Mustang Racing

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Fuel pressure regulation maybe?

You'd have to monitor that along with injectors, and the ECU programming for pulsewidth and everything else also then. Probably more complicated then coming up with some sort of intake or exhaust restriction. Also, they like something they can hand out at the beginning of the weekend and take back at the end. So I would rule out an exhaust restrictor also, I'm guessing if they do anything it will be an intake restrictor, I'm just not sure what the intake looks like to speculate how they will implement it. I suppose they could restrict RPM too though since I believe their V8 limiter is at 8500, at least I think that's what the street car will spin. They may have it turned up from there even I suppose.:shrug:

03'Darin

Established Member
Yeah, we've been waiting to see a bulletin stating how they plan to slow down the BMW's. They are getting more into restrictors since the older Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers all have them. I'm wondering if they will do that with the BMWs how they plan to implement it since they have individual throttle bodies for each cylinder.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure they did take one of Multimatics new 5.0L's so we'll see if they change anything there as well.

BTW, it turned out our car was wounded due to a fuel filter disintegrating and restricting fuel flow. It should be one interesting season though! I'm looking forward to it for sure! Good luck to the JBS guys:thumbsup:

Thanks Tom! As always good luck to you guys also!! :beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Homestead Race will be televised this Saturday 3-13 at 1:00pm according to Grand Am's website. Hopefully we don't get screwed over again. Hope you all are able to catch this one!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Homestead Race will be televised this Saturday 3-13 at 1:00pm according to Grand Am's website. Hopefully we don't get screwed over again. Hope you all are able to catch this one!

Thanks!!!

Definitely DVR'ing it

One question, what is the difference, other than lap times between the GS and GT class cars? I noticed that there were Camaro's in both classes. Are there any mustangs in both classes?

03'Darin

Established Member
Thanks!!!

Definitely DVR'ing it

One question, what is the difference, other than lap times between the GS and GT class cars? I noticed that there were Camaro's in both classes. Are there any mustangs in both classes?

Substantial difference between the cars. GT cars are lighter, more HP, bigger brakes tires and wheels, different transmissions, different suspensions setups, aero stuff and so on. There was a Mustang ("Man Racer") running GT last year but I don't know if there are any running this year.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
At Barber this weekend with Rolex and Indy car. If anyone is local this should be a good weekend for coming to watch some racing!

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I was going to work F&C but too many things going. May try to come down Sat or Sun.

Rolex and Conti races are on Saturday. I assume the Indy race is on Sunday since they neglected to put it on our schedule and I haven't looked it up elsewhere.

VNEMUS

Established Member
I went to Barber on 3/26 - 3/29 with a friend racing his 2008 ACR Viper at a Porsche/BMW/NARRA/Viper Racing League Event. Kinetic BMW and Racers Edge guys were there getting some practice. The track and facility is top notch. Lots of fast drivers at that event.:rockon: I'd love to run there someday, its just such a haul from New England!

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I went to Barber on 3/26 - 3/29 with a friend racing his 2008 ACR Viper at a Porsche/BMW/NARRA/Viper Racing League Event. Kinetic BMW and Racers Edge guys were there getting some practice. The track and facility is top notch. Lots of fast drivers at that event.:rockon: I'd love to run there someday, its just such a haul from New England!

Let just say their testing didn't help them ;)

Watch the race on Speed, 4/17 at 3:00pm ET:beer:

Dave_6

Established Member
I was there all weekend and it was great to see all those Mustang's up front during the Continental Tire race! I had to leave before it was over but that was maybe the most fun race to watch all weekend! Already set my DVR to record it!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Let just say their testing didn't help them ;)

Watch the race on Speed, 4/17 at 3:00pm ET:beer:

I was watching the Rolex race this past weekend and was wondering how in the hell the RX8's pretty much dominate the GT class?

Do you have any insight on how the that happens?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
What's the story with the other cars.

Shouldn't a Corvette be able to beat a RX8.

Grand Am does a decent job of keeping the cars on equal playing ground depending on what mods the cars are allowed. My guess is that the teams running RX8's are better at car prep and adjustment than the teams running Corvettes. Or they just have better drivers.

I know a guy on the Mazda factory team and he is an excellent race mechanic. He was working on the Mazda that won the 24 hour race this year, which tells me they are probably better racers than the other teams.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Grand Am does a decent job of keeping the cars on equal playing ground depending on what mods the cars are allowed. My guess is that the teams running RX8's are better at car prep and adjustment than the teams running Corvettes. Or they just have better drivers.

I know a guy on the Mazda factory team and he is an excellent race mechanic. He was working on the Mazda that won the 24 hour race this year, which tells me they are probably better racers than the other teams.

Sounds like they do their best to equalize the teams, I just don't agree that factory based race car with 200hp should ever be on the same playing field as one that starts out at 500. Put them in different classes, instead of limiting the hell out of some of the cars.

The GS class in the Conti series all seem to be in the same league (their street car cousins) as each other, so that seems fine to me. The Gt class in the Rolex on the other hand:bored: Watching RX8's out lap Vettes, Porsche, and BMW's doesn't seem right:dw: What's next, a Volvo wagon running at the front next year lol?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread