My 96 setup - Turbo in the works

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I didn't get much response on my local forums so thought I'd repost here and see if anyone has thoughts.

(Sorry for the oversized pics, I don't have the tools to resize them with me right now.)

I'm getting closer and closer to being prepared for turbo power. However, I'm a little worried about ending up with a mismatched combo. I've been trying to learn as much as I can but I feel a bit lost.

So below is an overview of my setup. Please give me feedback on anything I need to consider that I haven't yet.

I had pictures from the previous owner but I had never opened up the intake (HCI shortrunner with imrc deletes built in) myself. I was amazed how clean it was for a b-headed intake. I have a home made catch can on it and it seems to be doing a great job. It's been jet hot coated so maybe that helps too.

P4160012.jpg

P4160013.jpg

P4160014.jpg

P4160015.jpg

P4160016.jpg

P4160017.jpg

P4160018.jpg

P4160019.jpg

Here's a photo from stiegemeier's site that shows stock vs accufab vs dragon.
Dragon%20pl%20tb%20008.jpg

The inlet measures right at 2.5" x 5.25". I'm going to have Brian (aka Posi) port the opening oval to match a dragon TB.

This car currently has the 96 cams in it. Should I stick with them or are there any recommendations on something more aggressive?

Here are the specs on the b-heads that were given to me by the previous owner:
port matched to the lower intake and exhaust and cleaned up a bit.
chromoly retainers
1mm bigger manley valves with valve job
new valve guides
comp cam beehive springs

The teksid block is ported 20 over. It has manley h-beams and mahle pistons and is around 9:1 CR.

In all honesty, I probably won't be taking it to the track that often because the track is too far away. So I want to start with a reasonable power level for the street with the option of going crazy with it later if I want to.

Currently I have 60# injectors in the box waiting to go in. I believe it's the factory fuel pump. I was hoping to get away with a 255 in the tank and a 255 inline with the stock lines/rails for a while but I'm not sure where that puts me as far as limiting boost. It seems like about 8-10 pounds but I guess until I data log and tune that is pure speculation. Would new rails without replacing the lines get me any further? In one of the photos you can see it looks like they made custom brackets for the stock rails. I'm not even sure how I'll bolt aftermarket rails up. I might have to get brackets fabbed up for them.

Are there any other weak links I need to address that I've skipped over?

* I've got a BA-3000 MAF.
* Rear end is built with 31 spline axles and an auburn diff. Swapping the 4.30s for 3.55s when I do the turbo)
* The t45 is obviously a weak link. I'm hoping if I'm easy on it and not power shifting or launching with slicks it will hold up for a little while longer which I decide what to do for a transmission. I've bounced between manual and auto in my head quite a bit. I know the auto would be better for drag racing but this car is really setup more for corner carving and for me, the manual does a better job for that purpose.
* I've got a fluidyne radiator to keep things cool.
* I'm going to put a wideband in it with a full time gauge to keep an eye on AF for safety.

Last edited:

96mystic_915

Established Member
stay away from the 3650 trans they are garbage and as long as you dont power shift your stock trans you should be good for a lil while depending on how much torque you make that is what will determine the life of your trans i recomend a tko600 or a t56 i had a t45 wish i would have kept it to have it built but too late now i have heard they are good when built if done right but i swapped a 3650 and its a pile of junk either build yours or swap it and as fas as the rails go i would think stock rails will limit you alot i know people do swap the rails out for some aftermarket ones would not worry about the lines too much i know they support around 600 hp but i dont know about the rails and all you need for a pump is a walboro 255 fuel pump single one is enough to push around 600 how much are you looking too put down?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I'm planning on getting it tuned to the point where it's close to maxing out the fuel. So safe, but as far as I can go. I'm guessing that will be about 500 rwhp or so unless I make more fuel system changes.

96mystic_915

Established Member
so change your rails and your pump and the rest of the system should support that unless you have a kink or something in a line your good to go the injectors are more than enough so your fuel system should be good after those little mods

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Yah I'm going to get the inlet port matched to the dragon and go that route. Any recommendations on rails? I was thinking about the fore ones with the blockoff plate but I think I'll have to make brackets no matter what.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
i used the blue sullivan rails and they are nice pieces, went in without a hitch. My recommendation is to just do the fuel system right the first time and not have to worry about it.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I did a glenn's performance 1000 hp setup on my other car and it worked out nice except for the pushloc lines weep fumes and my garage always stinks.

I wanted to get the turbo up and running before going with a full fuel system to spread out the cost a bit.

JP96cobra

Established Member
I have yet to see real data that requires us to change our fuel rails. It seems aftermarket rails are more for eye candy than for performance or fuel needs to support performance. Exept if your going for big horsepower then I could see it causing a problem.

I'm in the same situation as you right now. Im going turbo on my 96 cobra but Im using 03 heads and mach 1 intake. But im using the 96 cobra fuel rails. Im also planning on using a walbro or bosch intank fuel pump and an inline for now. I dont have a magic number of what this will support but 500 -550hp is probably in the ball park.

From what I have seen, the fuel pump and then the lines is the limiting factor.

Go on kenne bells website, under the 'ford tech info' articles it talks about fuel rails. They dont talk specifically about our rails but I think it somewhat applies.

96mystic_915

Established Member
well i know our fuel rails are larger than fox body ones and yes i agree most aftermarket fuel rails are eye candy but they do have their advantatges to them my brother is doing a 76mm on his 04 and needed sulivan rails but he is also looking for 26lbs of boost on his but i think if your trying to spread your cost out a lil bit then get rails and a pump you dont have to go with the biggest rails for now

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
rails were only ~250 bucks, and works well with the braided lines and fittings in the return style setup. My tuner said the rails begin to bottle neck around 600hp, so figure just do it up front incase i ever wanted to up the boost down the line or squeeze a little.

goat-ee

Established Member
A couple of things. I would NEVER trust a single 255 to 600hp!! I would think maybe 500 max. I hope you are building the motor very strong, because that intake is going to require major rpm to perform. A stock short runner on anything but a really high rpm motor will out perform the Hamilton Clarke.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Thanks for the input. What would you consider major RPM?

I don't know what the weak link is as far as me spinning the motor past 7k right now.

Can't I dial in the powerband based on the cam selection and cam advance/retard?

Last edited:

96mystic_915

Established Member
you can 7k should not be a problem i will make some phone calls and find out what a single 255 can do but 7k should not be a big deal

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
A couple of things. I would NEVER trust a single 255 to 600hp!! I would think maybe 500 max. I hope you are building the motor very strong, because that intake is going to require major rpm to perform. A stock short runner on anything but a really high rpm motor will out perform the Hamilton Clarke.

^^^^Agree.

goat-ee

Established Member
you can 7k should not be a problem i will make some phone calls and find out what a single 255 can do but 7k should not be a big deal

Try again...7k won't do it!!! Do a search, there is a reason that the only aftermarket intake (at the time) for our cars didn't sell and even now, as rare as they are, don't go for much money!! For an idea of what I am trying to say about the RPM you will need to turn, watch this video!!!

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ms6e_saturday-night-live-colon-blow_fun"]Dailymotion - Saturday Night Live _ Colon Blow - a Funny video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video@@AMEPARAM@@video[/ame]

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Again, I ask:
1. How high of RPM does this intake need to perform?
2. Can't I dial in the power band with my cam selection?

Users who are viewing this thread