My buddys 95R got his doors

bobby1

Established Member
blown off by a stock 2001 Z06 corvette. At a roll 3 times this vette left him like he was standing still! Talked with the guy and says he has raced it twice in phoenix and gone 12.60s at 112mph bone stock. Just having some fun on the street. :burnout:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
bobby1 said:
blown off by a stock 2001 Z06 corvette. At a roll 3 times this vette left him like he was standing still! Talked with the guy and says he has raced it twice in phoenix and gone 12.60s at 112mph bone stock. Just having some fun on the street. :burnout:

We certainly are not here to condone or advocate street racing especially on this site. :nonono: We much prefer to slug it out on a track that has corners.

But, if you think your Buddy's "R" had a chance with an '01 Z, (especially in a straight line :rollseyes ) you were sadly mistaken? As you both discovered!

Now if your Buddy can drive, then he might have a chance against that Z on a road course? But that is only going to be if he can, in fact, drive!?!

Scrutinize your opponents a little closer next time! It might save you some embarrassment?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

bobby1

Established Member
We are all mature adults and for the first time in many years just having some fun on the street. Yes the track is the place to be BUT every now and than LET IT RIP!! :pepper:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
bobby1 said:

The best 95R times I have seen in stock (as it came from Ford) configuration is 13.6-13.8. The 00R with it's 385h.p. was much closer in 1/4 mile times to the 385h.p. Z06. I'm sure the 405h.p. Z06 (2002?) ran even faster.

Robert

Terry Moenich

Established Member
My first 95 R Ran 13.01...then I bent the output shaft on the trans :lol: :lol: :lol: trying for 12.99.

The Z06 picked on the 95 because he probably got his plastic doors blown off by a 2000 R!! :banana: :banana:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Terry Moenich said:
The Z06 picked on the 95 because he probably got his plastic doors blown off by a 2000 R!! :banana: :banana:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

thats music to bruce's ears :lol1:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
93SVTCobra said:
Didn't MM&FF run a 12.8 way back when?

I think that was the heavily modded car w/ slicks. In the MMFF Aug. 1999 issue they did a 13.2 @ 106.

Who wants to drag race a road race car (the R or the Z06)?

The best performance of the 95R is the .96g on the 100' skidpad.

Bobby, I'd never even consider racing on the street. Many States will confiscate your car. Your insurance would be cancelled (which would require 'assigned risk' coverage). You could also be charged with manslaughter. What's fun about that?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Didn't MM&FF run a 12.8 way back when?

MM&FF got a "magazine test" 95R into the 12's with slicks, skinny's on the front, timing tweaked and the air box and serpentine belt removed. That was in 95/96 when these cars were new. I think the final time was 12.98 or 99. I have never seen any 95R's run in the very low 13's or high 12's on their original 255/45 BFG's and in stock (as they came from Ford) trim. There were many magazine drag tests performed on the 95R when new.

Robert

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Mine did the 13.01 on ET Street Slicks to clarify, that is why I bent the output shaft. Rt 66 Dragstrip really hooks!!

bobby1

Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I think that was the heavily modded car w/ slicks. In the MMFF Aug. 1999 issue they did a 13.2 @ 106.

Who wants to drag race a road race car (the R or the Z06)?

The best performance of the 95R is the .96g on the 100' skidpad.

Bobby, I'd never even consider racing on the street. Many States will confiscate your car. Your insurance would be cancelled (which would require 'assigned risk' coverage). You could also be charged with manslaughter. What's fun about that?
Lets not get carried away! Ill bet if you like fast cars you have tried to get the gas pedal thru the floorboard. :-D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ShelbyGuy said:
you guys need to work on your autocross launch :D get that 60' time down below 2.0 seconds and you should be in the high 12s STOCK.

I did it with just a k&n at us41 and they do what can best be described as "minimal track prep"

John:

There's a BIG difference in the 95R and the '03 Cobra. :coolman:

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
There are usually a couple Z06's that fall victim to my 95R at each of our WDCR-SCCA autocross events. It seems like the 03 Cobra's don't even show up any more because they get beat so badly.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
bobby1 said:
Lets not get carried away! Ill bet if you like fast cars you have tried to get the gas pedal thru the floorboard. :-D

Yea, I'll push the speed limit from time to time. Anyone that has driven through Georgia will tell you our State Patrol allows a little leeway.

Heck no, I would not even consider racing on the street. I'm not sure I could live with myself if I hurt someone on the street. I keep my racing on the race track. I've had a competition road race license for 14 years and previous to that I had a NHRA comp license (back when). Last weekend I tried to push that pedal through the floorboard every lap and still got beat. :shrug: I think someone needs to start a senior racing tour for us old and slow folks. :coolman:

I ain't as good as I once was that's the cold hard truth, but I am as good once as I ever was :-D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
bobby1 said:

I will freely admit I did a LOT of dumb stuff when I was young! But when I was young there was less than half the traffic there is now. Not that that's any excuse!

Now, after a weekend of running around a race track with my hair on fire with the car sideways, chasing all of my Pals, I'm genuinely tired. My need for speed has been COMPLETELY satisfied and I don't mind driving behind Granny on the Highway for a while. In fact, it's kind of a nice break. My wife says I drive like a Grandpa. :dw: Well, she has YET to ride with me on track so she basically has no clue.

CobraR77 said:
There are usually a couple Z06's that fall victim to my 95R at each of our WDCR-SCCA autocross events. It seems like the 03 Cobra's don't even show up any more because they get beat so badly.

Todd:

You should know a Z is no challenge for an "R"? :poke: That's why R comes before Z in the Alphabet!!! :read:

1995COBRA-R said:
I think someone needs to start a senior racing tour for us old and slow folks. :coolman:

:-D

Yeah, maybe then I'd be a little more competitive?!! ;-) :lol: :p

Last edited:

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
A Z06 should pull on it so don't be shocked. I'm curious, since heads and cam swap are a very common mod on the 5.0, are there any 95 r owners that have done a heads and cam swap? I'm curious on what kind on numbers you are making.

Users who are viewing this thread