My bone stock '02 GT auto conv. stop accelerating at 141-142 mph??

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
I have a bone stock '02 GT auto conv. I had a nice open stretch on I-95 today with very few cars so I decided to see how far I could push it. I've hit 140 mph a couple of times before but I wanted to see if I could keep going. When I reached I'd say 141-142 mph she just wouldn't accelerate any more but I still had some more rpm left. I'm wondering is it because of the drag of the rag top, me needing more power or what?? I'm thinking I just need a little more power like with intake/exhaust/tune and I can go a little faster. What yall think??

P.S. At the end of the day going 140+ with a 260 hp auto conv. is not bad to me. I'm proud of my baby!! :coolman:

Last edited:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
. . .and we're all proud of. . .the cop that didn't see you? :shrug:

I'm quite sure your car has a govenor. . .for obvious reasons.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
i think the govenor is at that speed probably. I had my old 03 V6 and i hit about 116ish and i couldnt accelerate anymore.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Wishing4Cobra said:
i think the govenor is at that speed probably. I had my old 03 V6 and i hit about 116ish and i couldnt accelerate anymore.

With a governor don't you feel a jolt or something letting you know to shut it down?? I remember driving a '91 accord over in Germany and while keeping up with the flow of traffic the governor let me know real quickly I wasn't going any faster. With my GT it felt like I just didn't have enough power to go any faster.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
With my GT it felt like I just didn't have enough power to go any faster.

What do you expect? :shrug:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
TORNATIC!! said:
I have a bone stock '02 GT auto conv. I had a nice open stretch on I-95 today with very few cars so I decided to see how far I could push it. I've hit 140 mph a couple of times before but I wanted to see if I could keep going. When I reached I'd say 141-142 mph she just wouldn't accelerate any more but I still had some more rpm left. I'm wondering is it because of the drag of the rag top, me needing more power or what?? I'm thinking I just need a little more power like with intake/exhaust/tune and I can go a little faster. What yall think??

P.S. At the end of the day going 140+ with a 260 hp auto conv. is not bad to me. I'm proud of my baby!! :coolman:

MOVED! WRONG FRICKIN FORUM! :wf:

Silverstangs

Lord Silver ™
Established Member
You hit the RPM limit set on your computer, which should be around 4250~4300 rpms. Which brings you to around 141~143mph in top of the 4th gear (OD). You can get a hypertech programmer and adjust the RPM limiter to 5200rpms which in theory will take you to 173mph. The only issue is the stock verts get to be a little unstable around 150mph with the experience I had...

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
With a governor don't you feel a jolt or something letting you know to shut it down?? I remember driving a '91 accord over in Germany and while keeping up with the flow of traffic the governor let me know real quickly I wasn't going any faster. With my GT it felt like I just didn't have enough power to go any faster.

no there were no jolt or anything like that. Once i hit the govenor the car wouldnt accelerate anymore and the odometer starts to climb down.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Silverstangs said:
You hit the RPM limit set on your computer, which should be around 4250~4300 rpms. Which brings you to around 141~143mph in top of the 4th gear (OD). You can get a hypertech programmer and adjust the RPM limiter to 5200rpms which in theory will take you to 173mph. The only issue is the stock verts get to be a little unstable around 150mph with the experience I had...

Ahh, I see. Thanks. So what speed will my car stop accelarating from not having enough power?? Do I have enough power to accelerate to 150 without any bolt-ons?? Btw the car felt smooth at 141-143 mph.

Silverstangs

Lord Silver ™
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
Ahh, I see. Thanks. So what speed will my car stop accelarating from not having enough power?? Do I have enough power to accelerate to 150 without any bolt-ons?? Btw the car felt smooth at 141-143 mph.

I did topped out at 167mph in top of 5th around 5100~5200rpms. The speed was reported to me by the vett that was next to me. I also have 3:55's. The petal would go further, but I think I didn't have the hp to go faster.

This is the picture I took, but this is after I was slowing down and I was trying to drive and take a pic at the same time. --For all those people that want to try to call BS and going that fast. And this was the Dry Lake Bed in So Cal at Edwards AFB.. basically a safe environment.. ;-) ;-) .
topspeed.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread