My interesting coil over install

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I hate it when you buy parts, get all excited to install them and then they don't work/fit.

I was really hoping I had the answer for you. Shop around and you should be able to find springs on the cheap. If you use a spring compressor you should be able to swap the springs without pulling the brakes off.

What kind of spring rates can those struts handle anyway?

EXACTLY!! I was stoked to get them in Monday morning, but its turned into more of a project that I had planned. Now I'm just sore and grumpy. lol

Your answer helped actually. The passenger side was still touching until today, now I have room. :beer:

The adjustment tools should be here early next week. I'll move the perch up and use that for the next 4 months while I'm in school. Hopefully the tires will last that long :bash:

Bruce and David are correct with a shorter spring being my saving grace. Gonna pick up a 12" when I can.

As far as what the struts can handle, I honestly have no idea. I'm gonna call Eibach tomorrow and see what they say....I'm praying for 400lbs. I'm planning on running a 400Front /650 Rear combo. I have literally called them every weekday for a week. HAHA! I'm surprised they don't know me by name. The 200lb springs are perfect with the rear springs, but I can totally tell the difference between how the front handles and the rear does. I'm hoping that I don't have to send them in to get re-valved, but if I do, I kept the stock suspension just in case.

I have an entire semester to obsess over it, so we'll see what I come up with :rolling:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Alot of that handling that your feeling right now is due to the amount of camber that your running. I'm running -1.7 degrees and my tires don't stick in like that.. You're probably running in the high 2's if I had to guess lol!!

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Alot of that handling that your feeling right now is due to the amount of camber that your running. I'm running -1.7 degrees and my tires don't stick in like that.. You're probably running in the high 2's if I had to guess lol!!

Lol, you are correct on my camber. The handling aspect that i love is actually in a straight line. The car is not so jarring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelhopper

Established Member
Just getting caught up on this thread, so hopefully I don't repeat anything previously stated.

I had a similiar issue when I first installed coil overs on my Terminator. I had to loosen and adjust the spindle to where I had about 3/8" room between the tire and coil over set up. I also had to make some adjustments with a grinder to the shock tower. In the end everything worked well. As far as adjusting the spring height, you do not need the tool for it. You should jack the car up and take the weight off and you should be able to move it by hand. You really should corner balance the car though. You will be surprised by how much better the car will handle if it is adjusted correctly.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
So i keep hearing that i need to corner balance the car. I kind of understand it but is everyone just shifting the weight, adding weight, ect. Sounds like i need to get on a scale soon

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
So i keep hearing that i need to corner balance the car. I kind of understand it but is everyone just shifting the weight, adding weight, ect. Sounds like i need to get on a scale soon

Actually you need to get it on FOUR scales!!! :poke:

Do the best you can with only front soil-overs.

racebronco2

Established Member
If you just set the ride height the same with you in the car it'll be close enough. You really don't need to corner weight the car unless you want to get the most out of your car on track. It all changes anyways when you add a passenger, have a 1/4 tank compared to a full tank and anytime you add or take away weight.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Actually you need to get it on FOUR scales!!! :poke:

Do the best you can with only front soil-overs.
Lol, fair enough

If you just set the ride height the same with you in the car it'll be close enough. You really don't need to corner weight the car unless you want to get the most out of your car on track. It all changes anyways when you add a passenger, have a 1/4 tank compared to a full tank and anytime you add or take away weight.

I was wondering about that. Car will be changing quite a bit this year. Shooting for a a FTBR kit and rear coil overs by end of 2013

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Information on my springs.

10" length, 3" inner diameter

Dampeners max out around 300lbs, so that's what I'll run. 300/475 combo (MM suggestion)

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
Can't you also slot the lower strut mounting holes and move them inboard a touch? I've seen guys do that and as far as I know get away with it. Never had to try it myself.

I have this same issue with my coilovers on the front and am probably going to try this idea at some point. for now though I am actually about to pick up some enkei rp01's with a lightly lower offset to fix the issue. 3mm's should make just enough of a difference to make it ok for now!

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Update:

Well, got the tools in today and raised the car up. I could have just used a dowel :nonono::bash:

evuzyten.jpg

Anyway, i have room!! Thank goodness!!!

Much better.

Before:
eze7y7y5.jpg

Just barely off the wheel

And now
ate3yjus.jpg

ymegytyt.jpg

qyrazavu.jpg

Sits perfect!!!

Back