Must have OEM/Performance spare parts for 2013-2014 Shelby GT500

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Norton here is a link to the car with a description of what an L88 car is. I am very much a fan of Chevrolet cars from the mid 60s to 1970. I have owned a very rare optioned 69 Camaro that a kid with no drivers license totaled in the early 80s when he T-boned me running a stop sign at a fairly high speed and a not so rare 69 Chevelle 396SS. I'm very much of a fan of the Big Block Rat engines. What a lot of people don't know about the L88 is there are actually two different designs of this engine. The first design was found in the 67 and 68 Corvettes which there very few of. The engine is a 427 steel block aluminum headed engine with larger 7/16" rod bolt rods, 7/16" diameter pushrods, radical solid lifter camshaft and 12.5:1 pistons. These engines could turn 7500 RPM without too much effort and stay together. The first design engines used closed chamber heads, whereas the 2nd design engines in 69 used open chamber aluminum heads. The 2nd design engines are basically the same engine as a ZL1 but use an iron block versus the aluminum block in the ZL1. From what I researched when this car popped up on Mecum for sale was the person that finally restored it in the mid 90s spent a number of years sourcing the engine part after he bought it in the 80s. I know the car sat where I found it with the guy trying to sell it for what I thought was an outrageous price for 2 years. It actually sat outside alongside the road for anyone passing by to see it. I went by to check on it about every month or so to look at it on a Sunday when no one was around while it sat there trying to talk myself into buying it. I talked to the owner a number of times and he wouldn't budge on his price. I knew to source the parts and build the engine to factory specs was going to cost $10K or more........if I could find the parts. It is this that made me walk away from the car each time I looked at it. I estimated that I'd have 3-4 times what I could purchase a nice running 67 coupe for by the time I bought everything it needed and restored the paint correctly. The car was minus the engine, transmission, driveshaft, exhaust system, hood and all of the supporting engine parts under the hood when I looked at it. The paint was faded and cracked due to it being lacquer of that time. The body had zero flaws and all of the bright work was there in good shape. It hadn't been molested for being raced as much as the owner claimed it was by the original owner. It still had the rally wheels on it which surprised me. I knew it was probably going to be an investment car and not something you'd want to drive much, I just couldn't justify the investment as collecting cars as an investment hadn't taken off to what it is today.

That all tracks. Not sure why I read Mecum and saw B-J. Need to get my eyes checked...

Bad Company

Established Member
That all tracks. Not sure why I read Mecum and saw B-J. Need to get my eyes checked...
Mecum sold a butternut yellow with black interior that had the original engine and drivetrain a few years ago for the exuberant price of 3.4 million dollars. The red car estimated auction price was 3.4 million also. It actually brought $2,585,000 plus buyers fees. My wife was usually with me when I stopped to look at the red car and she didn't want me to buy the car, as she knew I'd want to build the engine as close to original as possible. I made sure she watched this car go at auction, unfortunately it didn't seem to upset her one bit.

The closed chamber aluminum cylinder heads to replicate the build were probably the hardest pieces to find. They were only used on the L89 396 375Hp engines and the L88 427 engines from 67 to mid 69. Probably less than 500 sets of these heads were used in production. Also these earlier aluminum cylinder heads were easily damaged when swapping in larger solid lift cams, they usually pulled the threads or cracked the rocker arm studs bosses. From what I found out about the car the person that restored it spent approximately 10 years to locate the correct parts to do this correctly. Today I doubted you'd be lucky enough to find an unmolested or undamaged set of cylinder heads with the correct date codes to do this again.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Brand new in the box thermostat Housing showed up on ebay Part# 7R3Z-8592-D. These are obselete and are extremely hard to come by. If yours breaks or leaks from corrosion you are ****ed. Dont pass up. High price but can be negotiated. THIS IS FOR NON SUPER COOLING GT500!

s-l1600.jpg

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
$352.35 is price gouging on the shipping charges unless it was next day air early morning delivery. The box is oversized due to its length, but it shouldn't have been that expensive even considering that.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
352.00 to ship from LV to AZ......insane! Don't blame you!

$352.35 is price gouging on the shipping charges unless it was next day air early morning delivery. The box is oversized due to its length, but it shouldn't have been that expensive even considering that.
That's kinda how felt, it would be cheaper for me to drive to Vegas and pick it up in person

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I came close, but i couldn't justify the 1,100 for one right now. Maybe next time lol. View attachment 1835438

It's probably a blem they found under a stack of tires from 2015

View attachment 1835793

Yours is cheaper to ship to your location Yet, Steve is a hop. skip and jump from SAI? Crazy....:oops:
Looks like @1Kona_Venom's was actually $62 more than @2011 gtcs's quote. Still crazy, but not quite as much.

Shelby's ($392) shipping cost to Colo Spgs for one is $142 higher than the ($250) quote I got to ship it on my own FedEx account. Again, crazy, but unsurprising from SA! o_O

Users who are viewing this thread