Mushroom cloud over Damascus (massive bomb)

Ducci

Established Member
When Sam Harris wrote Letter to a Christian Nation in 2006, there was a Gallup poll that showed 44% of Americans believed that Jesus Christ would return sometime within the next fifty years. The most common interpretation of biblical prophecy was that Jesus would return only after things have gone horribly awry here on earth. It is therefore not an exaggeration to suggest that many Christians would see a silver lining in a nuclear mushroom cloud over New York City, for example. It should be blindingly obvious to us that these beliefs will not help us create a durable future—socially, economically, environmentally, or geopolitically.

:read:

That sux. What was the sample size of these people polled because I wasn't asked anything.:shrug:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Religious people have been making end of world predictions since religion has existed. And not once have they been right....

I wonder what the odds they are right this time...

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
Religious people have been making end of world predictions since religion has existed. And not once have they been right....

I wonder what the odds they are right this time...

Except that Israel became a nation in 1948, and multiple countries have nuclear weapon technology and many are motivated to use them.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Except that Israel became a nation in 1948, and multiple countries have nuclear weapon technology and many are motivated to use them.

It would be a tragic thing if a nuclear war broke out in the ME, especially because it would all be based on irrational myths.

That being said, the world will not end whether it happens or not. I'm not pretending to be an oracle and this isn't a prediction. This is just the most plausible reality. At one time Hitler was supposedly the anti christ, no doubt similar scenarios will play out again.

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
It would be a tragic thing if a nuclear war broke out in the ME, especially because it would all be based on irrational myths.

That being said, the world will not end whether it happens or not. I'm not pretending to be an oracle and this isn't a prediction. This is just the most plausible reality. At one time Hitler was supposedly the anti christ, no doubt similar scenarios will play out again.

I agree. Loss of innocent life on any scale is tragic, but their is something to be said about preparing for the future.

Regardless, whoever said the world would end? Not even the Christian Bible makes that claim.

Israel becoming a nation in 1948 is an absolute game changer and was predicted some 2200 years ago.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
When Sam Harris wrote Letter to a Christian Nation in 2006, there was a Gallup poll that showed 44% of Americans believed that Jesus Christ would return sometime within the next fifty years. The most common interpretation of biblical prophecy was that Jesus would return only after things have gone horribly awry here on earth. It is therefore not an exaggeration to suggest that many Christians would see a silver lining in a nuclear mushroom cloud over New York City, for example. It should be blindingly obvious to us that these beliefs will not help us create a durable future—socially, economically, environmentally, or geopolitically.

:read:

That Gallup poll bears no meaning because Christians have been believing Christ would return within "x" amount of years ever since the supposed resurrection of Christ. It also makes no sense at all since Matthew 24:36 states no one knows the return, thus I do not know why Christians care to predict of second coming.

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
That Gallup poll bears no meaning because Christians have been believing Christ would return within "x" amount of years ever since the supposed resurrection of Christ. It also makes no sense at all since Matthew 24:36 states no one knows the return, thus I do not know why Christians care to predict of second coming.
While you're correct to some degree, one must be careful not to loosely (or specifically even) quote one portion of the Bible, all while negating other pertinent verses of the same involvement. While it is true that NO man knows the day or hour of Christ's return (even Christ didn't in His human form), God has provided us with VERY specific events, geopolitically, environmentally, etc to be acutely aware of to signify the coming hour. Perhaps one of THE most important was the unification of an independent Israel in 1948. The next, likely, will be utter destruction of Damascus, the oldest inhabited city in the world. These are very specific events, predicted thousands of years ago, that are occurring before our very eyes. I won't be foolish enough to say that what occurred last week with the bombing of Syria, right next to Damascus, was the beginning of its ultimate destruction. But I will say that when something of that specific degree, especially with the ever-increasing tumult in that particular region occurs, it puts us (Christians) on a bit of an alert for complete fulfillment of prophecy. But to be clear, as Rob already touched on, I do NOT celebrate any form of war. However, and in response to your statement of not knowing why Christians care to predict the second coming of Christ, we are told the below:

Mathew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. When ye see all these things...(Jesus' coming) near

Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draws near. When these things begin to come to pass

Luke 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. This generation not pass till all be fulfilled

Even still, anyone who makes a specific prediction as to date and hour, run from, for they do NOT know! We are only told to be aware of the signs!

Last edited:

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
Every time I hear someone say Allah akbar I want to choke a puppy. Hopefully that bomb was aimed at a fully loaded mosque

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Does everyone in the middle east mumble like an idiot?

It's like the guy saw bigfoot...come on.

E

7.62x51

Established Member
While you're correct to some degree, one must be careful not to loosely (or specifically even) quote one portion of the Bible, all while negating other pertinent verses of the same involvement. While it is true that NO man knows the day or hour of Christ's return (even Christ didn't in His human form), God has provided us with VERY specific events, geopolitically, environmentally, etc to be acutely aware of to signify the coming hour. Perhaps one of THE most important was the unification of an independent Israel in 1948. The next, likely, will be utter destruction of Damascus, the oldest inhabited city in the world. These are very specific events, predicted thousands of years ago, that are occurring before our very eyes. I won't be foolish enough to say that what occurred last week with the bombing of Syria, right next to Damascus, was the beginning of its ultimate destruction. But I will say that when something of that specific degree, especially with the ever-increasing tumult in that particular region occurs, it puts us (Christians) on a bit of an alert for complete fulfillment of prophecy. But to be clear, as Rob already touched on, I do NOT celebrate any form of war. However, and in response to your statement of not knowing why Christians care to predict the second coming of Christ, we are told the below:

Mathew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. When ye see all these things...(Jesus' coming) near

Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draws near. When these things begin to come to pass

Luke 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. This generation not pass till all be fulfilled

Even still, anyone who makes a specific prediction as to date and hour, run from, for they do NOT know! We are only told to be aware of the signs!

Spot on.

DirtyDan10

Established Member
LOL I was just making a modern day reference and they were assyrians or something like that back then, and A roman province during 7 BC?

Maybe Im wrong?:beer:

A roman province? NO we are thousands of years older then them
Greeks even admit to translating the bible from Assyrian to Greek

bscarberry

Established Member
...and this short article will explain the potential significance of this event. Praise God for His truths, made more and more evident every day!

CLICK HERE------> Bill Salus

crazy-religious-woman-o.gif

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
SCBQQSTN said:
That Gallup poll bears no meaning...

Misguided or not, the Gallup poll is what it is.

As I said, please stop pretending that all Christians think like and agree with you.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
whiplash306 said:
While you're correct to some degree, one must be careful not to loosely (or specifically even) quote one portion of the Bible, all while negating other pertinent verses of the same involvement.

If the bible was written by the creator of the universe, one wouldn't need to be careful because all verses would be in perfect harmony. Here are 437 contradictions to the contrary:

Tip: Click for a full picture of reality.

whiplash306 said:
...God has provided us with VERY specific events, geopolitically, environmentally, etc to be acutely aware of to signify the coming hour. Perhaps one of THE most important was the unification of an independent Israel in 1948. The next, likely, will be utter destruction of Damascus, the oldest inhabited city in the world. These are very specific events, predicted thousands of years ago, that are occurring before our very eyes...Even still, anyone who makes a specific prediction as to date and hour, run from, for they do NOT know! We are only told to be aware of the signs!

Biblical predictions concern inevitable events. Nations rise and fall. It's what they do. Couple this with the fact that no prediction includes an essential *time* factor, and what you have are predictions entirely void of prediction value and risk.

whiplash306 said:
But to be clear, as Rob already touched on, I do NOT celebrate any form of war.

I appreciate this but unfortunately we cannot say this for all parties of god.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
wurd2 said:
...please stop pretending that all Christians think like and agree with you.

SCBQQSTN said:
May you please quote me where I said such a statement?

You implied it. I'll color-code it for you.

wurd2 said:
...here on earth we have millions of Christians looking forward to nuclear mushroom clouds over major cities.

SCBQQSTN said:
That is an extremely false statement. As a believer of Jesus of Nazareth, I do not wish the death or destruction of any city in this world...I don't sit around wishing for H-bombs to go off anywhere in this planet. You are under the assumption that Christians believe that World War III must take place in order for the prophesied return of Jesus to take place.

1. I made a general statement about millions of Christians (see green).

2. You claimed my statement concerning millions of Christians is false (see red).

3. You supported your claim with instances of what you (see large bold) believe, thereby implying that all Christians think like you (see blue).

4. You went further to apply your beliefs onto the rest of Christianity, as if Christians are unified (see purple).

Let me know if you have any questions.

whiplash306

Established Member
If the bible was written by the creator of the universe, one wouldn't need to be careful because all verses would be in perfect harmony. Here are 437 contradictions to the contrary:

Tip: Click for a full picture of reality.

Biblical predictions concern inevitable events. Nations rise and fall. It's what they do. Couple this with the fact that no prediction includes an essential *time* factor, and what you have are predictions entirely void of prediction value and risk.

I appreciate this but unfortunately we cannot say this for all parties of god.

Wurd, I appreciate your intelligence. However, as I've learned over the years of reading your contributions to various threads involving spiritual and/or "religious" sorts of conversations, we are polar opposites in our approach to these topics. For every quote or resource you provide, I could likely provide the same but from the opposite spectrum of explanation. Literally, we could go back and forth for hours and days and make no head-way......and I'm perfectly okay without doing so. I grow tired of debate as it more often than not leads nowhere. I appreciate the banter, when done so in a respectful manner, but purposefully choose to no longer engage in the same.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
whiplash306 said:
Wurd, I appreciate your intelligence. However, as I've learned over the years of reading your contributions to various threads involving spiritual and/or "religious" sorts of conversations, we are polar opposites in our approach to these topics.

Understood.

whiplash306 said:
I grow tired of debate as it more often than not leads nowhere. I appreciate the banter, when done so in a respectful manner, but purposefully choose to no longer engage in the same.

I accept your surrender.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread