My 1st HPDE report

inVision

Established Member
Hey guys, I just spent the weekend at Calif. Speedway in Fontana. Wow!! What a great time! The 1st day was just overwhelming for me. I will admit, I was the slowest or second slowest guy on the track. Even a Toyota Matrix passed me (good God!), and several Coopers (I thought of Kevin :burnout: ). I really tried to just concentrate on proper technique though, which I think was actually harder for me than others because of the type of car I was driving. It would have been easier to learn in a weaker, smaller car. The instructors really make a difference too, on my last 2 sessions I requested an SVTOA instructor who really wanted to TEACH me not just test drive the car for himself the whole time.

The next day was when the fun really started, I became more relaxed, noticed my surroundings, knew the line better, and by the last 2 sessions I was out on my own. At first I still just took my time and let everyone pass me (not everyone did though), but by the last session I really felt the flow of it and got passed by no one, rather did some passing of my own. It wasn't a race of course, but still to me it showed that it takes a bit longer to learn this car but once you get it, man what a blast. Had a lot of fun going back and forth with an Integra which we both laughed about afterwards. This car is definitely in it's element on a high speed road course, and driving on the street afterwards is just blahhh...

I can't believe I waited 5 years to truly enjoy what this car is all about, I had one of the best times of my life. Not because I just went out on the track and tossed the car around, but I learned how to drive my car properly and start to realize it's potential. On the other hand, if I would have done this 5 years ago, it probably would have changed my life. I'd be broke, insane, and living in a trailer with my car all the time :p

Oh yeah, there was a Lightning that crashed into a wall and the driver almost got decapitated, which made me really thankful I checked my ego at the door and didn't get ahead of myself. Thankfully, I heard the driver was okay.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
congrats! glad you had a good time and learned....as you've probably read here 100 times or more, having an open mind makes all of the difference....those that think they are fast or think they know how to drive are their own worst enemies....they quickly end up off-track, or worse by taking someone off with them....

oh yeah, I guess you're officially.........
dh_barra2_10_03.jpg

kevin

inVision said:
if I would have done this 5 years ago, it probably would have changed my life. I'd be broke, insane, and living in a trailer with my car all the time :p

so, you just delayed the enevitable by 5 years :D

i think you got the idea well. learn the car, learn the track, learn yourself and the speed will come as the technique improves. and don't forget - there's a bunch more to learn and keep remembering the stuff you've alreayd learned.

sounds like you had fun and glad you did.

now, how just how many credit cards can you max out? :lol: :lol:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats! You'll be much better the next time out.

Enjoy and take your time. The speed will come with better track and car technique. Everyone is slow at first (except, maybe, Schumacher).

It took me five years before the fast guys stopped lapping me (Ok, I'm a slow learner). I still learn something every time out after 14 years.

:thumbsup:

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
hooked

kevin said:
hooked :rockon:

now the process of reeling you in begins :-D
truck, trailer, rear diff cooler, tires, cage, fire systems, yadda , yadda yadda, welcome to the club. scott

SVT_KY

Established Member
HEH HEH HEH ... next thing you know, you'll be driving all
over the country to get that FIX ...

And your "Perma Smile" on Mondays at teh office can't be matched...

Cobra-R

Established Member
Congrats Mike!!!

Glad you went into it with the right mind set and had a good time. I bet we will see you at the 06 Cobra R meet now that the hook has been set as Ken pictured above. ;)

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
kevin said:
hooked :rockon:

now the process of reeling you in begins :-D

;-) :lol: :p

Mike, now you understand what we're talking about around here!

Your story sounds SOOOOO much like mine. Take your time, get comfortable with the car and slowly bring it up to speed!!

Before you know it, you'll be spanking Z06's like redheaded stepchildren?!?! :poke: :poke: :poke:

inVision

Established Member
The truth is, I was VERY SAD to drive away from the track. I really do regret waiting 5 years to do this, because I'm not sure if I can hold on to the R any more. I have the opportunity to fulfill another dream, which I've held off for over 10 years now, and that is to become a veterinarian. That means 6 years of rigorous study and a huge pay cut, so even if I kept the R it's unlikely that I could afford many track events. But selling the R could really help fund my education as well, and when I get out, I can enjoy the track every weekend in another R if I want. But I am still working it out to see how things progress right now. I may put out a feeler in the for sale section later on. Even though I haven't really tracked the R, I've done almost everything you would want to do to make it a track car.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
you wont regret doing what you have to do to keep the r. i thank my lucky stars none of my friends i offered my shelby to took me up on the deal at those times when i needed the money bad. they were true friends for sure.

but then you also understand now how you dont need full tilt boogie supercar to have fun on the track...

SVT_KY

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
but then you also understand now how you dont need
full tilt boogie supercar to have fun on the track...

AMEN to THAT ... I can't afford what you guys run, so I run what I brung ...

InVision, any idea who the Lightning guy was? I know most of the
1 percenters, so I hope it's not one the "regulars".

"It has been estimated that less than 1 percent of the Lightning owners
have a preference for turning LEFT and RIGHT, and busy themselves getting
12 second rushes on dragstrips!"

"Look, Daddy, that man has slicks on all FOUR wheels!"

inVision

Established Member
SVT_KY said:
InVision, any idea who the Lightning guy was? I know most of the
1 percenters, so I hope it's not one the "regulars".

It was a silver one, with some "power tailgate" banner on the back. I think he invented a tailgate that can adjust like a rear spoiler or something.

SVT_KY

Established Member
inVision said:
It was a silver one, with some "power tailgate" banner on the back. I think he invented a tailgate that can adjust like a rear spoiler or something.

"DROPTAIL" ???

Andy M

Established Member
Mike,

Glad you had a great time! Those of us who are already hooked of course know what how you felt as we were once track virgins as well. That was thousands of dollars and also thousands of track miles ago though. My car now has approximately 8000+ track miles on it. And I have immensely enjoyed every minute!!

Congrats on finally using your R for what it was intended!! :D

93SVTCobra

Established Member
well lookey what I found.......

So I'm trolling the internet and look what I hooked......

04.jpg

06.jpg

09.jpg

20.jpg

Looks like someone was having fun out there!!!! :rockon:

Looks like your ready to join us at Autobahn! :burnout:

inVision

Established Member
Where did you find those? :thumbsup:

Yeah it was a ton of fun, why don't you guys come out here in 05?? :rolleyes:

droptail

Fontana crash

SVT_KY said:
"DROPTAIL" ???
Boy, bad news travels fast, or should I say good, I walked away with a few (several) bruises. How did you hear about it? Anyway, it was a miracle, and I publically thank God. I fishtailed 3 times going about 90+ through the chicane accross some grass then squared into a concrete barrior. I kept pulling it back but just wouldn't hook up. Actually I was lighting up and drifting these used 335 Hoosiers all day, and should have driven within their limits. I was told I demolished the barrior as well. Track MD insisted on x-raying for internal damage after ambulance driver showed him a pic he took of the wreck on his cell phone, but nothing showed up. I did an Irish gig leaving the ER. The 6-point harness (and racing seat) I installed the day before is a must for racing guys! I want to get back into it, I love racing that bad boy.

A pic not for the faint of heart:
http://www.f150online.com/galleries...ew.cfm?num=3086
2001 #4906 died on 3/12/05 at California Speedway doing its thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread