Must read: Did you know you can still get Carol Shelby's signature.

Trubble

Established Member
Must read: Did you know you can still get Carol Shelby's signature.

Get A Commemorative Signature | The Carroll Shelby Foundation

I think this is gone too far. (Even though its for charity) Getting a certificate of authenticity for a photocopied signature is ridiculous :bs:

How do you feel about this? Agree or disagree?

Agree. :idea:
In my mind, the right thing to do is give to this good cause, but I'd pass on the faux autograph...

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Yeah, I've had quite some time to think about this.

I would not do it, but that said,

If thats the bread and butter of the CSCF, and the alternative is the charity just goes away, and those kids lose that channel of medical care, is your answer still the same?

Im not trying to guilt anyone into submission here, but this was Carroll's most important legacy. (For him it really was). You all get to enjoy your cars he helped create. Is it really asking too much to let them get whatever funds they can? CSCF isn't exactly getting a tremendous boost from ShelbynAmerican right now. So it seems that already CSCF has lost big support from the one place it should get it. Jenny hasn't always been on top of my requests Ill admit, but when she calls on me, I will do any and everything I can to help the charity. (I trailered my 2011 gt350 on closed iced over roads so it could be on display at a Super Bowl party in Dallas in 2011 when everyone else said they couldn't make it due to weather.)

I get it though. Just remember where the money is going. It's not buying Cleo a new miniature giraffe, or a golden toilet paper holder. It goes to kids who are dying every single day. Sorry for the perspective.

Saxgod

+1 on what dubbs said. Also the signature is discernible from the non-auto penned signature so don't worry about your "real" signatures going down in value. I think it's a good thing. This has been in place since CS passed so definitely not "news".

Gabed1972

Established Member
+1 on what dubbs said. Also the signature is discernible from the non-auto penned signature so don't worry about your "real" signatures going down in value. I think it's a good thing. This has been in place since CS passed so definitely not "news".

Not "news" it's just not right.:nono:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If it makes someone happy, more power to them and the foundation.

I do know the difference between his signature and the auto pen stuff is the number of vertical hashes on the underline. His real signature has two. The auto pen has three which was done on purpose so it couldn't be passed off as real.

Tom

dubbsfaris

Established Member
Think it's just another example of how far out of hand the Shelby marketing has gone.

Except is has nothing to do with Shelby. It doesn't get ordered through Shelby, done at Shelby or paid to Shelby.

It's the foundation, and their only source of income now.

If you want to dogpile ShelbynAmerican, feel free.

But unless you think kids who need heart transplants are a bullshit marketing scam, why don't you let them do their thing? Who you gonna call out next? March of Dimes? Those Red Cross people sure have a lot of gall calling my house for money....

CSCF offers a tribute signature of CS. You can take it or leave it. You don't have to call a number and cancel before 30 days ownership of your car, or your cc gets charged.

Carroll did two things until the day he couldn't get out of bed.
1. He made sure Ford was going in the right direction with the cars bearing his name that you now enjoy. He had a contract in place. He didnt have to do anything else. He was gonna get paid if the 2013 came out as a new Pinto.
2. He signed autographs. Countless autographs. All for the benefit of the charity.

If it had been me, I wouldn't have given two seconds of my last remaining months to Ford or any of us.

The irony here is that you don't have a problem with all the ridiculous circus marketing that built up to the 2013. Your problem is with a tribute signature that raises money for sick kids.:bash:

That just doesn't sit well with me.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Except is has nothing to do with Shelby. It doesn't get ordered through Shelby, done at Shelby or paid to Shelby.

It's the foundation, and their only source of income now.

If you want to dogpile ShelbynAmerican, feel free.

But unless you think kids who need heart transplants are a bullshit marketing scam, why don't you let them do their thing? Who you gonna call out next? March of Dimes? Those Red Cross people sure have a lot of gall calling my house for money....

CSCF offers a tribute signature of CS. You can take it or leave it. You don't have to call a number and cancel before 30 days ownership of your car, or your cc gets charged.

Carroll did two things until the day he couldn't get out of bed.
1. He made sure Ford was going in the right direction with the cars bearing his name that you now enjoy. He had a contract in place. He didnt have to do anything else. He was gonna get paid if the 2013 came out as a new Pinto.
2. He signed autographs. Countless autographs. All for the benefit of the charity.

If it had been me, I wouldn't have given two seconds of my last remaining months to Ford or any of us.

The irony here is that you don't have a problem with all the ridiculous circus marketing that built up to the 2013. Your problem is with a tribute signature that raises money for sick kids.:bash:

That just doesn't sit well with me.

Proud to have his real sig on my my 08's dash and even prouder to see the money go to the foundation! You're a true Shelby guy!

dubbsfaris

Established Member
Thanks 5.0

Im not looking to troll anyone.

I get the perception of Shelby American. I have bought a GT350 from them, been through the process, the broken promises, the lack of service....I know as well if not better than most. It's the very reason I DON'T own it now. But that's nothing to do with Carroll. And even less to do with the foundation. My hope is that people see the difference, and don't tie the two entities that only share a common name.

Im sure most, like Gabed see this as a money grab from Shelby American. But they truly get Zero out of this. Arent the slightest bit involved.

...if they were, it would likely cost double, take three times longer to get, and fade out after a single exposure to the sun.

There, see? I don't mind yall diggin on SA, I'll even have a little fun with the perceived reputation myself!

Gabed1972

Established Member
Thanks 5.0

Im not looking to troll anyone.

I get the perception of Shelby American. I have bought a GT350 from them, been through the process, the broken promises, the lack of service....I know as well if not better than most. It's the very reason I DON'T own it now. But that's nothing to do with Carroll. And even less to do with the foundation. My hope is that people see the difference, and don't tie the two entities that only share a common name.

Im sure most, like Gabed see this as a money grab from Shelby American. But they truly get Zero out of this. Arent the slightest bit involved.

...if they were, it would likely cost double, take three times longer to get, and fade out after a single exposure to the sun.

There, see? I don't mind yall diggin on SA, I'll even have a little fun with the perceived reputation myself!

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression I am all for helping sick kids. I just think an the idea of "getting a certificate of authentication" to certify a copy of a dead guys copied Robo signature is ridiculous.

Maybe now other charities will now do "auto pen" signatures of Babe Ruth on baseballs, or other celebrities that have passed to help their cause?

If they want to help the kids they should have given a percentage of the proceeds on all the parts shelby america sells every day or precentage of proceeds from the profit on the over priced speciality cars (super snakes, gt350's and various anniversary editions) they sell.

I am sorry I still think the "auto pen" is :bs:

5.0 guy

Established Member
I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression I am all for helping sick kids. I just think an the idea of "getting a certificate of authentication" to certify a copy of a dead guys copied Robo signature is ridiculous.

Maybe now other charities will now do "auto pen" signatures of Babe Ruth on baseballs, or other celebrities that have passed to help their cause?

If they want to help the kids they should have given a percentage of the proceeds on all the parts shelby america sells every day or precentage of proceeds from the profit on the over priced speciality cars (super snakes, gt350's and various anniversary editions) they sell.

I am sorry I still think the "auto pen" is :bs:

I think they have the right idea to try and keep the foundation alive but just need to work on what they have to offer. I don't think you are hiving off the wrong idea, the auto pen is tacky but all they have for now. Hopefully they can come up with something better in the near future!

dubbsfaris

Established Member
+1

Im not a fan of autopen. Heck, I had Carroll sitting in my car, and didnt ask him to sign it then. (my 2008, not my 2014 obviously)

I just wont say anything against the foundation for doing it...

As for what Shelby American should or should not be doing with money, thats not even worth discussing. My perception of SA is they arent exactly sitting on a wad of cash. They are considered a penny stock company as it is.

and thats just what Im willing to discuss openly. What I know privately has driven me to many empty bottles of scotch. (seriously)

Users who are viewing this thread