciation no matter what brand you look at.

Hell any euro luxury car is like that, anyone ever price out a jaguar or land rover?

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
JB4 turns any 335 into another animal. My car moves out with it and not that I have a warranty, but once its removed, no one would know the car was ever messed around with.

Users who are viewing this thread