My dog got hit by a car today.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
When my wife came home from jogging this morning and went to the neighbors house who was gardening outside. I let our littlest dog run outside to them. After that, I decided to let our bigger (25lbs) dog outside to do the same. She ran right over to them too. She's been notorious for exploring places and wandering off. I walk over to hold her collar so she won't wonder off. She wiggled around and escaped from me. I thought she'd be fine because she just runs from house to house smelling doorsteps. She never has crossed a street.

Anyways, my wife goes and chases after her. Our dog and my wife are now down the block at the corner. I hear my wife scream at the top of her lungs "Millie!" A speeding car swerves and I hear my dog let out a loud high-pitched yelp. I just about fell to the ground. Some of our neighbors came outside. At this point, I didn't know if she got hit or not, but the neighbors down the street came to help and yelled towards me that she was running my direction. She ran into my garage and was whining with blood pouring down her legs. I pick her up and feel her leg to see if anything was broken. I took her upstairs and put her in the bath to wash the blood off. I then go to my computer to search for the nearest vet. I go back into the bathroom where my dog was. The look in her eyes told me that I need to get to the vet FAST. We hop in the car and fly to the vet. They take her in right away to do X-rays. The vet then asked if they have the "ok" to recessitate her if something were to happen. That made my heart drop into my stomach. After 3 hours of waiting and my wife crying she comes out with bandages wrapping her legs. Nothing was broken, but she tore some skin on her legs off. $563 later, she's back home and drugged out of her mind.

It would be a very bad day if I lost her. She's my first dog and we rescued her from the shelter. We're best buds. The weird thing is, when we first adopted her she would stop before crossing a street and look both ways. She doesn't anymore.

I didn't see my dog get hit. But my wife was close. From her perspective, my dog was running across the street and saw the car coming at the last minute. She stopped and slid a ways and smacked the side of the cars wheel bouncing off. I don't think her legs were run over. The bastard in the car didn't even stop.

FSSNK

Established Member
Glad she is alright man. God speed to a quick recovery.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
wow man im glad your dog is ok i have had that happen to me my dog got out i chased her and she ran accross traffic but the drivers luckily seen us running along side the road so they slowed down it was very scary but glad your buddy is ok:beer:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Yeah, I think she hit all wheel. So I don't think there was any damage to the car. I still would have stopped. If a dog damaged my car, I wouldn't have made the family pay a dime.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
It could have easily been WAY worse. She's pretty much lost the privilege of going in the front yard without a leash.

Fastboy

Established Member
About a month ago there was a dog fight in my front yard. I was sleeping at the time. I am glad I didn't have a dog involved. I would just wait your dog closely.

Thanks

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Sorry to hear. Hope she is ok. Mine last one got hit by a car and I had to find it half-way between impact and home and carry her back with tears in my eyes.

Had to put my Gshepard of 14 years, down because some douche hit him. I'll never forget how he looked and how I felt after ending his suffering...

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
scary stuff. Glad it was minor considering the normal outcome of dog vs car.

$563 isn't too bad....My mastiff is going in on Wednesday to get his front leg amputated due to bone cancer. You don't even want to know the total cost of the current cancer treatment plus the amputation:nonono:

CobraRyan

Banned
^wow. My gf's german shepard just died, and i adopted a black lab/retriever in her place. He doesnt leave the backyard w/o a leash because the first and only time that happend i was chasing him around the yard and he dashed across the street with me following and dashed back right in front of a car. The car saw me running across so he was going slow to begin with, but i wouldnt know what to do if i saw my dog get hit/killed by a car.

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
I am about 12 grand in vet bills since this time last year.... Glad she is okay... Also don't just blame the driver, it was not his "irresponsible driving" that got your dog hit IMO, but a lack of proper attention on the owners part...

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
I dont think the OP is saying it was the drivers fault, just that they didn't care enough to stop and check on the dog.

I'm glad your pup is OK. I clicked on this thread cringing b/c I figured I would have to write RIP.

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
I dont think the OP is saying it was the drivers fault, just that they didn't care enough to stop and check on the dog.

I'm glad your pup is OK. I clicked on this thread cringing b/c I figured I would have to write RIP.

I may have come off a bit harsh, it just seems people "tend" to blame the drivers when their pet is hit, when in reality it could have been avoided if they weren't running loose ya know?

Depending what vehicle the driver was in, they may have also not even noticed. Especially if contact was on the wheel, and being such a small dog.

Don't get me wrong, regardless who's fault it is, having that happen is awful. I would be as distraught if not more if that happened to my pup. It just is a lesson to be learned from, and one I doubt the OP will risk have happening agian.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
$536 don't seem that bad to keep a family member. I use to find humor in people who treated their pets like kids but after having my dog I understand. He is like my kid. I will be crushed when his time comes.

03vert70charger

Established Member
Happy your dog will be ok. If my dog was hit by a car and they didn't stop, I would probably chase them down and give them the beating of their life.

Users who are viewing this thread