My GT350R Initial Impressions

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well, I have determined that the Magneride system is definitely temperature sensitive. I took it out this past weekend with the temps in the high 70s to low 80s, and the ride was MUCH more compliant. It was still stiff, but the bumps weren't bucking me up out of the seat. I'm sure the temperature sensitivity can be compensated for with tuning, but with the R being what it is, I'm sure Ford opted not to do so. Which I'm fine with since I will rarely be driving it in cold temps. If I have to go out in the cold and the Forester isn't available, I'll just take the GT500.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's two things. Your tires at different temps, and you. Not the mag dampers or modes.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I doubt tire temps mean much if the pressures are consistent, which they are. And I haven't driven it consistently enough to have become accustomed to that buckboard ride it had/has on cold days. Viscous fluids are temperature sensitive. It only makes sense that it would be thicker and less compliant in cold temps, which would lead to a harsher ride on cold days.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The dampening fluid viscosity is electronically measured and controlled by electricity for consistent performance, regardless of temp or load.

I not sure why your ride feels better, and I'm glad it does, but it's not because of a change in performance in the shocks.

It could be the tires are more pliable because it's warmer.. I know you mentioned the pressures is the same, but that only impacts load capacity, not the overall flexibility of the rubber. There is something call the glass threshold. At or near 32 degrees, summer time performance tires are extremely hard and brittle. They are prone to cracking and because they're so hard you have serious traction problems. The further away you get from the glass threshold the softer the rubber becomes the more pliable it becomes the more attraction improves and the softer the ride gets.

darcysheppard

Established Member
As a matter of fact, I am NOT complaining about any characteristic of the car. How some of you guys interpret observations as "complaints" is still a mystery to me. I'm simply giving my observations as uncolored as I can. Some folks might be weighing the purchase of an R against a standard GT350 (or any other sports car), and this might be important information to them.

Out of curiosity, Bouttime (and the others), what actual statements have I made are you considering complaints?

Thx for the review, its refreshing to know there are people out there that will give their opinion good or not so good!, it helps someone know what to expect when they get one. thx DS

Users who are viewing this thread