My desktop is broke. beep beep w blank screen

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
When I start it up it just goes 'beep... beep... beep...' and gives a blank screen I believe. There were a lot of pictures I wanted to keep. Anybody know how to fix? If not I'll just take it to microcenter and have them look at it. thanks.

Last edited:

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
try this

Unplug, hold power button down for 10 seconds, plug back in and turn back on

If no success
pull the ram out and reseat it (Make sure the PC Is off of course)

(open side case, find the sticks that are parrallel, and pull them and reseat them) They can only go in one way, may need a little bit of elbow grease

last but not least, if you have a video card, it may be that, depending on the model desktop can depend on the beep codes.... it may have gone bad, which explains no display.... as video card is the first boot process.

To fix, pull it out, go to a comp store buy a new one, show them your old one (PCI-E or AGP) depending on the year of your Desktop

If its onboard video (video port sits vertically) its a problem with your motherboard, or could be your memory like stated in first instruction...as your video shares memory and has its own dedicated...

GOOD LUCK

FordGTGuy

Established Member
The beeps are a motherboard error code.

Look up a manual for your motherboard and look for the error codes and it might just tell you what's wrong.

EDIT - Most likely your pictures are fine as this doesn't sound like a HDD issue.

Last edited:

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
The beeps are a motherboard error code.

Look up a manual for your motherboard and look for the error codes and it might just tell you what's wrong.

EDIT - Most likely your pictures are fine as this doesn't sound like a HDD issue.

so just look up a manual for the computer model online and find the error codes?

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
As stated its an error code. You need to lookup your manufactors beep code list to find out what it means. Just google for instance Dell beep code list. Something along those lines.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
so just look up a manual for the computer model online and find the error codes?

If this is a premade computer than a manual for the specific computer might have the error codes. If you can't find them look up what kind of motherboard is in your computer and look up the manual for the specific model and that should have the error codes.

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
thank you gentlemen, its a Acer Aspire... model number blah blah...Ill google some stuffsss

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Also look to see if your power button is a different color and is flashing with the beeps. Most OEM's design their systems to either have beep codes or flashing lights to indicate pre-post failures.

True story: When I was working at Dell doing some work with product group, we would take calls from customers with machine 30 days old or newer to try to catch stuff failing out of the box. I got a relay call from a deaf person with a machine not posting. Not thinking, I asked him to listen for the beep codes when he turned the computer on...

Users who are viewing this thread