My 96 setup - Turbo in the works

JP96cobra

Established Member
Again, I ask:
1. How high of RPM does this intake need to perform?
2. Can't I dial in the power band with my cam selection?

You need the runner length to get a better estimate but by looking at it your going to have to spin your motor above 8k to benefit from that intake.

Talk to Nasvt on this site, he is more knowledgable than most about cam selection and intake runner length.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Good info. I just paged na svt.

So my next question, how much power will I be losing below 8k compared to a stock intake?

When I dynoed the car NA a while back it wasn't down that much (~10 hp peak) from other stock cobras and I assumed it was the lack of a proper tune.

What's the best way to measure the runners? Can I go out there with a tape measure from the head to the middle of a tube opening and get close? This intake is a little taller than stock (3/4" or so)

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Okay, that intake will spool the turbo/s very slowly and make poor power below 6500rpm. Furtermore, the stock cam will peak at 6500. So, what you have are cams that work below 6500 and an intake that works above 6500...a very poor match. By far, the stock intake is the best option for a street driven, turbo'd combo. I've removed intakes that have very short runners and replaced them with stock ported intakes and picked up over 100rwhp/100ft lbs at 4k; much better street manners and power on demand.

Can't I dial in the power band with my cam selection?

No...well to some extent but if you try to raise the rpm where peak power occurs you will aboslutely kill turbo spooling and the low and mid range power. The intake and cams have to match, there's no way around it. Oh, and the cams have to be set at the right LCs for turbos. I'll send you a PM.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The t45 is obviously a weak link. I'm hoping if I'm easy on it and not power shifting or launching with slicks it will hold up for a little while longer which I decide what to do for a transmission. I've bounced between manual and auto in my head quite a bit. I know the auto would be better for drag racing but this car is really setup more for corner carving and for me, the manual does a better job for that purpose.

The t-45 is junk, a well built 3650 trans is a much better piece and will hold up much longer. However, an auto is the way to go by far.

Turbos aren't good for "corner carving".

96mystic_915

Established Member
verty true the t45 is a horrible design no lie there no arguement but i have killed a 3650 with a stock car so i dont think they are all that never drove a built on but my car does not like trans it does not matter what i put in it i either shift too quick for the trans to keep up or the trans cant handle the abuse

JP96cobra

Established Member
An automatic would be best but you have other options for a 5 speed manual such as the tko 500 or 600.

Users who are viewing this thread