My 5.0L Boss block with 2.9 Whipple build

eaglesnick

Established Member
Why did you keep the compression at 8.5:1?

My engine builder doesn't like or feel it's necessary to raise compression in a forced induction motor on pump gas. The limiting factor is the octane of the fuel so if you raise compression you are going to have to lower the boost to prevent detonation. With the 2.9 I will have plenty if blower to get over 20# if I want/need so increasing compression isn't necessary in his opinion. If I was going to be running a smaller blower like a 2.3 then he may have bumped up the compression a bit so I wouldn't have had to overspin the blower.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Not much of an update, but got a call from the shop today the block should be getting machined next week and the motor should be getting assembled in the next few weeks. The builder decided to replace ALL the rods just be extra cautious which I have no issue with. When you get this far into a build and with all the detonation damage to the other components I would rather spend a few extra bucks and know the rods are solid. Once the block gets back t the shop things should move pretty quickly, so I will try and get some pics and post them up if/as I get them.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Well not much to report from a mechanical stand point. Superstorm Sandy did a nice job of slowing things down here in the northeast last week. Motor is ready to be or already being assembled so hopefully I will get a call in the next week or 2. So since there is nothing to report on that front I figured I would post up some pics of my latest purchase, let me know what you think.

562836_10150745132308211_724578609_n.jpg

Rear

398233_10150745132583211_801476952_n.jpg

Front

eaglesnick

Established Member
Latest update:
The good news is the short block is assembled and ready for the heads.
The bad news is once the heads were taken apart and inspected there is detonation damage and need to be replaced. :bash:

Riored95

Established Member
TF ftw!! Awesome wheels. Sucks to here about the heads. What are you gonna do for heads now?

eaglesnick

Established Member
TF ftw!! Awesome wheels. Sucks to here about the heads. What are you gonna do for heads now?

Unfortunately buy a new set, I found a new set on Craig's List for a good price, but they are the 4 thread heads or I can spend more on new set of 9 thread heads. Need to talk to the engine builder and see if he prefers the 9 thread over the 4 thread.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Sucks to hear bro. Go with the 9 thread.

Already bought them and dropped them off at the shop today. Got the latest revision with the 9 thread. :beer::beer:

Motor is assembled but was at the other shop so I couldn't get any pictures. However, he snapped some photos of the engine with his cell phone that he is going to e-mail me, I will post them up when I get them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread