My '13 ST vs ANOTHER '12 5.0

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Here are a few pulls from a bud who is a previous ST owner and now has a 5.0. He was kind enough to drive out to meet me for a few runs last night. The outcome was not pretty. I think a combination of the 3.31s and the superior AED tune (to bama chips) tore a hole in my ass. We did a few pulls from 20, 40, and 60. Not much of a story here as this was a planned meet up, but it was nice to find out where I stood against a strong running 5.0.

Here is the thread regarding my previous run in with a 5.0 that had exhaust and a Bama Chips tune. If you have a Bama chips tune on your 5.0, TAKE THAT SHIT OFF!

Modded '13 Focus ST vs modded '12 5.0

Sorry about all the wind noise...shit sucks. Anyway, here are my deaths. Mods are in the video, and on youtube site....any questions, post 'em up.

Watch in HD!

[video=youtube;gE7lgcndvOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE7lgcndvOI[/video]

Kiohtee

Established Member
Holy shit, I had no idea there was that much variance in canned tunes! :dw:

Your ST still seems to be pretty quick though! But I have a serious question... Now that you've done the sleeper/unexpected thing, why don't you just buy something like a 5.0 or something?

Elwood617

Established Member
Op, great video, thanks for sharing :)

Your ST still seems to be pretty quick though! But I have a serious question... Now that you've done the sleeper/unexpected thing, why don't you just buy something like a 5.0 or something?
Some people just love a fast hatchback.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member

Thanks...I like those 5.0s but I'd probably get bored with it quickly... I love the versatility of the ST and it handles so well. I'll probably test drive a 2015 to see if it can make me jump since it will have irs.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
There is a night and day difference between the stock tune and the current JPC tune I'm running now. Good runs OP.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Good runs. Those St's are awesome and make for great daily drivers. Have you mods decreased you MPG's at all?

ArabianOak

Established Member
I can tell everyone that an AED tune is night and day difference on the 5.0 coyote and roadrunner. I got a canned tune with my intake on my Boss and it just seemed off...I contacted Shaun at AED and HOLY HELL what a difference it made in not only power but driveability as well. He also tuned my GHIG 5.0 after the boss. His tunes are nothing short of amazing and I really really wish he would start tuning the new Shelby!

Good video OP. I love your car but your fighting a losing a battle picking on the new 5.0. I would love to see you taking on some WRX's and Evo's from a roll though. Any encounters with them yet?

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member

Very important to note.

AED does not give you a canned tune unlike a lot of other tuners floating around.

He's very adamant and detailed in his datalogging process.

Point blank if you don't datalog he doesn't tune your car, he requires a base log of your car as is, before he'll tune it.

he'll, go back and forth as many time as it takes to get it dialed in to perfection, with his knowledge of Cam/Valvetrain design he's able to make remarkable changes with these cars due to VCT optimization(again, unlike a lot of tuners)

OP: Even though this 5.0 is walking away pretty good, your car runs pretty damn hard man! I bet it shocks some people, I had an SVTF and SVTC they were fun little nimble cars, Test Drove an ST for my wife and ultimately decided to go with a SHO. These Ecoboost platforms are damn sure no slouches! Props for being a good sport. Even more props for explaining to a lot of doubters that, a different in tune on a coyote can absolutely make or break their performance capabilities. 3.31's are absolutely contributing to his ability to pull from a roll, their absolutely NASTY! especially once you go CJ and E85:)

Loved the video!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
There is a night and day difference between the stock tune and the current JPC tune I'm running now. Good runs OP.

Thank you sir.

Good runs. Those St's are awesome and make for great daily drivers. Have you mods decreased you MPG's at all?

Nope, no decrease in MPGs...car doesn't really get driven that much to tell though. I've had it 11 months and just cracked 5k miles.

I never understand why people put mail order tunes on their car. Spend the money and get a real tune.

Understand these days "e-tunes" can be just as good as a dyno tune. On cars that come set up with a wideband for FI applications, it could be better to tune it on the street (turbos will spool faster on the street due to load differences between street and dyno). Now, on some very exotic setups or different fueling needs...a dyno is definitely the way to go. But if you can log data and get it to a tuner, an e-tune is pretty damn good.

The OTS "off the shelf" tunes (like Bama) are the ones you have to watch out for.

I can tell everyone that an AED tune is night and day difference on the 5.0 coyote and roadrunner. I got a canned tune with my intake on my Boss and it just seemed off...I contacted Shaun at AED and HOLY HELL what a difference it made in not only power but driveability as well. He also tuned my GHIG 5.0 after the boss. His tunes are nothing short of amazing and I really really wish he would start tuning the new Shelby!

Good video OP. I love your car but your fighting a losing a battle picking on the new 5.0. I would love to see you taking on some WRX's and Evo's from a roll though. Any encounters with them yet?

Man! These Evo and STI drivers are some of the most non-racing mofos I have ever seen. There was a 350whp Evo and a 360whp STI at this meet I was at before I met up with the 5.0. They tell me "No thanks we are going to Taco Mac". As soon as I race one it will definitely be posted up.

Very important to note.

AED does not give you a canned tune unlike a lot of other tuners floating around.

He's very adamant and detailed in his datalogging process.

Point blank if you don't datalog he doesn't tune your car, he requires a base log of your car as is, before he'll tune it.

he'll, go back and forth as many time as it takes to get it dialed in to perfection, with his knowledge of Cam/Valvetrain design he's able to make remarkable changes with these cars due to VCT optimization(again, unlike a lot of tuners)

OP: Even though this 5.0 is walking away pretty good, your car runs pretty damn hard man! I bet it shocks some people, I had an SVTF and SVTC they were fun little nimble cars, Test Drove an ST for my wife and ultimately decided to go with a SHO. These Ecoboost platforms are damn sure no slouches! Props for being a good sport. Even more props for explaining to a lot of doubters that, a different in tune on a coyote can absolutely make or break their performance capabilities. 3.31's are absolutely contributing to his ability to pull from a roll, their absolutely NASTY! especially once you go CJ and E85:)

Loved the video!

Thanks man, I do really enjoy the car and it is great on the street. It hasn't shocked many (minimal opportunities) but I plan to change that throughout the summer!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I never understand why people put mail order tunes on their car. Spend the money and get a real tune.

Most people don't have performance shops readily available. Then factor in the good shops versus the bad shops, and there you have it. I'd rather a canned tune from a reputable shop than a custom tune from a sketchy local performance shop.

... 3.31's are absolutely contributing to his ability to pull from a roll, their absolutely NASTY!...

You mean the same 3.31 that made the '07-'09 GT500 feel like a tired dog? That 3.31 is probably the least likely contributor to him being able to pull away.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
You mean the same 3.31 that made the '07-'09 GT500 feel like a tired dog? That 3.31 is probably the least likely contributor to him being able to pull away.

Wrong.

1st of all MT-82 and Tremec are totally different.

07-09' GT500s felt like tired dogs because they weighed 3950 pounds and in stock form made ~430 whp and 390 Trq ice cold with the numbers dropping significantly due to Heat soak and IAT's.

3.31's are bad ass gears especially for roll racing. If these were digs or 1/4 mile runs I would say that a 3:73 or 3.90 would be optimal. However, in a roll racing situation that just 100% isn't the case. You can clearly see and hear in the video that the 5.0 is holding gears far longer than the ST.
That's where the 5.0 is able to walk.

3.31's are absolutely a big contributor, if you can't understand the reasoning behind it. You should do a little more research on power to weight, tranny to rear end gear ratios , as well as both the GT500 and 11+ platforms.

Last edited:

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Most people don't have performance shops readily available. Then factor in the good shops versus the bad shops, and there you have it. I'd rather a canned tune from a reputable shop than a custom tune from a sketchy local performance shop.

3.31s definitely help the 5.0 pull away from me hard in 3rd and 4th gear.

Way to educate him fellas.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... You can clearly see and hear in the video that the 5.0 is holding gears far longer than the ST.
That's where the 5.0 is able to walk.

So that 7K RPM redline of the 5.0 had nothing to do with it being able to hold gears longer.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
So that 7K RPM redline of the 5.0 had nothing to do with it being able to hold gears longer.

If the 5.0 had 3.73s he would use his power band much faster and have to shift sooner. The 3.31s allow him to hold that power much longer as the car is not revving as fast.

Great Vid OP....anyone making big reliable power on the ST platform yet?

One guy in NY making 500+ supposedly but he doesn't put up a lot of stuff online, so who really knows. It is all hearsay.

Users who are viewing this thread