My heater hardly blows any air

Jorday

Established Member
The heater in my car is really noisy, but it hardly blows any air. It will divert the air the way it should when you switch between defroster, floor and vent, etc, but the air doesn't come out very hard even on number 4. Are they all like this or does it sound like I have a problem? I found out my warranty expired yesterday, so Im going to have to pay if I want them to look at it.

BlackSabbath

Established Member
Jorday said:
The heater in my car is really noisy, but it hardly blows any air. It will divert the air the way it should when you switch between defroster, floor and vent, etc, but the air doesn't come out very hard even on number 4. Are they all like this or does it sound like I have a problem? I found out my warranty expired yesterday, so Im going to have to pay if I want them to look at it.

I don't drive mine in the winter but it got very hot in the fall with the temp setting on hot and the fan on the lowest setting. Mine doesn't make any loud noise when operating either. That sucks about the warranty expiring yesterday.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Before you invest time in pulling it apart yourself, try this.

You're only a day or two out of warrantee, so call your dealer and tell them that you can called a couple of months ago about your heater because you were concerned about the air flow. But it didn't sound at the time like it was a definite issue. Then say the air flow has gotten worse and you'd like them to look at it. Best case scenario is that they will take care of it for you since you're so close to the warrantee expiration date. Or they'll look at it at no charge, tell you what is wrong, and that the cost will be 'X' to fix it. You can then say YES or NO. If they try to charge you for the estimate, tell them that you didn't think the warrantee had expired. Again, you're so close to the actual date that you might luck out. Just a thought.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
My thought is that if it is blowing hard out of the front vents, then it may be a problem when it switches to route the air to the different floor or windshield vents.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I've seen plenums get full of leaves, etc. and plug things up. But, regardless, if it's making noise, the fan & blower need to be pulled. You can then inspect for foreign material and damage to the fan. You can also test the fan on the bench. A new fan isn't that expensive if you have to pay for it.

Jorday

Established Member
i was looking at it last night and the air is not being diverted like i thought. if i select vent hardly any air will move even on high.

Jorday

Established Member
Yeah, it makes a bunch of noise. When you change the air flow mode, the air movement is fair on heater, poor on defroster, and almost none if you select vent or a/c. On vent, I don't know where the air is going, it's not coming out of anywhere.

Jorday

Established Member
Well, I took the car to the dealer and I'm just going to pay them to fix it. I don't feel like spending my time screwing with this.

Jorday

Established Member
Well, here's the actual scoop. I talked with Ford customer service. I asked that since the warranty expired Sunday, would they cover the repairs since the problems were obviously present before the warranty expired. They said they would not.

They suggested that I take the car to the dealer, and pay the dealer to diagnose the problems. Then Ford would make a decison on each of the problems whether or not to cover the cost of repairs to my car after the dealer looks at it. If not, I will be responsible for payment. I figured it was at least worth a try. I'm guessing they are going to just say no we can't cover the cost of those repairs that's why I posted that I was just going to be paying for it. They already charged me 285 bucks to diagnose the problems with the car and to check the alignment... :(

The cool thing was that they had a Ford GT in stock and I got to check it out while I was there. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Jorday

Established Member
It's really thier choice? They tried to make it sound to me as if it was out of thier hands since the factory warranty was up. They said call ford there's nothing we can do to help you.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
yes the dealer can do up to 2 awa- after warrenty adjustments and pay the claim and your off the hook .... all this means is they can but they dont have too ...it also helps if you go there for regular service work and other things besides werrenty claims

Jorday

Established Member
Well, it sounds like they aren't willing to help me out at all with the warranty thing. They said the heater plenum appears to be clogged with pieces of broken glass. The need to remove the dashboard and instrument cluster to inspect for sure and possibly replace the the plenum. They want $700 just for the labor and I would also have to pay for any parts needed.

Jorday

Established Member
I have no idea how it got in there. I am the third owner of the car and the guy I bought it from doesn't know how it got in there, either. I told them to go ahead and fix it. The car is going to have about 6 or 7 other problems fixed while it is there. It's costing me close to $2000 total to fix all the problems with the car.

Users who are viewing this thread