My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Dean has a pretty damn good resume. Take a gander...

Dean Martin | LinkedIn

I'm guessing the '13 takes offs are getting installed over the custom covers.

Cat, you know what? I don't know what I'm going to do. I'll inspect each - thoroughly. Then I'll just go with my gut. :)

Tob, I bought my set of takeoffs from the same guy on ebay. He sells a lot of them.

Have we seen photos of your completed seats yet?

pony23

Established Member
Tob, they are not done yet. I just have the skins so far. Still need to buy the seats. Figured I might as well buy the skins while I can get them.

fiveliter50

Established Member
I did this same swap on my 09 as well bought the frpp recaros and swapped over the 2012 ford gt500 recaro leather skins, I also added seat warmers. It was quite a bit of work. especially getting the electronics swapped over. The good news was the side air bags were plug and play so no need to swap them or change anything with them. If you need any help let me know. Good luck with the project. I really love them. Makes the interior much better over the stock "boat seats". They give a more "Shelby" feel, they hold you in and your not slipping a sliding all over. It almost makes you feel like your car handles better lol.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Oh brother, if you have any photos - please share 'em!

I was told the same thing about the air bags, that the newer ones can stay in place and don't need to be swapped out. What I'm wondering about are removing the various knobs, buttons, etc. Did they all release with a pick or screwdriver or do any of them just pull off?

And what did you do about removing the two shoulder harness bezels? Gary Disney told me that he leaves them in place and gently tugs on the leather and works it both off and then back on, slipping it in place. Did you remove yours?

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member

I was told the same thing about the air bags, that the newer ones can stay in place and don't need to be swapped out. What I'm wondering about are removing the various knobs, buttons, etc. Did they all release with a pick or screwdriver or do any of them just pull off?

And what did you do about removing the two shoulder harness bezels? Gary Disney told me that he leaves them in place and gently tugs on the leather and works it both off and then back on, slipping it in place. Did you remove yours?

You cannot tug on the leather!!!DO NOT DO IT!I just swapped mine over,got the seats from Tousley for 2500.00 shipped,matching seat covers on eBay for 600.00.The upholestry is secured in the harness holes with hooks.If you notice there are holes in the leather where the seat belt harness bezels go.If you tug on the leather,it will rip.You have to remove the bezels,carefully by prying.Take two fingers under the front bottom bezel and pull.The rear bezel will hump up in two spots where they join up in the middle.Take a very small flathead and insert in the raised area,it will be very small.twist the screwdriver and the bezel will pop loose.Two on top,two on bottom.The rears are held in by two clips on the side.You have to use needle nose pliers to squeeze them together while pulling from the back.Two people make this a lot easier.Feel free to PM me.Mine are power now.You have to pull the leather over the hooks inside the harness holes.....Al

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member

You will need to swap seat bottoms in '07-'10.The main big gray plug on the seat bottom has more terminals on the newer seats for '11-'13.The seat plastic on the sides will possibly break when removed but can be attached with tie straps.It has a screw in the back and pulls off.The recline lever is held with a small clip.Pull it out with a screwdriver.The lever sometimes comes right off,somethimes is a PITA.A flathead on the bottom,each side will work it off.Then put the clip in the lever and push on the seat.I have done 4 seats so far,so i am getting better each time.The seat back will have to be unbolted from the base with four bolts,two each side.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
How did you deal with the bezels that are there in case you want to use a shoulder harness? Were you able to release all the tabs in order to split and remove them or did you leave them in place and slip the old covers off as well as slip the new leathers by them?

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
How did you deal with the bezels that are there in case you want to use a shoulder harness? Were you able to release all the tabs in order to split and remove them or did you leave them in place and slip the old covers off as well as slip the new leathers by them?

Read my previous post.I believe on page 5.It tells how....Al

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Al, I missed your last post on the previous page. Everything you said makes perfect sense - thank you.

Tob

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
Thanks Al, I missed your last post on the previous page. Everything you said makes perfect sense - thank you.

Tob

Feel free to PM me if you run into any snags.I have done 4 Recaro swaps so far and counting...getting pretty good at installing covers/seat bases:banana:...Al

shelby2

Established Member
Hi Al,

I have a set of 2013 that I need to convert to 2009. I understand pass bladder has to be swapped over. What else needs to be swapped and how did u hook the electronics up when putting the recaros on the power base? Want to be informed as much as poss. B4 tearing the seat bottoms apart. I don't need to swap skins since I'm lucky enough to have the leather recaro's but like I said do need to put them in a 2009. Thank you for any tricks advise/instruction u can give.

Mark

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
Hi Al,

I have a set of 2013 that I need to convert to 2009. I understand pass bladder has to be swapped over. What else needs to be swapped and how did u hook the electronics up when putting the recaros on the power base? Want to be informed as much as poss. B4 tearing the seat bottoms apart. I don't need to swap skins since I'm lucky enough to have the leather recaro's but like I said do need to put them in a 2009. Thank you for any tricks advise/instruction u can give.

Mark

The '09 seat bases will need to be swapped.I would do the complete assembly.It would be much easier,but the bladder can be swapped.It is held in by two push pins in the front.Easy to remove.You need a trim tool,kind of forked,cats paw looking tool.The Recaros have a metal bracket on the seat bases for the thigh bolsters.You will need to cut those off with a cut off wheel and weld back on the '09 base.Another option is to remove the seat covers off both '09 and '13 and swap all wiring and sensors.I found it easier to just swap complete bases because you have proxmity sensors for the airbags.Either way the bottoms will have to be removed from the seat backs.There are two bolts on each side of the seat. The seat you have will bolt right in and i know the airbags up to '12 are the same...can't say on '13 but i think they are also.I noticed on my '13 FRPP Recaros,the large gray plug on the bottom had more blade terminals inside,so i used my '10 seat bases/plugs.The airbag plug was the same.Also if you swap '09 bases,you will have power seats.Hope this helps...check page 5 post for how to remove the harness trim if you need,but if you are just swapping bottoms,that would not be needed....Al

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
At dinner right now but I did start on this a few hours ago. Just as I thought, the harness bezels are a royal PIA...

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
At dinner right now but I did start on this a few hours ago. Just as I thought, the harness bezels are a royal PIA...

If you do it correctly,the bezels will not be broken and your finger tips will hurt for a day or two.You have to really pull on the bottom,front to get the rear bezel to hump up so you will know where to insert the samll flathead.FINGERS WILL PAY!!!!:burnout:

shelby2

Established Member
Thanks for the info, can use all I can get. Tob hope ur dinner was good and things are going smoothly for you.

Mark
:pop:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Wife bought (my birthday was a few days ago). King Crab. Flatulence awaits.

Just came upstairs. I'm doing this one in the basement on an old piece of carpet next to the washer/dryer. I took a plethora of photos. I'm only into the driver side and I'm not done. I now see what Al was referring to when he mentioned welding. I'll break the Tig out tomorrow. There are a ton of details with this mod.

Al, I think I did my bezel removal different than you and I'll show what I did with a few photos. The Recaro engineer that designed them deserves a swift kick in the nuts (no, make that two kicks to the nuts).

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
Wife bought (my birthday was a few days ago). King Crab. Flatulence awaits.

Just came upstairs. I'm doing this one in the basement on an old piece of carpet next to the washer/dryer. I took a plethora of photos. I'm only into the driver side and I'm not done. I now see what Al was referring to when he mentioned welding. I'll break the Tig out tomorrow. There are a ton of details with this mod.

Al, I think I did my bezel removal different than you and I'll show what I did with a few photos. The Recaro engineer that designed them deserves a swift kick in the nuts (no, make that two kicks to the nuts).

ha!...swift kick in the nuts!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I found swapping the power lumbar rather simple. I changed my original for the non-power 'bed spring' support that came inside the Recaro. Did you swap yours as well Al?

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
I found swapping the power lumbar rather simple. I changed my original for the non-power 'bed spring' support that came inside the Recaro. Did you swap yours as well Al?

I considered that,but after sitting in the Recaros,i felt they were not needed.They provided the support i was looking for.I did put them in a customers seat,but not mine.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Driver side seat is done and in. Not that bad of a mod but there are a couple of obstacles that would turn some away. I don't have time for a writeup but I'll link a few photos for now.

IMG_1149_zps159e0a9b.jpg

IMG_1130_zps980f7225.jpg

IMG_1168_zps49abd2a9.jpg

IMG_1170_zps0a4d0e40.jpg

IMG_1172_zpsc80670d7.jpg

IMG_1156_zpsf9c570db.jpg

IMG_1181_zps7f13e52e.jpg

IMG_1193_zpsa8cd3aac.jpg

IMG_1196_zps4c02c166.jpg

IMG_1200_zpsf3cefbf4.jpg

IMG_1198_zps43aa786a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread