My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

Paul.

Established Member
So while I'm not sure if this should be added here, or to another post, I thought it might be helpful to add a how-to install the back seat skins. TOB, if you don’t want this clogging up your thread, I can delete it and just link it some place else.

My 2011 GT had the 401A leather option, but since I’m doing the front Recaros anyway with Shelby leather, I wanted to retain the back seat and have it match. My car is a daily driver and boulevard cruiser, so I thought keeping the back seat was a good idea.

I forgot to take a picture of the rear seat installed before I began. To remove the seat cushion, just find the two plastic “posts” under the seat that install to the floor pan. Push on them to release, then just lift up and it comes out. Takes two seconds.

Here’s the seat back after the cushion is removed.
BackSeatBefore_zpsee89a855.jpg

Here’s the pivot sold the seats can fold down. It’s held in a place by one bolt that you’ll need a 13mm socket to remove it.
BackSeatPivot_zps0c94fc76.jpg

You’ll also need to remove the two bolts on either side of the seats. Then the whole seat back pops out.
BackSeatRemoved_zps5143f359.jpg

We’ll start with the back seat cushion.
BackSeatCushionBefore_zps6f536ac9.jpg

When you flip it over, you’ll see a bunch of plastic clips holding the skin on. The pics below are not all-inclusive, but you get the idea.
BackSeatHooks1_zps4300bf53.jpg

BackSeatHooks2_zps325fff51.jpg

BackSeatHooks3_zps210e61c4.jpg

BackSeatHooks4_zps3e992aea.jpg

BackSeatHooks5_zpsf4597ba9.jpg

There is also on plastic push-pin on either side of the seat.
BackSeatPushPin_zpsc48c4fb6.jpg

I used a trim removal tool to pop this. Besides the 13mm socket, it’s actually the only other tool you need to do this whole job.
BackSeatPushPinRemoval1_zps8bb22174.jpg

BackSeatPushPinRemoval2_zps22ba5e14.jpg

A few of the clips push into slots in the plastic seat base, rather than clipping on an edge. The trim removal tool can help with these, or a pair of long-nose pliers might help too. Still, it’s not hard. Once you’ve unclipped everything, you can just pull the skin off. I removed most of them, but the clips on the leading edge were a little tight so I started peeling the skin off from the back all the way around the front, then the clips came off easily. Here’s what you’re left with .
BackSeatFoam_zpsc8ad435a.jpg

BackSeatDisassembled_zpsdec34370.jpg

Then grab your new skin, and start re-installing everything. This is a pretty straightforward job, with a bit of tugging to get everything seated just right. (pun intended) Make sure you get the seams driven down into the grooves in the foam so the Velcro attaches and pulls everything tight. Here’s the finished seat cushion.
BackSeatShelbySkinInstalled_zps05d6d799.jpg

Sit back and take some satisfaction at completing the cushion, because the seat backs are a little more involved. Still not difficult, but it takes a little longer. Here’s your starting place.
BackSeatUpperBefore_zps3caded2c.jpg

Flip it over, and look at the corner for a small Velcro tab. You’ll need to unhook this.
BackSeatVelcro1_zpsf06b52f7.jpg

BackSeatVelcro2_zps27f0c8b9.jpg

BackSeatVelcro3_zpsd5ce5b14.jpg

Moving to the other corner, you’ll have the familiar plastic joints that are used all over the interior upholstery. They’re basically interlocking plastic tabs that you snap together and fold over to hold everything tight. Once you take one apart, you’ll see how they work and go back together. Lift up, and pry them apart. This corner one is easy and you can actually slide the two pieces apart.
BackSeatClip1_zps4b4e74c2.jpg

BackSeatClip2_zps365177a5.jpg

BackSeatClip3_zps096564cf.jpg

BackSeatClip4_zps0bc867fc.jpg

More of the same with the large clip at the seat bottom.
BackSeatClip5_zpse946311e.jpg

BackSeatClip6_zps8d7e4681.jpg

Once you get it open, lift the flap and you’ll find some Velcro strips attached in the middle. Detach these.
BackSeatVelcro4_zps5f7a7c9e.jpg

BackSeatVelcro5_zpsd1b4400f.jpg

Now you’re going to need to start pushing the skin up toward the top of the seat. You won’t be able to remove it entirely because it will be stuck under the headrest, which we’ll remove next.
BackSeatPeeled1_zps7d58a0f1.jpg

Flip it over and you’ll see the foam pad.
BackSeatPeeled2_zps7a537a71.jpg

Lift the foam pad and you’ll see a metal box. This whole assembly is what holds the headrests in place.
BackSeatHeadrestRemoval1_zpsc6091c89.jpg

There are two plastic buttons just above the metal box. It helps to have another set of hands for this part. Push both buttons and have someone pull the headrest out of the seat back assembly.
BackSeatHeadrestRemoval2_zpseb767d89.jpg

Here’s a better look at what everything looks like without the cushion in the way.
BackSeatHeadrestRemoval3_zpsa8684a62.jpg

Now we start on the headrest.
BackSeatHeadrest1_zps11cc9f9f.jpg

The two flaps at the bottom of the headrest just snap together. There’s a little groove in one flap, and a t-shaped tab in the other.
BackSeatHeadrest2_zps0b4e2efb.jpg

BackSeatHeadrest3_zps0a871b77.jpg

Seam pulled apart. Hecho en Mexico.
BackSeatHeadrest4_zps32a5b09c.jpg

Carefully pull the material out from around the headrest pushbutton.
BackSeatHeadrest5_zpsf74144ce.jpg

BackSeatHeadrest6_zps52263bda.jpg

After that, all you do is pull the headrest internals out of the skin. Very easy. Here’s what you’re left with.
BackSeatHeadrest7_zps0413db57.jpg

This was not made in America, or Mexico I would guess.
BackSeatHeadrest8_zps356fbaad.jpg

Reinstall the new cover, and your headrest is done. Then, back to the seat back.
BackSeatHeadrest9_zps708f9d92.jpg

Here’s the new Shelby skin installed. Don’t forget to lace the seatback release pull through the side of each seat so you can fold your seats down later.
BackSeatUpperComplete_zpsf96e6d32.jpg

Do that twice, and you’ll have a complete rear seat all done. Mine still had a few wrinkles in certain places, probably from being boxes up, but I think that will release over time with some good old fashioned Phoenix heat.
BackSeatAfter_zpse90aed7e.jpg

Then reinstall them in your car, and voila! Done!
BackSeatAfterInstalled1_zpsc3e8ec6b.jpg

BackSeatAfterInstalled2_zps7c637cc8.jpg

Finally, you’ll have your old skins left over in case you ever want to return to stock, or sell them.
BackSeat401ASkins_zps8fbc67c2.jpg

The whole job takes maybe a few hours. It's pretty darn easy I think. Definitely makes the interior look sharp. With the low cost and availability of takeoffs, it is definitely an excellent upgrade. You spend all your time in the interior, so might as well make it look nice. :)

Paul.

PRP

Established Member
I also did not heed TOBs warning about the little metal c-clip that retains the seatback adjustment lever. It popped, and went flying somewhere in my house. I've still not found it. Not sure how I'm going to remedy that situation yet.

Go to just about any 'discount auto store' (pepboys, kragen, etc) and find their wall of universal parts. The clips are the same clips used on the old roll up window cranks and door opener handles.

There is a tool that lets you remove the clips from the outside too. It's for door handle clips where you can't get behind the panel to get the clip. It's a flat piece of metal that slips in behind the lever and pushes the clips out.

To put them back on, just put them on the lever and push it on. Notice the shaft has a slightly pointed end? That opens the clip up to allow you to push it over the shaft until you hit the groove in the shaft and it clicks into position.

Easy peasy.

Phill

Paul.

Established Member
Thanks for the tip Phill. I've looked for the clip, but I think it crossed through some kind of time warp into another plane of existence. I'll run to the parts store and try to find another one. My seat heaters should get here sometime next week, and perhaps in two weekends I'll start working on the front seats. I can't wait!

Paul.

PRP

Established Member
Phill, I believe that your 2010 module will occupy the same physical space as the later module. I have not held both in my hand and am basing my assumption on studying "Mustang Don's" photos and comments on the subject.

<SNIP>

Phill, you pose a good question. I've never seen a negative comment regarding available helmet space on the Recaro's as equipped for either the GT500 or the Boss 302 cars. There are quite a few images you can find and study as well of open track driven cars with that configuration.

Thanks for the reply, Tob.

I'm not sure what year Don's car is so I wasn't sure if he was installing a 'like' module or not. My thinking is that the modules will all be about the same physical size so they SHOULD interchange. As will the seat sensors and HOPEFULLY, the lumbar support bladder.

As for the helmet issue: I took my helmet into my local dealer who has 2 2013 GT500's sitting on the showroom floor. I sat in one with my helmet on and and adjusted the seat to about where I normally have mine adjusted (with my bad back, it's laid back quite a bit). I didn't have any issue with my head being pushed forward like I do with my OEM seats, which REALLY push my heard forward (I had to pull the headrest out while sitting in the car staging it in the staging lane when I forgot to remove it one time). I put the seat forward about as much as I could while still being *somewhat* comfortable and the headrest *just* hit the back of the helmet with it there so I'm confident they'll be okay.

FWIW, I'm also dealing with Dean for the set I'm planning to buy. I assume the other poster asking about the $3600 pair is too since he has a set on e-bay he's asking that price for.

Thanks again for the info,

Phill

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Eric - I did not. I don't drive the car in temperatures cold enough to mandate heat for my derriere. And to be fair, I'm a bit on the cold blooded side and as such I'm talking about snowmobile temperatures. But I can certainly appreciate and respect the mod from a technical standpoint.

Paul, your work on the rear seats absolutely should be here in this thread. Your (and plenty of others') input takes it to yet another level. Good job! Mighty fine camera work too!

Paul.

Established Member
Eric, I'll be adding the OEM seat warmers to my Recaros in just a few weeks. I'll post pics of everything so you can do the same if you like.

Does anyone know how I might take some of the wrinkles/creases out of my seats? Or should I just wait for summertime to take care of it?

Paul.

the5

Established Member
Eric, I'll be adding the OEM seat warmers to my Recaros in just a few weeks. I'll post pics of everything so you can do the same if you like.

Does anyone know how I might take some of the wrinkles/creases out of my seats? Or should I just wait for summertime to take care of it?

Paul.

Thank you! I will wait for you results! And I get my Butt will just be cold until then!

Paul.

Established Member
Seat heaters are in! (plus some other stuff in the pics for my car that you can ignore)

I won't be able to tackle the rest of the install this weekend, but I'm hoping to have the whole project wrapped up next weekend. :)

Paul.

VariousParts_zps0b0512d5.jpg

Paul.

Established Member
Hah! Thanks Tob. While my build threads don't typically deliver the same level of clarity or detail as yours, you have inspired me. If I didn't have to fly out again for work tomorrow morning, (boo!) I would be working on this project right now!

Your tech how-to threads rule. I've been going through them as time permits reading them cover-to-cover. I love it. (the CF driveshaft one is next when I have a couple hours)

I'll probably post my own "build thread" for my '11 GT that's been going on for a couple years - just gotta figure out what forum it goes in first. Turns out SVTP is a huge place and I don't want to run awry of the moderators.

Paul.

the5

Established Member
Seat heaters are in! (plus some other stuff in the pics for my car that you can ignore)

I won't be able to tackle the rest of the install this weekend, but I'm hoping to have the whole project wrapped up next weekend. :)

Paul.

Ahh I cant wait!
Im really starting to miss them!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I assumed he meant used but went back and saw that Paul said he was selling the "new" cloth skins. Interesting!

Paul said:
Here's my brand new FRPP cloth skins that I'll be selling.

Paul.

Established Member
Yep, mine were brand new "B" seats that the seller decided not to use, so $2500 didn't seem too bad. The cheapest I've found for new FRPP Recaros was $2800 shipped from Rehagen.

Used prices can vary widely.

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
Picked up a late flight back from Charlotte last night to avoid the snow/ice and travel advisories today. It's gonna be 74* here today in Phoenix. Everywhere else can suck it.

Anyway, power/heated/lumbar/leather Recaro passenger seat conversion is officially underway. I've got my stock seat sitting in my living room right now, some tools, and a few cold beers. Let's do this.

Stay tuned.

Paul.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Make sure you stand up every now and then to allow the blood to flow through your legs.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread