My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

dc2r

Established Member
"Mustang Don" documented this specific swap and commented as such...

You can see what he did by viewing the photos here (scroll down to just below the halfway point on the page and you'll see the Recaro swap he did).

Good luck.

tob,

when you say "documented", did you mean don did a write up and posted it online? i tried to search but could not find anything to associate with the facebook pictures you linked to above...

dc2r

Established Member
Benjamin, I'm not in a position to comment on long term use of that resistor with respect to the rest of the SRS working in the event of an actual accident. Try asking the Master Mechanic at your local Ford dealer as he ought to be able to provide you with an accurate breakdown.

When FRPP dumped their original Recaro offering and went to the MC Recaro they made it a little more difficult (read: costlier). I was able to leave the newer style air bags in place that came with the seat but had to change everything else as documented within this thread. I believe that with the new, or MC seat, that yes, you'll have to swap the actual side air bag module as well.

"Mustang Don" documented this specific swap and commented as such...

You can see what he did by viewing the photos here (scroll down to just below the halfway point on the page and you'll see the Recaro swap he did).

Good luck.

just wanted to send out a public "thank you" to tob, rehagen, mustang don and everyone else who sent me info on how to convert my MC recaros to MB spec. because of inexperience it took two full working days to swap all the airbag related hardware from my old seats into the recaros, as well as change over the seat bases so that both seats now have power assist. also had carbon fibre seat heaters installed at the same time, and they are well worth it.

and heed the advice about pulling the fuse. just disconnecting the battery won`t work and you will get the SRS light on.... i learned that the hard way. my local ford dealer wanted my car for a minimum of 3 hours to reset the light (!) so i went to an indie shop and they took all of 5 minutes to reset it with the fuse. :nonono:

Last edited:

dc2r

Established Member
tob,

no pics, due to the epic fail on my part in which i messed up my smartphone after taking a dive in the snow... my pics are trapped in it :(

someone asked how much of a weight difference there is between the recaro and the normal seat. while trying to balance them on an old analog bathroom scale, it`s roughly somewhere between 10-15lbs difference for the driver seats.

my leathers are still showing crease marks from being folded and shipped in a box. the upholsterer said there isn`t much he can do other than hope for warmer weather and it should stretch out?

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
Hey Tob, the write up on the passenger swap never made it into the thread?? :shrug: I'll be doing this for mine at some point in '14 to get rid of that damn dash light. You got some Tob-quality pics to share for the right side? :poke:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
my leathers are still showing crease marks from being folded and shipped in a box. the upholster said there isn`t much he can do other than hope for warmer weather and it should stretch out?

Warm weather will indeed work wonders.

Hey Tob, the write up on the passenger swap never made it into the thread?? :shrug: I'll be doing this for mine at some point in '14 to get rid of that damn dash light. You got some Tob-quality pics to share for the right side? :poke:

Keen eye, worthy of some digging on my part. I'll do my best.

masterman

Established Member
I see you have the X-Brace back there, but do you think the 10 leather covers would fit over the rear stock seats of a 07-09? My only concern would be the lumbar bump.
EDIT: Originally I asked about the 13 skins fitting but the 10's look much closer to fitting the 07-09's due to the headrest differences.

2010_00041_09.jpg

rearseat.jpg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
any thoughts on using a blow dryer or a heat gun? or would that just cook it?

I was going to suggest it but had visions of someone ruining a perfectly good skin by focusing too much heat in one spot. Truthfully, some quality time with a blow dryer or a heat gun along with a well damped towel or rag may work as well.

I see you have the X-Brace back there, but do you think the 10 leather covers would fit over the rear stock seats of a 07-09? My only concern would be the lumbar bump.
EDIT: Originally I asked about the 13 skins fitting but the 10's look much closer to fitting the 07-09's due to the headrest differences.

2010_00041_09.jpg

rearseat.jpg

I remember seeing a thread or post on another site where someone provided a detailed breakdown of the differences between earlier and later S197 rear seats. I gave it little attention because I've never cared much for back seats in anything and knew I'd be pulling mine out.

I do have the '13 take off skins in a box somewhere as well as a box with a complete '07-'09 interior. Clearly, the head rest area differs but I'm not convinced the lumbar section is. I never followed through to see if there are seat frame differences (that may have been covered in the post I previously mentioned) and/or foam changes. I see your edit and agree that the '10 interior looks very close in back.

What is it you want to do?

masterman

Established Member
What is it you want to do?

I actually wanted to do exactly what you did in the front. In some instances though I do need my back seats so the dream of an X-Brace is out the window :shrug: But honestly I just think the newer seats look quite a bit better compared to the older seats and posses some class with the striped seats instead of the solid color throughout the entire center section. I feel that if I do do the fronts like you that the continuation of the stripes from the front seat to the back is a nice touch.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you still have any creases, pick up some Leatherique. The leather probably needs to be fed anyway and it will likely speed up the process of smoothing out the creases. It will also prevent marks from sitting in them over time.

Install looks great - did you add the heated seat option and button?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Benjamin, that is hawt! The pleats match the door panels well and I think this simple white Recaro embroidery looks very tasteful. Were you able to tap into one of the connectors under the seat for power for the heater?

dc2r

Established Member
If you still have any creases, pick up some Leatherique. The leather probably needs to be fed anyway and it will likely speed up the process of smoothing out the creases. It will also prevent marks from sitting in them over time.

Install looks great - did you add the heated seat option and button?

Yes creases... I have Lexol, but not Leatherique. I will have to try and look for it. The subzero cold weather dosen't help either as I do not have indoor parking.

The shop that helped me do the install and swap did a carbon fiber heating element retrofit as well. It was a 2-stage heater so the single-stage OEM dash button does not work. But it works better than the OEM heaters and I can leave the switch in one of the on positions so that they come on automatically with the remote engine start that I have. I can't do that with the OEM switch.

Last edited:

dc2r

Established Member
Benjamin, that is hawt! The pleats match the door panels well and I think this simple white Recaro embroidery looks very tasteful. Were you able to tap into one of the connectors under the seat for power for the heater?

For some reason, the stitching is white, but the embroidery for the logo is almost a very light silver? The logo on the cloth covers I took off that were originally on these seats were also the same.

I wish they had the alcantara inserts that the GT500 covers have, but because I am (ahem) a bit "wide" I am not doing any sliding around.

The installer did tap power from the OEM connector. Unfortunately the dash switch would only trigger the low temp setting for the aftermarket seat heaters he installed (they are 2-stage).

Last edited:

Paul.

Established Member
Tob, I was inspired by your how-to instructions, and thank you VERY much for all the detailed pics BTW. I really appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Yesterday I drove 250 miles to pick up a set of the "B" clotch Recaros for my '11 GT, and Rehagen has a set of '12 GT500 skins on the way for me. (would have gotten them yesterday but I wasn't here to sign for them) I also need to order the OEM seat heater pads from Tousley because my car came with heated seats and I want to retain everything with factory fit/finish.

Do you think you could post some of your pics on the passenger side install? I just want to see how the passenger seat occupant classification thing went in there.

Finally, are you aware of any write-ups and pics on how to re-skin the back seat? I've been digging around and I've not found any yet.

Thanks man.

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread