My dog bit my nephew....

ScottsMach03

Established Member
My nephew came over today, he's 6. We are all outside in the back shooting my bow, when my dog decides to take a nip at my nephew. Left a nice 1/4" round puncture, wasn't very deep.

I commensed to beat the shit out of my dog, i swear i could have killed her. My dog is good around adults, but has never been around children. Shes not a mean spirited dog. She has never seen a child before, but i didn't think she would bite him.

I didn't see her when she bit him, but i imagine he was making fast movements, and she reacted to it. I kept asking my nephew to be still to let her smell him, but he kept moving around. I should have put her on her leash... She has never bit anyone before, shes 3yrs old and is a blackmouth cur.

We cleaned up the bite, and called the doctor to see if we needed to bring him in. He said as long as the kid, and dog are both up to date on their shots and the wound isn't bleeding bad then we should be ok. There was very little blood, in fact hardly any at all. We did get it all cleaned up, he was back playing before we got off the phone with the Doctor.

I feel real bad about this, i do love this dog, she has been a great dog, and has never harmed anything until now. Im not sure what i should do. I dont have kids, but i dont want to be worried everytime i have someone come over. I really dont want to get rid of her. My nephew is ok.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I highly doubt the dog can make any connection between the beating and the biting. Not my dog but not how I think it should have been handled IMO. If your worried about the dog, keep it on a leash and away when people are at your place. If that doesn't work for you, then theres adoption or doggy heaven but beating it will probably just get you bit too.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Well, my adrenaline went nuts, i couldn't keep my hands still enough to bandage up my nephew. Just for the record, i dont normally hit my dog, because i know where it leads to.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I probably would have done the same, but IMO, i think you should introduce your dog to more children/people. The more that she is exposed to what children do, the more relaxed she would be around them. It doesnt sound like a full attack, just very nervous reaction.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Nvr_Spds said:
I probably would have done the same, but IMO, i think you should introduce your dog to more children/people. The more that she is exposed to what children do, the more relaxed she would be around them. It doesnt sound like a full attack, just very nervous reaction.

+1. Slowly introduce the dog to children and they should be fine. You must be pretty sad after realizing you actually HIT your dog. I saw my dad did the same thing to my cousins. My parents friend wanted to leave their shitzu(sp) at our house where the akita was, so as soon as we took the shitzu in the backyard the akita immediately had the dog by its neck and wouldnt let go, so my dad gave it a good few punches and he finally let go. <---- :whine: :(

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i'm not here to judge you about the way the situation was handled, but if you're sure about your dog, work with her and get her acclamated to children (and other crazy situations). i don't necessarily think the dog should be destroyed over this.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I agree.

On a tangent though, we have 2 cats (roomates) - we just got a purebread JR terrier short hair - and I will gladly say that if either of the male/female cats **** with this baby girl puppy - they are going down. And not being "put down" but being reprimanded - and they have been latley. Add that to the fact that they think pissing on my laundry is a OK thing and they're in deep shit. I love em' but I hate em'. It just reaches a point you know?

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
Speaking on a behavioral point of view, if you hit your dog minutes after the fact it doesn't know why. When you reprimand or "address" bad behavior it has to be immediate. I have two dogs one of them a Lab and have had no problems around my two daughters, socialization is key.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
TripleBlack95 said:
I agree.

On a tangent though, we have 2 cats (roomates) - we just got a purebread JR terrier short hair - and I will gladly say that if either of the male/female cats **** with this baby girl puppy - they are going down. And not being "put down" but being reprimanded - and they have been latley. Add that to the fact that they think pissing on my laundry is a OK thing and they're in deep shit. I love em' but I hate em'. It just reaches a point you know?

I love cats, just a little salt and peper and there puuurrfect!!!

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
dog bites rarely require anything other than bandaids. cat bites get infected almost every time--especially if they are deep. their teeth are like bacteria laden needles, so they bite, inject bacteria, and the skin closes over quickly and traps the bacteria under the skin. dogs' teeth tend to rip, leaving the wound open to drain out. if his skin starts getting red around the bite, take him to the ER immediately for antibiotics.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
ScottsMach03 said:
Well, my adrenaline went nuts, i couldn't keep my hands still enough to bandage up my nephew. Just for the record, i dont normally hit my dog, because i know where it leads to.

It's understandable. My shepherd is my best friend.:rockon:

But if he bit a little kid, I'd mug his ass too.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
kasee 03 said:
Speaking on a behavioral point of view, if you hit your dog minutes after the fact it doesn't know why. When you reprimand or "address" bad behavior it has to be immediate. I have two dogs one of them a Lab and have had no problems around my two daughters, socialization is key.
Can't say enough how true this is. If you're going to have small visitors, your dog needs to know they're okay through socialization. If you have one local, a dog park is a good place, not only to get used to kids, but to learn other good dog behaviour. Good luck to you (next time you see red, try counting to 10 before striking out, might help).

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
Dogs do not react well to children. I read somewhere it is something about instanct and size. They feel threatend by things on their level. Its used to bigger people being around it and is therefore relaxed. You bring over a 3 foot tall person, albeit midget or a small child, they get defensive, and from what I understand usually frightened and go on the attack. You need to bring your dog around more kids, and be there the whole time. Show the dog the kid is your friend, and not some foreign animal. If he does it again though, its time to go. This doesn`t apply to all dogs, but basically either he is always going to do it, or he`ll get the message eventually. Be careful, and try to introduce them, unless of course you are SURE he will do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread