Multiple Thermostat failures

Hillibilly Pony

Established Member
ok this is the second time in less than 2 months ive had the thermostat fail and blow coolant by the damn thing. first time i did not know about the coolant plug and ended up changing the water pump also. workd great until today. only common thing is that it was cold here in VA and i had the heater on. first time was one fo the first sunny days and i had the top down and heat on. i have read on here about drilling holes in the thermostat and all that but doesnt really seem to be applicable since it basically works. anyone have any suggestions

i did not....NEVER actually thought of that. but is there a chance they would work for several hundred miles and then fail

Its always possible...but 2 failures in a row like that seems unlikely.

I've had a total of 6 overheating episodes between my Terminator and 01 Cobra and its always been a result of a radiator cap failure or not properly burping the cooling system after tinkering with it or not replacing the plastic radiator expansion tank after an overheating episode. The cooling systems on these cars are very annoying and finicky.

In my own experience, I've only had 1 t-stat go bad. That was after 50k on the car. In every other instance, I've boiled the t-stat and they opened properly. It was always one of the aforementioned things that was the culprit.

Hillibilly Pony

Established Member
ill look into that for sure...i suppose the alumnium tank is good for that reason huh
one quick other issue. how long before i should see fluid movement in the supercharger tank

Blueline

Established Member
The coolant in the intercooler tank depends on your tune. Some tuners set it up to come on as soon as the car is running. Some tunes it comes up at certain temps. The stock tune doesnt come on until the ECT is up to temp and a few other parameters are met.

ill look into that for sure...i suppose the alumnium tank is good for that reason huh
one quick other issue. how long before i should see fluid movement in the supercharger tank

I went with an aluminum tank a long time ago because of how expensive the stock ones are to replace and their high failure rate when you overheat.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member

Typically within a few mins of starting the vehicle the Intercooler fluid should start cycling.

I would upgrade to an aluminum expansion tank and install a Reische 170* thermostat.

Reische Performance 170 Degree High Performance Thermostat - Thermostats - Cooling - 03-04 SVT Cobra

hotcobra03

Established Member
sounds like you have other issues....i remember my first overheat...i too went tstat..found out the hard way...i still have the tstat it wasnt bad...

i have had the broken heatercore issue..

ive had the cracked head issue,

ive had the fan blade break issue,

ive had the gasket on oilcooler issue..

ive had the radiator leak issue...

only issue in list that didnt effect car within mins was the cracked head,,this was more a lose of fluid,,,where is it going?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread