my 01 Explorer.. tougher than I though it would be.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
my son has been driving my 01 Explorer for school.. well, took a corner to fast in the rain and rolled it.. he's ok, just sore and a mild concussion.

"Well I was doing about 63 going around a corner rated at 45, and the road was slick cause of the rain today, I hit the gravel ended up fish tailing I steered into it almost got control back when it ending up rolling"

470856_441962125815823_100000061198126_1666534_1772117841_o.jpg

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Ford also designed the explorer to withstand the impact of a 15,000 pound T-Rex standing on top of them if the situation were to ever occur.

Anyone who has seen Jurassic Park should know this.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ford also designed the explorer to withstand the impact of a 15,000 pound T-Rex standing on top of them if the situation were to ever occur.

Those explorers had full length subframe connectors yo.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i had a 99 explorer(white, 4 door) with the SOHC(300+k miles) and my brother drove it for a few years until he lost control on a narrow road and ran it into a telephone pole. pushed the motor into the firewall and broke both the leaf springs off the rear end, buckled the frame and popped the tailgate off. the officers on scene though he was seriously injured but my brother was just sitting down the road a bit talking on his cell phone.
no injuries or health problems, truck took an incredible impact(est speed was 65-70mph)...best truck my family has ever owned, period. i believe it would have made it to the 500k mile mark on the original motor/transfer case/rear end...

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member

:lol:

Def glad your son made it out okay!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Glad to hear your son is okay. I have a 3rd gen 4-door and it does feel very solid and safe if I should even get into a wreck(hopefully never do!).

What's the replacement vehicle going to be?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad your son is okay. These are tough vehicles for sure. You going to replace it with another Explorer?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Glad to hear your son is okay. I have a 3rd gen 4-door and it does feel very solid and safe if I should even get into a wreck(hopefully never do!).

What's the replacement vehicle going to be?

Glad your son is okay. These are tough vehicles for sure. You going to replace it with another Explorer?

thanks all for the concern about my son, it's greatly appreciated.. this is the 2nd Explorer that I've had (my first one was also an 01, but the 4 door in XLT) Right now he's driving a 76 F350 with rebuilt 390.

What I'll probably end up doing is finding and Explorer or Ranger that needs good running gear and swapping it into that.. Definitey not going away from that body style/design, they are just to rugged and dependable of a vehicle to get away from.

Users who are viewing this thread