My Cobra is Hissing at me!!

SneakySnake23

Representing Winnipeg Mb
Established Member
I've noticed this a few times now. Seems to be only when I run the A/C. I'll drive for a short or long amount of time, doesn't seem to matter, and when I turn the car off, get out and close the door, the car hisses like something is getting on the header or exhaust. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side near the firewall, which led me to believe it was just some condensation off of the a/c lines or something. So I didn't think much of it. And I really couldn't see much because its so cramped on that side especially.

Past 2 weeks the car has been having a random stalling problem. Again it seems to be when the A/C is on or has been ran earlier. That might just be coincidence though because its been hot here lately so its been on most the time.

Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it as far as when its not warmed up, or been driving awhile. More so when its already warmed up and at operating temp though. But it always happens when I put the clutch in and pull the car out of gear. The Rpm's just slowly drop and then off. Kind of a pain in the ass when your trying to yeild at high speed lol. I'm trying to get some time on the dyno with my tuner to see if somethings gone goofy, thought I would ask here too.

-The car doesnt have a killer chiller, or any cooling mods for that matter which I have to do something about.

-Kooks longtubes and catless X

-Only 44,000 Kilometers, so I dunno 20 something thousand miles.

Any idea's? I thought maybe the hissing was a common thing with LT's?

svtgrl99

Established Member
Mine AC in my 1999 Cobra and my 2001 cobra both made that same noise. Nothing to worry about.

Spoolx

Established Member
Mine does it too, especially when I slam the door.. almost like it knocks a buncha water loose

SneakySnake23

Representing Winnipeg Mb
Established Member
Any idea's on the stalling out? Cars going on the Dyno Wednesday, so if its a tune issue it will be fixed.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
So it dies when in neutral, or the clutch is in and not under load? I'm not sure about Cobras, but on my old turbo dodge, I had a similar issue, and it was the vehicle speed sensor taking a dump.. Basically the car had no idea how fast it was moving, and it would die with the clutch in or in neutral.

SneakySnake23

Representing Winnipeg Mb
Established Member
So it dies when in neutral, or the clutch is in and not under load? I'm not sure about Cobras, but on my old turbo dodge, I had a similar issue, and it was the vehicle speed sensor taking a dump.. Basically the car had no idea how fast it was moving, and it would die with the clutch in or in neutral.

Say I'm driving in 4th gear at 1800 rpm just normal cruise speed. I take my foot off the gas and push the clutch in like usual, normally rpms would drop to idle say 800 rpm. When the problem occurs it drops to 500rpm and goes to maybe 300rpm and struggles to keep running. Sometimes I catch it happening and give the throttle a small kick, up to say 1500rpm and it settles at 800rpm and its fine. But if I don't notice immediately it will die.

And its very random. I've tried to make it occur purposely but I can't. When I take the car out, out of say 25 "cruise speed to clutch-in/break stops" it will do it once if that. Seems to be no pattern.

EDIT: also you asked about in gear or in neutral. Probably a mix of both. Normally I would put the clutch in and put it in neutral and brake to stop, but I'm sure its happened once without me doing that and leaving it in 4th with the clutch in.

Last edited:

Dinozero

Established Member
My 08 GT was stalling out exactly like yours was, took it to the dealership for an oil change and told them about it. They said my K&N air filter had came loose from the CAI. I felt retarded for not looking under the hood once myself. lol

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
my 99 had a stalling problem like that as well. I never for sure diagnosed it because i unhooked the battery and cleaned the MAF and IAC sensors all at the same time and the problem went away. Super creepy though to roll up on a red light and have the car die... lose the power steering and brakes while your coming up on traffic. It would start again and never threw a check engine light. It seemed like it would die because the rpms wouldnt catch at the normal idle setpoint, just keep dropping and unless i gave it gas, it would down for the count.

Try doing those things, they are easy and quick to clean and check before you spend any $ on a retune.

+1 to the AC condensation issue. Completely normal on that front.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
My car does the same thing.... Hissing. And the stall sounds like the infamous stalling issue which can be taken care of by your tuner. Something with the ECM. Nothing to fret about. Or you can take it to the dealer for a reflash. I had ittoo and when I got t tuned, they fixed that for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
A few years ago, I decided to get rid of my snake's hiss

stuck a 90-degree brass fitting in the hole and ran a hose down past the frame rail so it drips on the ground

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member

stuck a 90-degree brass fitting in the hole and ran a hose down past the frame rail so it drips on the ground.

Glad to see your solution to this. I commented about this problem a few months ago, knowing that it was condensation dripping on my xpipe. I was thinking about installing a shield but never crawled under there to fully look at the situation. Come to think of it, my truck has a hose for condensation drip...

Jefe

Established Member

stuck a 90-degree brass fitting in the hole and ran a hose down past the frame rail so it drips on the ground

Happen to have a pic of the location? Too hot to get under my car for the next couple months....

Mine hisses and pops and created a nice sized puddle under the car. Scared me the first time I saw it

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Happen to have a pic of the location?

No pics but hole is easy to find (that's what SHE said...) :coolman:

Looking from above, it comes out of firewall directly behind passenger exhaust manifold outlet

DISCLAIMER: I installed mine while replacing clutch, so trans was out....Don't recall if it's accessible otherwise

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
No pics but hole is easy to find (that's what SHE said...) :coolman:

Looking from above, it comes out of firewall directly behind passenger exhaust manifold outlet

DISCLAIMER: I installed mine while replacing clutch, so trans was out....Don't recall if it's accessible otherwise

Glad I read this thread a few days ago. I rarely turn the a/c on, but it is really hot today. I heard the same noise and located that hole mentioned above! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread