My 2013 Shelby GT500 vs C7 Z06

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
definitely get seat time to learn and get used to your car cause it can be scary. 3rd is the wrong gear and gave him the race at that mph. as others said at 50 i would be in 2nd gear and for a really sick lunge between 50 and 60 mph. if going less the 50 i would start out in 1st but then it gets silly. i pulled on a red eye charger from 50 to top of 3rd by about a car and a half to 2 cars. still havent had the oppertunity to try a c7 z06. there was a c8 i messed with some and imo it was embarassing for him from a roll

John24

Established Member
I can tell you with certainty that with your mods and a proper start in the right gear (2nd gear from a 50 roll), you shouldn’t have a problem pulling a stock c7z. You’re probably around 700whp, and a stock c7z will dyno between 570-580whp more often than not. You will outweigh him by about 300-350lbs (curb weight), but the extra 100+whp will be hard for him to make up for bone stock. If he is modded, it would be a different story.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
definitely get seat time to learn and get used to your car cause it can be scary. 3rd is the wrong gear and gave him the race at that mph. as others said at 50 i would be in 2nd gear and for a really sick lunge between 50 and 60 mph. if going less the 50 i would start out in 1st but then it gets silly. i pulled on a red eye charger from 50 to top of 3rd by about a car and a half to 2 cars. still havent had the oppertunity to try a c7 z06. there was a c8 i messed with some and imo it was embarassing for him from a roll
Yes, just took it out tonight and getting more and more comfortable with it, shift points etc.

I have an appointment set up towards the end of July with a local tuner as well.

Car is fun and fast as hell.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
Yes, just took it out tonight and getting more and more comfortable with it, shift points etc.

I have an appointment set up towards the end of July with a local tuner as well.

Car is fun and fast as hell.
they sure are man! i love everything about it! mine does get a little sideways some times when tires break loose though so i get a little nervous lol

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
they sure are man! i love everything about it! mine does get a little sideways some times when tires break loose though so i get a little nervous lol
Yes, same! Especially in 2nd gear when I stomp on it!

That's crazy how you pulled on a Hellcat Red Eye!

My buddy's son is playfully telling me how his 392 Challenger will take me and I just laugh at him and tell him I'll walk him with ease.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Hey everyone, I got my 2013 Shelby GT500 about a month ago and I was out driving tonight and came up against a C7 Z06. I just got my car and I know I'm playing with fire a bit because I haven't had it to a tuner yet, but I couldn't resist. I'm going to set up some time with Lidio at Alternative Auto Performance in the near future.

Anyway, my car has a few minor mods:

Whipple CAI
Whipple Twin 68MM TB
Metco 2.40" pulley
Metco Auxiliary Idler Kit
ARS Belt Tensioner
MGW Shifter
NGK Plugs

So we line up and run and he pulls away from me pretty easily.

I slow down and he says lets hit it from 50 on 3. I'm in 3rd gear and we both hit it and I stay with him for a couple seconds and then he walks away from me like I'm in a station wagon.

So, we slow down further down the road and I ask if he's stock and he says "yes", which I thought may not be true because of how he just walked me. He asks if I am and I said no, I have a different pulley and couple other light mods. He then asks "upper or lower" and then asks where I got the work done so I give him the details and I ask how many HP he's running and he "doesn't know" because it's stock and he just got it.

So I'm thinking to myself, this guy knows enough to ask what pulley I replaced and where I got it tuned, but he's totally clueless to what HP his stock Z06 is running?

Are those cars that fast stock?
Your car is very modestly modded. Swap out the exhaust for some Kooks and toss on a VMP Gen3R.

Otherwise, You'll continue to be a frequent customer at Gapplebees.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
Your car is very modestly modded. Swap out the exhaust for some Kooks and toss on a VMP Gen3R.

While I agree a Gen3R would make all the difference in the world, he should still be able to put the hurt on a stock C7Z with his current mods.

Your 14’s lighter than my 09. I’ve got similar mods + the same blower and I got out on a C7Z 4 races in a row.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Speak for yourself, cockroach. You might need to throw the kitchen sink at it, to get your turd to perform. It doesnt mean the OP needs to.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
Nice pull! Always nice to see a ford out front of a chevy

Thanks man. All my buddies drive Vettes so I try to see how my car stacks up whenever I get the chance. I’d like to throw a Gen3R on at some point and make use of the piston/rod upgrade I did. If I can make around 800-900whp, I should be able to keep up with most of what I run into.

Nice pull! Always nice to see a ford out front of a che

Tezz500

Established Member
While I agree a Gen3R would make all the difference in the world, he should still be able to put the hurt on a stock C7Z with his current mods.

Your 14’s lighter than my 09. I’ve got similar mods + the same blower and I got out on a C7Z 4 races in a row.

That is really subjective and it depends on the driver. C706 easily runs 10.9 to 11.1 in stock form.

He doesn’t even really have to swap the blower out if he wanted he could just have the stock one ported…. the 2.3 TVS is far more capable than what the stock block will handle.

I’m not taking anything away from your gapping the Z but I would bet to say the guy wasn’t willing to hammer his car….

Last edited:

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
That is really subjective and it depends on the driver. C706 easily runs 10.9 to 11.1 in stock form.

He doesn’t even really have to swap the blower out if he wanted he could just have the stock one ported…. the 2.3 TVS is far more capable than what the stock will handle.

I’m not taking anything away from your gapping the Z but I would bet to say the guy wasn’t willing to hammer his car….

Fair points but I know the driver well, he was on it as best as he could be. I’d like to see how I’d do driving the Z compared to my Shelby but I don’t really trust anyone else driving my car. I also don’t have a clue what my car would run in the 1/4. If the dyno tells me anything, I’m guessing it traps maybe high 120’s?

The Z06 owner’s considering a pulley and a tune so we’ll rerun if he follows through with that.

Tezz500

Established Member
Fair points but I know the driver well, he was on it as best as he could be. I’d like to see how I’d do driving the Z compared to my Shelby but I don’t really trust anyone else driving my car. I also don’t have a clue what my car would run in the 1/4. If the dyno tells me anything, I’m guessing it traps maybe high 120’s?

The Z06 owner’s considering a pulley and a tune so we’ll rerun if he follows through with that.

There are other factors to consider like converter protection kicking in. That’s why I suggested he needs to swap out his exhaust, not only will it gain more horsepower. Youll also be able to get rid of that cat protection feature that dumps fuel into the system to cool them off. You will see a noticeable difference when that kicks in once the cats get hot.

And yes, the stock z should trap in the high 120s… so if you’re pulling on him and again, I don’t know what that race looked like but you should be in the high 20s as well with your mods.

With your mods, a decent set of drag radials, and a good 60 foot time, you should be able to get into the 10s with little issue as long as it hooks… provided you at sea level.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
There are other factors to consider like converter protection kicking in. That’s why I suggested he needs to swap out his exhaust, not only will it gain more horsepower. Youll also be able to get rid of that cat protection feature that dumps fuel into the system to cool them off. You will see a noticeable difference when that kicks in once the cats get hot.

And yes, the stock z should trap in the high 120s… so if you’re pulling on him and again, I don’t know what that race looked like but you should be in the high 20s as well with your mods.

With your mods, a decent set of drag radials, and a good 60 foot time, you should be able to get into the 10s with little issue as long as it hooks… provided you at sea level.

Noted. I glazed over the fact that he’s got stock manifolds I’ve got kooks long tubes and a catless x-pipe. I suppose that makes a difference although I’m not sure how much.

I don’t know what TVS swapped S197’s do in the 1/4 and the 07-09’s seem to be the “forgotten” GT500’s so there’s not much for me to go off of to estimate my times. I’m almost FBO (Kooks LTH, catless x-pipe, JLT 123, stock TB) with a TVS 2.3 (2.4” pulley). I guess I thought the car would be a 128mph car at best.

I’d pull on the Z06 by about 1.5-2 cars every time, if not slightly more.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
On the subject of GT500’s vs Corvettes, here’s the only L I’ve taken so far. 800whp built auto C7. He’s the one that made me feel like I need more power. lol. He’d get me by roughly 2 cars or slightly more everytime. I don’t think I’d be able to make up the difference with the TVS. I’d like to see how I do against an H/C/I C6Z.

Edit: 800whp C7 freight trained the C7Z06 when they raced.

Tezz500

Established Member
Noted. I glazed over the fact that he’s got stock manifolds I’ve got kooks long tubes and a catless x-pipe. I suppose that makes a difference although I’m not sure how much.

I don’t know what TVS swapped S197’s do in the 1/4 and the 07-09’s seem to be the “forgotten” GT500’s so there’s not much for me to go off of to estimate my times. I’m almost FBO (Kooks LTH, catless x-pipe, JLT 123, stock TB) with a TVS 2.3 (2.4” pulley). I guess I thought the car would be a 128mph car at best.

I’d pull on the Z06 by about 1.5-2 cars every time, if not slightly more.

It makes a huge difference once you uncork that engine. The exhaust on these cars is very restrictive, especially when you start adding more boost.

For comparison you should be around 750-820 Wheel depending on how aggressive your tune is set up.

OP is probably around 700-720 wheel.

Last edited:

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
It makes a huge difference once you uncork that engine. The exhaust on these cars is very restrictive, especially when you start adding more boost.

For comparison you should be around 750-820 Wheel depending on how aggressive your tune is set up.

OP is probably around 700-720 wheel.

As much as I’d like to agree with you just to say I make that much power, that seems like an overestimate. For reference, I only put down 570whp/590wtq on a mustang dyno. I feel like if I actually made 750whp+ I’d be pulling wayyy harder and stay closer to the C7 I posted above.

I’m not even sure I could hit those numbers with an upgraded throttle body, cams and ported blower.

I wouldn’t mind throwing it on a dyno jet for comparison’s sake once I get this misfire sorted out.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
As much as I’d like to agree with you just to say I make that much power, that seems like an overestimate. For reference, I only put down 570whp/590wtq on a mustang dyno. I feel like if I actually made 750whp+ I’d be pulling wayyy harder and stay closer to the C7 I posted above.

I’m not even sure I could hit those numbers with an upgraded throttle body, cams and ported blower.

I wouldn’t mind throwing it on a dyno jet for comparison’s sake once I get this misfire sorted out.
The whole thing about people saying if only they had a pipe they would have beat you is the to bad game. Run what you bring. Win some , loose some. Always someone faster. Good wins man.

Users who are viewing this thread