My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
WHOA!!!

That is half what I paid Dean for a matching set in black from a 2013. That is without a doubt the best deal I have seen to date!

On edit....Dean has another set listed as being from a 2013 GT500 but the photo shows a set from GT. I like white piping and white "RECARO" stitching better as the skins are a bit more universal...

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/images/8-8-13 007.jpg

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
yea, when I looked back and saw what you paid.... I almost didn't post the link

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I paid the going rate so I can't complain.

Now I know who sealed the deal to get SAI's Super Snake take-off's. I had an idea but wasn't sure. I had tried to purchase some take-off Recaro skins from SAI way back when but was told no. I think Sam used to get quite a bit of SAI's inventory as well and they stopped selling to him. Makes you wonder what Dean paid for set of skins.

the5

Established Member
Do you think it would be possible to switch over the heated seat function also?

dc2r

Established Member
hi everyone. i was searching the message boards and came across this thread.

i have been found wanting for a set of recaros for my 2011 since they came out. but because my 2011 needs a "B" model recaro to be plug and play, they are almost impossible to find (without huge markups), and as we all know they are now discontinued by ford racing.

so recently i came across a set of "C" model recaros from a 2013 GT that was being stripped down for track use. the price was too good to pass up so i made the commitment and bought them.

installing them in my 2011 was almost bolt-in. my seats did not come with the seatbelt latches, and the seatbelt sensor plug on the recaro is square. my 2011 latch is round, so in the end the plugs had to be replaced with male-female leads to work.

here is the problem: the plugs for the airbag hardware matched up to the plug in the car. however, it does not work. the airbag light stays lit. i am not well versed on electronics so at first glance it seems like all the pins are there in the plugs? a borrowed snap-on obd2 diagnostic tool was used to try and clear the warning light but it just comes back on. the tool was unable to show a code, and only says there is an error in the side airbag system... and this is where everything stopped for me :(

... any help is appreciated?

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
hi everyone. i was searching the message boards and came across this thread.

i have been found wanting for a set of recaros for my 2011 since they came out. but because my 2011 needs a "B" model recaro to be plug and play, they are almost impossible to find (without huge markups), and as we all know they are now discontinued by ford racing.

so recently i came across a set of "C" model recaros from a 2014 GT that was being stripped down for track use. the price was too good to pass up so i made the commitment and bought them.

installing them in my 2011 was almost bolt-in. my seats did not come with the seatbelt latches, and the seatbelt sensor plug on the recaro is square. my 2011 latch is round, so in the end the plugs had to be replaced with male-female leads to work.

here is the problem: the plugs for the airbag hardware matched up to the plug in the car. however, it does not work. the airbag light stays lit. i am not well versed on electronics so at first glance it seems like all the pins are there in the plugs? a borrowed snap-on obd2 diagnostic tool was used to try and clear the warning light but it just comes back on. the tool was unable to show a code, and only says there is an error in the side airbag system... and this is where everything stopped for me :(

... any help is appreciated?

Different module probably.

Can you take the ABS sensor off your old seats and put it on the new ones?

dc2r

Established Member
Different module probably.

Can you take the ABS sensor off your old seats and put it on the new ones?

ABS, or SRS?
i am bad with electronics... from the pics posted in this thread can you identify which is the sensor?

i tried to leave voice mail with the number listed for tech support on the ford racing website (there is no email) but no one replied back, probably because i am not from the US. it is difficult for me to call during work hours (they are only open mon-fri) so leaving a message is my only option :nonono:

Last edited:

JoeS197

Established Member
Does anyone know where To get the supersnake seat skins? I like the look better than the stock Shelby skins, but I'm pretty sure Shelby American doesn't sell them on their website and I'm trying to find a set. I'm also sort of confused by this, so in order to get these seats into an 05-09 you have to switch the bases?

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
ABS, or SRS?
i am bad with electronics... from the pics posted in this thread can you identify which is the sensor?

i tried to leave voice mail with the number listed for tech support on the ford racing website (there is no email) but no one replied back, probably because i am not from the US. it is difficult for me to call during work hours (they are only open mon-fri) so leaving a message is my only option :nonono:

I'm not sure what it's called, but on the passenger side (at least on my car '07) there is a little box that plugs into a harness.

When I swapped my seats I had to remove the box from the '06 seat and put it on the '07 seat for the ABS light to work (turn off).

I suspect you've run into the same situation.

dc2r

Established Member
I'm not sure what it's called, but on the passenger side (at least on my car '07) there is a little box that plugs into a harness.

When I swapped my seats I had to remove the box from the '06 seat and put it on the '07 seat for the ABS light to work (turn off).

I suspect you've run into the same situation.

i was looking at my stock seat last night and there is a whole mess of stuff happening underneath. i honestly don't know where this "box" is. i was hoping to trace the harness to it but it gets bunched together with the seat heater and seat adjustment motor wiring and i lose my way after that...

but thanks for answering my questions Imatk. you have been my only source of info right now. i managed to get a live person on the phone before work this morning at ford racing, and the second i mentioned i was trying to fit an MC recaro into a 2011 he simply said "the airbag systems are not compatible and i cannot help you good luck". when i tried asking what parts were different between the MB and MC so that i could perhaps do a retrofit, he again would not help... is this the lawyers talking? :shrug:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Does anyone know where To get the supersnake seat skins? I like the look better than the stock Shelby skins, but I'm pretty sure Shelby American doesn't sell them on their website and I'm trying to find a set. I'm also sort of confused by this, so in order to get these seats into an 05-09 you have to switch the bases?

Contact Gary Disney. He can do them for you.

i managed to get a live person on the phone before work this morning at ford racing, and the second i mentioned i was trying to fit an MC recaro into a 2011 he simply said "the airbag systems are not compatible and i cannot help you good luck". when i tried asking what parts were different between the MB and MC so that i could perhaps do a retrofit, he again would not help... is this the lawyers talking? :shrug:

Yes, this a liability issue and FRPP doesn't want to get sucked in a potential legal mess.

dc2r

Established Member
tob:

i had a little bit of help from american muscle. they just said that the airbag plug had changed something between early and late 2012. since i was able to physically match the socket and plug between the seat and the car, i have to assume that there must be more pins inside the plug?

any idea where i can find parts diagrams and part numbers for both model years of seats online?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
tob:
any idea where i can find parts diagrams and part numbers for both model years of seats online?

Try Fordparts.com for factory diagrams as well as contacting Recaro.

Do you mean he can make me replicas, or get his hands on a set? Also how can I contact him?

Gary posted in this very thread, here. Contact him. The options are nearly endless.

dc2r

Established Member
thanks tob.

from your best recollection, was all the airbag stuff in your old seat the same as what was in your recaro? it is being suggested to me to pull all of my stuff out of my old 2011 seat and try to use the parts to retrofit the 2014 seat...

in the meantime, does having the srs light on because of the non-operating side airbags mean the front airbags will not work either? or should i be getting this, if it is what i think it is (ie. temporarily bypasses the srs light)?

2014 Ford Mustang Side Airbag Curtain Delete Resistor | FordParts.com

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Benjamin, I'm not in a position to comment on long term use of that resistor with respect to the rest of the SRS working in the event of an actual accident. Try asking the Master Mechanic at your local Ford dealer as he ought to be able to provide you with an accurate breakdown.

When FRPP dumped their original Recaro offering and went to the MC Recaro they made it a little more difficult (read: costlier). I was able to leave the newer style air bags in place that came with the seat but had to change everything else as documented within this thread. I believe that with the new, or MC seat, that yes, you'll have to swap the actual side air bag module as well.

"Mustang Don" documented this specific swap and commented as such...

Don said:
...they (the MC Recaro seats from FRPP) have an upgraded airbag module that works in cars from mid-2012 to 2014. Didn't work in our car and the previous version of this seat is no longer available. So, I will replace the airbag modules.

You can see what he did by viewing the photos here (scroll down to just below the halfway point on the page and you'll see the Recaro swap he did).

Good luck.

dc2r

Established Member
Benjamin, I'm not in a position to comment on long term use of that resistor with respect to the rest of the SRS working in the event of an actual accident. Try asking the Master Mechanic at your local Ford dealer as he ought to be able to provide you with an accurate breakdown.

When FRPP dumped their original Recaro offering and went to the MC Recaro they made it a little more difficult (read: costlier). I was able to leave the newer style air bags in place that came with the seat but had to change everything else as documented within this thread. I believe that with the new, or MC seat, that yes, you'll have to swap the actual side air bag module as well.

"Mustang Don" documented this specific swap and commented as such...

You can see what he did by viewing the photos here (scroll down to just below the halfway point on the page and you'll see the Recaro swap he did).

Good luck.

thanks tob. i'm going to take a look after this.

i contacted rehagen and they told me to get the codes read for the srs light. unfortunately the snap-on code reader could not read it, so i have to go to the ford dealer, who want the car for a minimum of 3 hours?!?:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread