Murdered Out Charger Hellcat Murdered

UOP Shadow

Established Member
I was driving our stock 2013 GT500 with the top down to work in Mexico this morning. There was a murdered out Charger Hellcat ahead of me but I needed to exit. When he saw me put on my signal to exit onto another highway, he slowed way down and put on his signal. He revved and got behind me on the cloverleaf. We had to drive a few miles to get to multiple open lanes of highway. He pulled along side cruising at 70, rolled down his window, nodded, winked & revved. I returned the nod to give him the hit.

He rolled up his window and floored it. His rear tires were at my front tires as I downshifted from 6th to 4th and pushed that good pedal. The Continental DWS tires chirped as I dumped the clutch. I quickly pulled along side & then passed him. Once I had a car length on him I shut it down and let him pull along side. He gave me a thumbs up and I nodded to see if he wanted to go again. He just smiled, shook his head and dropped his speed back down.

I really like the looks of that murdered out Hellcat; it looks great in all black. It just needs a little more on the top end.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I was driving our stock 2013 GT500 with the top down to work in Mexico this morning. There was a murdered out Charger Hellcat ahead of me but I needed to exit. When he saw me put on my signal to exit onto another highway, he slowed way down and put on his signal. He revved and got behind me on the cloverleaf. We had to drive a few miles to get to multiple open lanes of highway. He pulled along side cruising at 70, rolled down his window, nodded, winked & revved. I returned the nod to give him the hit.

He rolled up his window and floored it. His rear tires were at my front tires as I downshifted from 6th to 4th and pushed that good pedal. The Continental DWS tires chirped as I dumped the clutch. I quickly pulled along side & then passed him. Once I had a car length on him I shut it down and let him pull along side. He gave me a thumbs up and I nodded to see if he wanted to go again. He just smiled, shook his head and dropped his speed back down.

I really like the looks of that murdered out Hellcat; it looks great in all black. It just needs a little more on the top end.

Why did you drop into 4th gear if you were going to roll race at 70 mph?

Wouldn't third or possibly second gear be a much better choice?

UOP Shadow

Established Member
The car will not let you drop down into 2nd gear above 60mph. The beauty of the 13 is that 4th pulls like a muther****er. No drop to 3rd needed.

UOP Shadow

Established Member
I told the Mopar guy at work about this and he was really butthurt about it and started making excuses for the driver.

I don't know why the cat lacks torque for high speed pulls. Maybe this guy didn't know how to work the auto transmission or maybe it's just not geared for this type of pull.

Regardless of the outcome, the car looked good and sounded mean. But from 70, this cat couldn't take the snake.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
That's a bit tough to believe he was in the right gear. You were two gears away from the appropriate one for that speed. Either way winning's winning so good kill!

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
The car will not let you drop down into 2nd gear above 60mph. The beauty of the 13 is that 4th pulls like a muther****er. No drop to 3rd needed.

Why would the car "Not let you" drop it down into second? Second gear in the 2013's top out at around 95 mph.

I know how these cars pull, I have put over 30K miles on my Shelby.

So, stock 2013 GT500 roll racing a Hellcat at 70 mph.
Hellcat takes the hit and GT500 drops down into 4th with OEM 3.31 gears and quickly catches and passes the Hellcat.:nonono:

jbs$

Established Member
OP, I owned a 13 Shelby and am now driving a Hellcat, I know both cars extremely well. There is something not right with the picture that you paint and I suspect that it has to do with the Hellcat Driver. I suspect this, he doesn't know his car very well and it was most likely an 6 speed. The guy didn't know when to shift to get the benefit of his higher HP motor and you out drove him. Congrats ( if it was an 8sp, he was trying to paddle shift without knowing what he was doing)

UOP Shadow

Established Member
Why would the car "Not let you" drop it down into second? Second gear in the 2013's top out at around 95 mph.

I know how these cars pull, I have put over 30K miles on my Shelby.

So, stock 2013 GT500 roll racing a Hellcat at 70 mph.
Hellcat takes the hit and GT500 drops down into 4th with OEM 3.31 gears and quickly catches and passes the Hellcat.:nonono:
The 2013 is quite different than the 2012. Drive the two stock & you'll see what I mean.

Our car will not downshift from 4th to 2nd over 60mph. I can shift from 1st to 2nd over 70 mph so I don't know why it locks out the downshift. I don't know if it has anything to do with the car being a vert. In 4th, 70 to 100 is just a split second and 4th gear will pull all the way past 120. 2nd gear would be a complete waste of time because I would have to shift immediately to 3rd. I could have done the pull in 3rd if I had thought the cat would have been a challenge or I couldn't pull past it in 4th. Pulling from 4th at this speed is very much like digging from 2nd, the car will do it quite nicely without riding close to the redline.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
The basic difference is this; between 0 to 150 the Shelby can use 4 gears while the A8 Hellcat will use 5-6, this will keep it's higher HP, higher torque engine centered in it's power band and, stock to stock, it will win.

UOP Shadow

Established Member
My guess is he was too new to the car to have the correct gear. He still had temp plates on the car. That's probably why he didn't want to go again.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
I saw on the Hellcat site that one has now run a 10.03 @ 140. This with a tune and pulleys.

Users who are viewing this thread