Murder @ Palm Beach 720S vs ZR1

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’m I hearing a “but” in there?

In raw acceleration, the 720 is about halfway between the 675 and the P1.

I'm looking forward to the Senna, which will combine similar power-to-weight ratio to the P1 with less weight and more grip than the 720.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

I'm looking forward to the Senna, which will combine similar power-to-weight ratio to the P1 with less weight and more grip than the 720.

Will you be picking one up?

Z06

Established Member
now I know why the c8 coming. yeah he was starting to pull back on the hellcat. yeah that weight a killer. who the guy with the 720s, he has a lot of cars in his garage plus a new fort gt.
The owner of DragTimes I think. That's his youtube channel, pretty well off guy with a great collection of cars.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
It's quite simple, American companies are not willing to build cars like the 720S. American cars will continue to be inferior, until American Execs, have the guts to build a 720S. No American car can compete with Europe, period. The Big 3 will never command the same respect as McLaren, ever, because they choose not to. IMO, the 720S is god-awful ugly, but ****ing amazing. I am tired of seeing American car companies do everything they can, to build shitty cars, compared to Europe.

On topic, the ZR1 weighs 3671lbs., according to the rags. The rags list the curb weight of the 720S, at 3167lbs. Both are taken from Motor Trend. Jesus, the ZR1 is nearly 500lbs. heavier. The ZR1 has the same problem as the Hellcat, tons of girth, relative to its class.

bigdave03svt

Established Member
This race seems pointless to me. It’s obvious what car would win. Strip the zr1 to the same weight and remove the parachute on the rear and it’ll be a tighter race. Weight and aero drag make a huge difference. Doesn’t the zr1 make almost 1000lbs of downforce at high speed? The 720 has the aero characteristics of a bullet and a strong man can flip it over LoL.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Building niche hyper cars isn't one of GM's core competencies. They are a full-line OEM who sells more cars in one hour than McLaren does in an entire year. The vette is at least a car some of their buyers can aspire to own one day. Not a car that cost 2X as much as the avg American house. Stay focused on what you do best.

Let's have some realistic expectations here.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member

But of course. Gotta go reset that Laguna Seca lap record.

Why not ever a koenigsegg? I know nothing about supercars.... except shiny

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Are we sure the 720S didn't have a tune on it?

From what I'm told by the GTR owner it was hot as balls that day too.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I felt bad for the z06. Then i felt even worse for it once i realized it was a zr1. I then felt worst realized my reading comprehension is terrible. But i was focused on the "720s" in the title due to me not know what it was. I thought it may be a bike or something.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I felt bad for the z06. Then i felt even worse for it once i realized it was a zr1. I then felt worst realized my reading comprehension is terrible. But i was focused on the "720s" in the title due to me not know what it was. I thought it may be a bike or something.
The funny part is the 720s is faster than almost any production bike save the 1400cc bikes and the H2R. If it isnt faster, a tune will make it faster. Bottom line, the mac cars are blazing and they are only getting faster.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I expected it to be way closer than that. ZR1 got absolutely raped!

The ZR1 barely keeps pace with the 570S. It stands no chance against the 720S. Isn't the 720S a high-9s car?

On topic, the ZR1 weighs 3671lbs., according to the rags. ...

Good lord! The last weight figure I saw was the launch announcement of 3524 lbs. If it's really 3671, it literally weighs more than my GT500! I wasn't really worried about losing to it on the highway before, but now I'm even less worried. What is going on in the world when a friggin' Corvette weighs almost 3700 lbs??? Isn't that, like, 200 lbs heavier than an Ecoboost Mustang??

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
You expected something different? The 720S is two times the price of a fully loaded ZR1 and is a super car.

Yes. The ZR1 has been outperforming cars twice it's cost since it's original debut. To get slaughtered by that length says a lot about how far these cars have come.

GM really needs to put the vette back on the C5/6 diet. Imagine a C6 Z with the powertrain the ZR1 has now, not to mention a C5. I don't know how other manufacturers are getting around all these regulations Ford, GM & Dodge have to that are causing them to turn into obese cars but something has to be done. I'm guessing they will forever be that way unless the price goes up to really start messing w some alien tech those Mclaren's are using.

It's give and take man. I haven't been following cars at all for awhile, I'm pretty blown away by the specs of this thing.

It's got a carbon fiber one-piece tub that includes the roof originally used in the P1. There's no way GM can manufacture at their current production #s, (let alone justify the R&D to go that far at this current time). If GM had some million dollar production cars in their arsenal, maybe.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Yes. The ZR1 has been outperforming cars twice it's cost since it's original debut. To get slaughtered by that length says a lot about how far these cars have come.

I haven't been following cars at all for awhile, I'm pretty blown away by the specs of this thing.
720S has been out for awhile, over a year before the ZR1. I think GT2RS was out before ZR1 too. This isnt like the C6 ZR1 where it would put a beat down on the euro cars. Euro cars (although much more $$$) now have faster cars that arent in the 1 mill or over 500k range. I bet the 600LT will be faster than the ZR1 too.

I really think the only way the ZR1 can pull a faster lap time is if it was done by the factory, with "factory alignment", driven by Jim Mero. Hope they put these cars in Laguna seca and see what Randy Pobst can run.

rdrkt

Established Member
Seeing this makes me really question the zr1 vs Ford GT laptimes. Unless the GT is THAT much slower than the 720s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread