My '70 Mach 1

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I know I've posted pics of my 1970 Mach 1 in the Pics-n-Vids section when I first took delivery, but figured I may as well also put them in the Vintage thread (where it belongs). LOL

I bought it after selling my 00R last year, and am doing a resto-mod Trans Am race theme with the car. The Mach was rotisserie restored back in 2001, and has only had about 10,000 miles on it since completion. The car wasn't restored to factory specs either. It's a real Mach 1, but it started life as a 2 barrel 351w, with an auto trans, and it was painted Lime Green Metallic. The car was reassembled as a mid optioned 351C 4 barrel, with a Shelby aluminum intake, Holley 750, Shaker, and a larger than stock cam. The trans is a Hurst shifted Top Loader 4 speed, backed up by a 3.25 geared 9" rear end. It's also got Shelby under-rider bars. For wheels I chose Vintage Wheel Works V48 wheels, in 17x8 front and 17X9 rear. The tires are 255/40 front, and 285/40 rear, Nitto 555.

oggtia.jpg

x0zhmv.jpg

2ahzn7m.jpg

I recently removed the rear window louvers, and made some rear window straps out of aluminum... just like the late 60's Trans Am race cars used.

v7yrr8.jpg

I will be swapping out the Top Loader 4 speed for a 5 speed, installing 4 wheel Disc brakes, as well as doing a Trans Am race inspired suspension.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Very nice!!! I've been looking into a few classic stangs and my personal favorite is the 1969 Fastback. 5 years ago I missed the opportunity to buy a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 with the 390FE 4-speed combo. It also had the shaker hood and was in very good condition. Sold for $6,000 because the guy just wanted to move it....:bash: The guy who bought it put on new paint, got it running, redid the interior and sold it for $27,000 if I remember correctly.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Now that my '03 Cobra is gone... the progress on my Mach is going to go BALLISTIC!!

This week the following parts will be ordered..

408 stroker from Keith Craft Racing (550hp, 550tq)
TKO-600, with all related 4 speed to TKO swap parts
4 wheel Disc brakes from Street or Track
Scat Pro Car seats
Maier Racing suspension

:burnout:

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
The basic info on my Keith Craft Racing motor being built right now.

408 Street/Performance Crate
Horsepower: 550 hp
Torque: 550 ft/lbs
Compression: 10:1

Block: Fully Machined and Prepped Production 351W Block
Crankshaft: Eagle 4340 Steel
Stroke: 4.000" or 4.100"
Connecting Rods: Eagle H-Beam 6.200"
Pistons: Mahle Forged
Timing Chain: Ford Motorsport Double Roller
Cam: Comp Cams Custom Hydraulic Roller (242/245, 110 lobe sep, .580 lift)
Lifters: Ford Motorsport Hydraulic Roller
Cylinder Heads: AFR 205
Valves: SI 2.08/1.6
Rocker Arms: Scorpion 1.6 Roller
Intake: Edelbrock Air-Gap, Port Matched
Waterpump: Edelbrock Aluminum
Carburetor: Quick Fuel 780cfm
Valve Covers: FRPP Boss flat top
Oil Pump: Melling High Volume
Oil Pan: Moroso Front Sump, powder coated black
Balancer: Pioneer SFI
Ignition: MSD Distributor w/Keith Craft Logo Moroso Plug Wires
Gaskets: Felpro
Fasteners: ARP
Holley Fuel Pump
Russell Fuel Log (Black)
Fuel Lines and Fittings (Black)

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
My AWESOME brake kits arrived from Street or Track today. OMG, this stuff is NICE.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street...d-Aluminum-Caliper-Brake-System-pr-24556.html

Here is a quick cell phone pic of just a front two piece 13" rotor and hat, large 4 piston caliper, and the hub with 3" ARP studs. I also got a complete rear Disc kit, late model Master Cyl, and a bunch of other brake "goodness".

HUGE thank you to Shaun, at Street or Track. He was VERY helpful in guiding me to the right combination of brake parts. I will post up some high res pics once everything is unboxed.

35mlh0m.jpg

Last edited:

crankin

Established Member
looks awesome. im working on closing the deal on a 70 fastback and was thinking i wanted a more modern interior but after seeing yours, i might have to rethink that

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I've got the rear Disc setup nearly done. Just need to connect the E-brake, and plumb the brake lines.

"Street or Track" builds AWESOME gear. This stuff is all going together like factory parts. Their custom brackets are top notch, and everything fits great.

Another quick Iphone pic....
23robh2.jpg

It's going to look good with the rear wheels on too!
2la4uf4.jpg

Last edited:

S197kid

Established Member
Powershift03 I love what your doing with that car! There are a lot of cars on this site that are not exactly my taste but yours is the exact opposite I'd love to own one like it! Hopefully when I finally get done with school... I'll have time to apply a similar trans am theme to a 68 z28 camaro.

Users who are viewing this thread