mustang running rough

5.0jake

Established Member
I did have a 93 performance tune from Bama. Ford replaced my motor and I get it tomorrow. :banana:

Either they couldn't tell you had a tune or really didn't look...
I was wondering if you had the same problem as the link I posted?
Did they mention anything about you having a tune?
Did they say what could have caused your motor to fail?

Get some 5.0

Established Member
They didnt say anything about the tune or mods. Not sure what they looked at. Still dont have my car, they are telling me late tomorrow evening now. I really cant get mad cause they did put a new motor in it. I know the dealership pulled the motor. They did tear into it, just sent it to ford.

Get some 5.0

Established Member
Well after a day of having my new engine, I got a check engine light. I was scared as shit. Hooked up my SCT to see what the code was. It told me that B1 and B2 were running lean. So I called Bama and told them the codes and the said it was doing that because I have a Steeda CAI on the car with no Tune. So I went ahead and put the tune on and cleared the codes. Drove it for a while that night, and then to work this morning and no codes thank god. I havent got on any yet, a liitle gun shy I guess.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
I know for a fact that they can. I was told straight from the lips of Ford. I had to spend $900 years ago while my L was still under warranty for a new ECU because they sent it back to Ford and it was found that I had installed a tune on it. I never told them it was tuned and I know it wasnt a lucky guess.

I have also been told by Ford employees that they have the means to test your motor oil and test for traces of burnt n2o in case you blow your motor for some unknown reason while running n2o they know whether or not to honor the warranty.

Yes, they can also tell if you ate tacos the night before with another test:

SicShelby09

Banned
Bottom line, if ford trys to tell you that you had a tune because there were not enough engine drive cycles, you tell them you pulled the battery leads for several hours to try to clear the codes. Then when you reattached and drove it around the block, it threw the code again and to the dealer you went. Case closed.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Bottom line, if ford trys to tell you that you had a tune because there were not enough engine drive cycles, you tell them you pulled the battery leads for several hours to try to clear the codes. Then when you reattached and drove it around the block, it threw the code again and to the dealer you went. Case closed.

you know whats funny about that... they dont care what you tell them...Allready tryed that one

SicShelby09

Banned
you know whats funny about that... they dont care what you tell them...Allready tryed that one

Lawyer up. As stated above, the Mag-moss warranty act states that the burden of proof is on THEM not you. Get a lawyer to send them a letter and see what happens. Its all you got left.

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
Seems some are getting new motors and some are not. I refuse to load any tune on mine until we get more info on exactly what is causing #8 to eat itself.

And regarding the whole debate of whether or not ford knows if you tuned, this guy worked for ford and says they can.

Ford Mustang Forums - View Single Post - Are aftermarket tunes causing the #8 cylinder to take a dump?

Moreover, this guy flashed back to stock, swore he never had a tune and they not only know he did but also are denying warranty work.

Looking for other members with cylinder 8 failures - Ford Mustang Forums

also, I'm not sure which forum or thread I saw it on but another post, a tech at one dealership said they also had a customer with a #8 failure but it was due to the spark plug. no other info from the guy on exactly what with the plug caused it but that person I think had no aftermarket tune.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Woah woah woah.. the SOMETHING they could see was simply the lapse in the KAM memory. If you complete the drive cycle, they can't see ANYTHING. I should have been more specific. The only thing they can see is that the emissions heaters and switches are not set and that the idle tables haven't been filed in. They know the drive cycle isn't completed. You could have done that by unhooking your battery over the weekend. Drive your car for 50 miles or whatever it takes to complete the drive cycle. Fixed. Now let's say the car doesn't run (I DO NOT CONDONE doing this, it is fraud and it's immoral), you'd just flash the car back to stock and then run the radio and all of the lights until the battery dies while waiting for a tow truck. Done deal. Now when they hook the battery back up, the KAM memory is blank because the battery died, and the tune is stock. Again, end of story. No other traces, whatsoever.

Everyone put their law textbooks away. LOL

Seriously, the best thing you can do is call a bunch of dealers and tell the service managers what you're planning on doing. Don't give them any personal info or vin, etc. Just let them know what your plans are.. SCT tune and CAI. You're going to find a dealer that is "hip" so to speak and knows what really does hurt motors and what doesn't. They'll tell you that as long as the CAI/Tune doesn't cause issues and you're not putting a warranty claim in for those issues, they'll ignore it. That's the dealer you want.

:beer: just like computer, just pull the Cmos battery

JL-KA

Established Member
Idk if you didn't read the links posted in 71 but this is the first one. Not sure if it's true or not...

I've posted this before, but here goes: Flashing with a factory cal and with a factory tool will result in a valid checksum verifying that the cal flashed into it matches whatever you are referencing it to. It's a simple way of confirming that the flash is complete and without errors or corruption. Aftermarket cals and flashing tools will not result in a valid checksum for the dataset, and that is easily found with the factory equipment. Rolling it back will not work either, since it is still being done with the SCT software. I personally had to check this more than once at my position when I worked at Ford. It is a dead giveaway that the car is or was tuned.

Is there any way to get your hands on the tool Ford uses? Do non-Ford repair shops have these tools? If they do I'm sure you could find a mechanic who will flash it to stock for fifty bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread