My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

Mapster429

Established Member
Any recommendations for adding seat heaters to 2017 GT350 seats?
So I did it to 14 Recaros into a 13GT w/401A and I added power and driver lumbar too. I can speak for that process but s550 may be different.

To dismantle the seats you need to get a upholstery kit from Amazon ($20). Disassembly is not difficult if yr handy but you will definitely want to collect good instructions on the forums first. I recommend not messing with the hog rings as they can be difficult to reinstall. Same with the bezels for the headrest holes. I didn't need to for my 13-14 Recaros but 17 may be different.

There are two paths - upgrading to OEM using all OEM harness, heaters and buttons -or- adding an aftermarket system which uses separate harness, heaters and buttons. Aftermarket systems run less than $100 and the better ones seem well made. I prefer the OEM look and my car came with heaters stock so I did it that way.

IDK if you got a GT350 or if yr adding those seats to some Mustang. If yr car came with heaters you obviously have the harness and switches for it so the swap is all about modding the seats.

If not, you need to find out if you share the same car side harness (as distinguished from the seat harnesses) with cars that have heaters.

If you share the same harness you need to collect switches, and doner seats and install. In s197's all of the relays are in the seat harnesses so if you get donors yr all set. The seat tracks are the same for stock and Recaro so it's mostly interchangeable. That said, I strongly advise you get seats from the same exact year as yr car as Ford loves to make little changes. My donors were from a 12 and while I could use the power tracks and heaters the harness were slightly different so I hat to buy 2 new Ford units (only $100 for both). Also be advised that on s197's if you swap seats you need to keep yr stock passenger seat occupancy sensor or you will get a dash light and pas airbags may not work.

Now if your car did not come with heaters stock and your car side harness is different than those that did - I would just go with an aftermarket system as I bet swapping harnesses will present many problems and may in the end be impracticable. I've seen aftermarket installs where the on/off switches are installed on the seat by the stock switches and it looks good (undetectable).

One last thing, if you install the heaters in warm weather testing them can be difficult as the heat is hard to feel and seems to take 2 mins or so to develop. In cold weather tho you can really feel them. Not sure why. Best

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine just came in...

183F61AA-FAA9-41D9-929C-AE1AF146BBEB.jpeg

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally got them installed. I ended up swapping over the airbags, seatbelt buckles, occupancy sensor and associated harnesses. Also swapped the GT500 electric seat base for the '13 manual drivers base. No repining, soldering or other half-assery. No lights, codes or such as the it's as the car was before, only with Recaros.

Thanks to all for the info and leading the way.

292BFEE6-59E1-4493-B319-0309D58B5E17.jpeg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ten years ago when I kicked this one off. Seems like fifty. I still have the original 2009 GT500 skinned seats undercover and on the Recaro pallet in the basement and the Gary Disney skins I had made in a box in a closet.

Mapster429

Established Member
Finally got them installed. I ended up swapping over the airbags, seatbelt buckles, occupancy sensor and associated harnesses. Also swapped the GT500 electric seat base for the '13 manual drivers base. No repining, soldering or other half-assery. No lights, codes or such as the it's as the car was before, only with Recaros.

View attachment 1786911
Looks great! You can swap a passenger power track for the pas Recaro if you want too. I hope you swapped over the power lumbar for the drivers as it pops right in. Happy it all worked out!

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Ten years ago when I kicked this one off. Seems like fifty. I still have the original 2009 GT500 skinned seats undercover and on the Recaro pallet in the basement and the Gary Disney skins I had made in a box in a closet.
I'm not quite sure what to do with the old seats. Putting them together with the newer components, doesn't make much sense. Put them together without, or part them out. I don't really have the storage space for them whatever I do. One of these days I may have as cool of a GT500 as yours was back in the day. I find myself replicating many of the mods you pioneered back them. Thanks

Looks great! You can swap a passenger power track for the pas Recaro if you want too. I hope you swapped over the power lumbar for the drivers as it pops right in. Happy it all worked out!
Thanks, '07 only had power drivers/manual passenger. And yes power lumbar migrated over also.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member

View attachment 1786911

Looks amazing. I bought some for my 2013 off a 2012. How was the occupant sensor swap?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Easy peasy, obviously have to disassemble the seat. The bladder is a direct swap, the sensor unit and mounting bracket were different, but was able to drill out the rivets that held them in place and swap them too. The holes are already there. The seat pans are identical other than the steel bolster supports.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
Easy peasy, obviously have to disassemble the seat. The bladder is a direct swap, the sensor unit and mounting bracket were different, but was able to drill out the rivets that held them in place and swap them too. The holes are already there. The seat pans are identical other than the steel bolster supports.

Gotcha. I was going to get the bladder from partsfarm, but seems finding the entire seat may be the better option to swap everything over.

Mapster429

Established Member
Gotcha. I was going to get the bladder from partsfarm, but seems finding the entire seat may be the better option to swap everything over.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobil
You need to use yr stock bladder from yr og seats not an used one as it has a chip with a code that needs to match with the sensor and the computer.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
You need to use yr stock bladder from yr og seats not an used one as it has a chip with a code that needs to match with the sensor and the computer.

Ah, man. Is that the only way to prevent the light? I was under the assumption it just had to be from the same year vehicle and correctly zeroed for the weight, as with a used bladder.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
This is why I opted to swap all the innards over from the '07 seats to the '13 Recaros. There are some vids out there showing repining or soldering wires to get it working. By swapping it all out, it's plug and play, the computer is still getting the same info as before. All the same equipment just in different seats.

Now to find some aftermarket all leather upholstery, as these have leather "seating areas" and vinyl sides, backs and bottoms. Kinda chintzy in my mind.

Mapster429

Established Member
Ah, man. Is that the only way to prevent the light? I was under the assumption it just had to be from the same year vehicle and correctly zeroed for the weight, as with a used bladder.

Yes in my experience. When I was doing research before I did mine I read some posts where they said it only had to be the same year seat. Based on that I went out and got a seat from a crashed same year gt. I even checked the part number tag on the seat and it was build same year and within 90 days from my seat. But after I installed it my light still came on. Also the Recaros I bought came out of a 14 and those made my light come on too. When I swapped in the bladder from my original seat there was no light - so I swapped that to my recaros and have not had dany light issues. I also read that the bladder, the occupancy sensor under the center console ( I forget the exact name) and the car ecu each has a serial number that has to match or the light goes on. I have also read that if you go to ford they can reset them all the same but I don't know if that's true. My advice is to get yr original seats or blader back. If that's impossible, try to speak to a Ford Service guy and ask if he can call their ford help line and get the solution but they may try to sell you a new bladder at come crazy price. If you get a $20 universal trim removal kit on amazon and watch a vid or two you can swap the part over in about 30 mins plus seat install time.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
Yes in my experience. When I was doing research before I did mine I read some posts where they said it only had to be the same year seat. Based on that I went out and got a seat from a crashed same year gt. I even checked the part number tag on the seat and it was build same year and within 90 days from my seat. But after I installed it my light still came on. Also the Recaros I bought came out of a 14 and those made my light come on too. When I swapped in the bladder from my original seat there was no light - so I swapped that to my recaros and have not had dany light issues. I also read that the bladder, the occupancy sensor under the center console ( I forget the exact name) and the car ecu each has a serial number that has to match or the light goes on. I have also read that if you go to ford they can reset them all the same but I don't know if that's true. My advice is to get yr original seats or blader back. If that's impossible, try to speak to a Ford Service guy and ask if he can call their ford help line and get the solution but they may try to sell you a new bladder at come crazy price. If you get a $20 universal trim removal kit on amazon and watch a vid or two you can swap the part over in about 30 mins plus seat install time.

You’re breaking my heart with this lmao

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
might look into Forscan and see if it's capable of making the needed changes to keep the light off, it's getting to be pretty damned capable

merkyworks

Established Member
Hoping someone in this thread might know the answer to this.

Will a bottom foam cushion from ’15+ GT/Bullet/FRPP Recaro seat be a direct replacement for a ‘12 GT500 OEM Recaro seat foam cushion? Obviously the frame, sensors, airbags and skin covers are all different. I’m just talking about the foam yellow cushion. Done a bunch of pic comparison and they look similar but just not sure.

My driver side ’12 GT500 Recaro seat bottom is worn out. Have GT500 takeoff replacement skin covers already but need new bottom foam. Ford wants $425 for a new bottom foam cushion which isn’t terrible but eBay has some ‘15+ Recaro bottom cushions for around $250.

example this is an ‘18 Bullet Recaro bottom cushion.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpeg
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2348.jpeg
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Mapster429

Established Member
Hoping someone in this thread might know the answer to this.

Will a bottom foam cushion from ’15+ GT/Bullet/FRPP Recaro seat be a direct replacement for a ‘12 GT500 OEM Recaro seat foam cushion? Obviously the frame, sensors, airbags and skin covers are all different. I’m just talking about the foam yellow cushion. Done a bunch of pic comparison and they look similar but just not sure.

My driver side ’12 GT500 Recaro seat bottom is worn out. Have GT500 takeoff replacement skin covers already but need new bottom foam. Ford wants $425 for a new bottom foam cushion which isn’t terrible but eBay has some ‘15+ Recaro bottom cushions for around $250.

example this is an ‘18 Bullet Recaro bottom cushion.
This is one of the few repairs that don't require new Ford parts to get a new result. Unless yr cash is burning a hole in yr pocket I'd repair yr existing Recaro foam. Upholstery shops repair foam with scrap pieces of foam, 3m flexible upholstery glue and an electric carving knife. I've seen it done and the results are as new once installed. I have to do it on my drivers Recaro pretty soon. If you don't feel capable of doing it yrself I'd take off the foam and look for a affordable auto upholstery shop to do the foam repair for you. See here.

merkyworks

Established Member
Repairing foam myself is one option. Leg side bolsters have a little pocket up in the seat foam so that would be a bit of a challenge I think.

Users who are viewing this thread