My 5.0L Boss block with 2.9 Whipple build

eaglesnick

Established Member
Thats a 3.4L gen2 Whipple.

Nice, should be a beast when it's done.

I dropped the car off today and they are already working on the new fuel system. Unfortunately the motor was under wraps when I got there since the valve covers aren't installed yet, so no eye candy to post up yet. The cams are degreed and all that is left is to check piston to valve clearance and torque everything down.

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Yes but the same exact thing happened to me ...same carnage ...lol.....post pictures....

Sabotage... You mean these..

IMG_0142_zps51d6c1ff.gif

IMG_0138_zpsc13e902e.gif

IMG_0141_zpsce06102f.gif

IMG_0127_zps5d8c294a.gif

That's carnage! Lol!

eaglesnick

Established Member
That's a ton of damaged!!!!

As for pics, I will be going back to the shop next Friday and should have some pics then. Unfortunately the long block was covered in plastic to keep everything clean since the valve covers aren't on yet.

Last edited:

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
The piston wrist pin hole was elongated from the force of 774hp and got sloppy. I am pretty sure the piston got jammed in the cyl and the rod just kept going and twisted right off. Oh, well! It's been a fun adventure rebuilding!

Don't want to hijack.... I plan on doing a short build thread on my build. I say short because I feel that some of the boss build threads are awesome and I wouldn't even compare.

Looking forward to some good pics too OP!

eaglesnick

Established Member
Little update for you guys. During the assembly and clearance checking process the shop found the PTV clearance to be a little too close for comfort so they had to correct the clearance issues. The issues have been resolved and the heads are back on the block and we now have the proper clearances. Snapped a couple of pics while I was there. Motor should be going back in next week (fingers crossed).

photo1_zps7fe068b3.jpg

photo2_zps652b042b.jpg

photo3_zpsbfa30f71.jpg

eaglesnick

Established Member
Hopefully my motor will be in early next week and all the other goodies can be installed by the end of the week and on the dyno within 2 weeks :banana::banana:

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Good to see your almost done. I have mine running. Make sure you break in that clutch before the Dyno. Just a road block I ran into, thought I would pass it along. It is a nice feeling to have it running again!

Btw Sabotage and I have a little comparison going as we finish our builds... He has a teksid and I have the boss with almost identical setups... We're gonna do a comparison and report later.

Good luck! Your almost there!

eaglesnick

Established Member
Good to see your almost done. I have mine running. Make sure you break in that clutch before the Dyno. Just a road block I ran into, thought I would pass it along. It is a nice feeling to have it running again!

Btw Sabotage and I have a little comparison going as we finish our builds... He has a teksid and I have the boss with almost identical setups... We're gonna do a comparison and report later.

Good luck! Your almost there!

What kind if road block?

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
Maybe roadblock isn't the right word.. Delay, maybe... You have to break in your engine but you also have to baby your clutch for a while (500-1000miles) so on one hand you have to go WOT to seat the rings and on the other you have to be careful not to slip your clutch... So I took it easy with small pulls at a roll until about 200miles and then started getting progressively harder on the engine. I have 350mi. now and she wants to go!!! But I'll wait until around 1000mi to do the tune and unleash the beast!!

Users who are viewing this thread