Murder by decapitation = Slap on the wrist

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
http://news.yahoo.com/man-gets-4-years-beheading-man-guitar-string-220806759.html
LYNDON, Kan. (AP) — A Kansas man was sentenced Monday to four years and two months in prison for beheading another man with a guitar string after a plea deal that prosecutors said they accepted because of problems with the case.

James Paul Harris originally was charged with first-degree murder in the 2011 death of James Gerety, but pleaded no contest in December to involuntary manslaughter.

The victim's brother, Tom Gerety, called the justice system "a joke" after learning how long Harris would serve, The Topeka Capital-Journal (http://bit.ly/1y9j6rP) reports. But Osage County Attorney Brandon Jones said pursuing the more serious charge posed challenges because of problems with evidence and witnesses.

A former girlfriend testified last year that Harris told her he shot Gerety in the stomach, tortured him for two days, then cut off his head. Prosecutors allege Harris kept Gerety's head for months for some type of religious practice. Part of the skull was found in March 2012 in rural Osage County on land where Harris' father lived.

"You can murder somebody and get out in 50 months," Tom Gerety said. "What's that tell everybody on the wrong side of the law?"

Other than a portion of the victim's skull, prosecutors didn't have the victim's body, the murder weapon hadn't been recovered, not all of the prosecution's witnesses were available, and prosecutors faced "credibility issues" with a major witness, Jones said.

"It was going to be a tough case to prosecute," Jones said.

Harris declined to say anything during the sentencing. The judge asked if Tom Gerety wanted to say anything.

"It wouldn't do any good," Tom Gerety said.

Cut a guys head off = 4yrs
Get caught with 2 ounces of a green "herbal supplement" = 10-15yrs :nonono:

oldmodman

Established Member
You just have to love our legal system.

Cut off someone's head and get 4 years and two months.

Be caught in possession of LSD and get 40 years. And not even a sellable amount.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A slap on the wrist would be better than a slap on the back of the head.....

:lol1:

Blown 89

Established Member
If you unjustly take someone's life and your time on Earth should be cut short IMO. The crime should equal the punishment in cases like that.

HandBanana

Established Member
Two ounces of pot? GOOD. I ****ing hate dopey, worthless pot heads. USELESS.

As far as the murder is concerned, that is CRAZY. At least the victim's family can pay to have him raped, tortured and murdered in jail if they know the right folks.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Nothing new, shit happens all the time in the legal system.

How about that guy Robert Durst who just had an HBO special about him. Guy murdered someone in 2000, chopped up the body in numerous different pieces and threw it in the ocean, admitted to it in court, and still got off because he said it was "self defense". What kind of individual chops a body up and disposes of it if it was a case of self defense.

o2gt

Established Member
A tragedy for sure. He should have punished much more that's for sure. But I don't understand the attack on the legal system. It likely not the prosicutors fault I'm sure they would have loved a shot at this case.
Really what your upset with is the constitution and the protections it provides.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
Thats crazy. I don't fully understand why he didn't get more time. Does anyone caret to explain?

Handbanana, is your comment supposed to be sarcastic? I honestly can't tell.

This type of punishment is the norm for our legal system up here. Insanity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

I remember hearing about this. It seems irresponsible to be letting this man back into the public unsupervised for any length of time. That story gives me chills.

hb712

Established Member
Law Abiding Citizen comes to mind.

Try the case. You may lose, but at least you can hold your head high.

Edit: No pun intended.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Sounds like they had jack shit for evidence, so what do you expect? Jail anyway just because?

The Grey Beast

Established Member
Sounds like they had jack shit for evidence, so what do you expect? Jail anyway just because?

+1

While the prison sentence is surprisingly short for the crime. One thing is if they had tried to pursue the max sentence and none of the witnesses or evidence worked out, he could have got off with no punishment at all and be back in public today.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread