My car went bang yesterday

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
So I was taking a buddy for a ride in my car yesterday, after I got my T56 done. Drive around normal for 4-5 miles, then get out to a nice stretch of open road so I hammer it. Pulls nicely all the way to 6800, then I let off and immediatly here a a loud bang/grinding/vibrating noise and the whole car starts shaking like crazy. Similar to the noise it made when I broke a halfshaft, like a loud grinding, only much louder/more violent.

I stop and check out underneath the car, everything looks fine and it still drives. I get home and put the rear up on jack stands and have my buddy take a look while I put it in gear. Turns out that one of the caps on my u joint popped off! WTF? It was down in there good and had the clips in to keep it from moving.

Anyone ever have this happen before? User error maybe? Or a bad clip?

Also, should I just replace the whole thing (u joint)?

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Dang!!! You must be running some serious torque,lol. Maybe a clip didn't go all the way in and with the rotation it snapped off.

Well it's not stock or anything, but I do have an Eaton and 4.56's. Doubt that really played that much of a role in it though.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ man no kidding! i was scared there for a sec.

funny thing is that the sounds your car made and stuff sort of described what mine felt like back in october. unfortunately mine wasn't just a u-joint....

Last edited:

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Time for a drive shaft loop :)

Do those have to be welded in, or can they be bolted in? I have thought about one.

^ man no kidding! i was scared there for a sec.

funny thing is that the sounds your car made and stuff sort of described what mine felt like back in october. unfortunately mine wasn't just a u-joint....

What happened? When you threw a rod through the block?

hahaha I got scared for a sec too.... just replace the whole thing, they are cheap

That's my plan, however now my impact won't even break the driveshaft bolts loose. :mj:

That, and I'm getting one of those sick to the stomach feelings. The diff is leaking. Has a small little drip and I can see a trail it left while running over the pumpkin. :( I'm thinking all that harsh vibration may have took out something else in it's path of destruction.

Last edited:

Jamie R.

Established Member
You can bolt the loop in and you should have already had one in the car, so get going on that:-D Hope you did'nt get anything else damaged and man the thought I had when I read this:nonono: Good luck with it.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Kirko

Established Member
Damn man. I was wanting to go for a ride and see how that eaton, t56, and 4.56 combo was. I guess that is for another day. Hope it is just a U-Joint and nothing more.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Never heard of a clip breaking but it is possible. Another thing is if the cap wasn't down far enough the clip wouldn't of locked into place.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
What happened? When you threw a rod through the block?
well yea, sorta. rod snapped, then whipped the portion of the rod still attatched to the crank around and punched a huge hole in the driver side, small hole in the passenger side, and jacked the oil pan the passenger side too. suprisingly enough there wasn't that much oil underneath the car, and there was still about 5qts of oil too when i drained it...

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
well yea, sorta. rod snapped, then whipped the portion of the rod still attatched to the crank around and punched a huge hole in the driver side, small hole in the passenger side, and jacked the oil pan the passenger side too. suprisingly enough there wasn't that much oil underneath the car, and there was still about 5qts of oil too when i drained it...

Off topic, but that right there is proof of how much oil stays in the heads of these cars when they are running.

Users who are viewing this thread