My JMS Chip iTSX tune

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I got my iTSX and JMS tune in today. Im going to talk about the iTSX first.

The iTSX was pretty easy to use. I did end up having to call SCT to ask a couple questions about getting the custom tune file on the iPad and how it all worked. Getting the tune is really easy all you have to do is open the email with the custom file in it. once the iPad Dls it you touch the file again and then it asks you to open the file with iTSX. From that point on its follow the prompts and it does the rest. pretty simple.

The tune feels really good all the way from bottom to the 7300rpm rev limit. SOTP it feels strong. its not rip your arms out power but the car wants to pull to redline. Im waiting on my buddy to get over here with his X3 so I can datalog the tune. Thats the only thing im not happy about with the iTSX is the lack of the ability to datalog at this point. SCT did tell me that they will be releasing an update which will allow full datalogging here in the next couple weeks. Ill try the performance tests out for shits and grins to see how those work.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
I was able to datalog the tune today. not really sure what i was looking at lol. I did notice that when I took the car up to 7200 (rev limit at 7300) in third that right at 7000 and beyond the car fell on its face so ill be shifting before that point next time im at the track. I sent the file off to monty at JMS to check it out. this data logging stuff is pretty cool. I noticed one of the PIDs (i think it was AFR bank 1 and 2) never moved and it said .82 is that the commanded AFR? lambbase (iirc) was right at .81 through the pull.

twistedneck

Established Member
mine falls on its face at 7100 - just stops pulling hard. i think its mostly intake issues since i dont have a boss.

my commanded lambda in a bama race tune is 0.85 and then tapers down as the engine rpms get high in order to save the cats from overheating. i've seen 0.82 on my steeda tune, 0.88 even on an early steeda tune.. that number really controls the seat of pants HP from my experience. leaner = faster.

however, with the steeda tune AND the early bama tunes before they worked on my car with SIX different tune / log sessions (love the support form Ryan at AM) i still had knock. then Ryan dialed something else back, now i have zero knock and its still real fast. i asked him if i could tick the 0.85 commanded back up he said NOPE!

so, did you check your knock sensor?

is it pulling timing?

are you getting the full 27.5 or 28 deg. spark advance at wot? mine was pulling back to 26.5 from the knocks - btw, those are knocks that do not ping at all.. just vibrations. up to level 5 (5 degrees timing removed) at lower rpm wot.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
im going to re log the car again, i didnt log knocks because i remember seeing that you cant log knock and some other parameters at the same time because it wont work? did they fix that in the livewire update?

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
I did some more datalogging today. I flashed the car back to stock reset the KAM and logged did idle, part throttle and WOT 4th. on the WOT 4th run the car saw some knock (im assuming because it said -.5) and it was -.5 at 2900rpm and it went to -3.574@5300rpm with 17.00 on the spark advance . it was -1.8@ 6836rpm 28.00 spark advance.

I then loaded the max power JMS tune and then datalogged idle, part and WOT.

on the WOT run it was -.25@2300 and -6.0@3867 with the spark advance at 21. the knock sensor dropped all the way to -2.5 at the end of the run @6726 (ran out of road) and the spark advance was 27.00.

so what are thoughts and inputs? i sent the logs off to Monty and also Shaun @ AED since im planning on getting his tune as well.

twistedneck

Established Member
I did some more datalogging today. I flashed the car back to stock reset the KAM and logged did idle, part throttle and WOT 4th. on the WOT 4th run the car saw some knock (im assuming because it said -.5) and it was -.5 at 2900rpm and it went to -3.574@5300rpm with 17.00 on the spark advance . it was -1.8@ 6836rpm 28.00 spark advance.

I then loaded the max power JMS tune and then datalogged idle, part and WOT.

on the WOT run it was -.25@2300 and -6.0@3867 with the spark advance at 21. the knock sensor dropped all the way to -2.5 at the end of the run @6726 (ran out of road) and the spark advance was 27.00.

so what are thoughts and inputs? i sent the logs off to Monty and also Shaun @ AED since im planning on getting his tune as well.

good idea checking it at stock tune. i never did... for my first steeda tune and first bama tune the knock was maxing out at -6 i think thats max.. but you can see from your timing that you are pulling it out and therefore losing hp. after many iterations with bama i'm now seeing full 28.5 timing, 0.85 lambda, and zero knock sensor reporting. 6 is a lot of timing to pull.. sure its not pinging so there is just some minor knock vibration noise from all the advanced cam timimg ( i think its cam, since the tuners dont touch spark or knock on these motors).. you want to get the full ignition timing of 28.5 i think.. never saw higher.

good thing you checked it, even if it is safe pulling out -6 (since you dont hear pinging) its still costing you power. i ran lean 0.89 lambda and heavy knock of 6 for at least 1500miles with many full power runs, scoped the pistons and its still perfect even at number 8.. no smoke, plug is perfect.

i'd get that knock at least tuned down to 1.

thoughts any of the actual tuners here??

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
good idea checking it at stock tune. i never did... for my first steeda tune and first bama tune the knock was maxing out at -6 i think thats max.. but you can see from your timing that you are pulling it out and therefore losing hp. after many iterations with bama i'm now seeing full 28.5 timing, 0.85 lambda, and zero knock sensor reporting. 6 is a lot of timing to pull.. sure its not pinging so there is just some minor knock vibration noise from all the advanced cam timimg ( i think its cam, since the tuners dont touch spark or knock on these motors).. you want to get the full ignition timing of 28.5 i think.. never saw higher.

good thing you checked it, even if it is safe pulling out -6 (since you dont hear pinging) its still costing you power. i ran lean 0.89 lambda and heavy knock of 6 for at least 1500miles with many full power runs, scoped the pistons and its still perfect even at number 8.. no smoke, plug is perfect.

i'd get that knock at least tuned down to 1.

thoughts any of the actual tuners here??
I have been emailing Shaun at AED pretty much all day and we have been discussing some of what may be causing the knock. I pulled all the plugs and took pics and sent them to him all this on a saturday!! Im sorry but that is some serious customer service and I haven't even purchased a tune yet (oh yea thats coming though!!!!) couple of them were black on the threads mostly looked good. I think we are leaning towards bad gas at this point because i ran the car to E and then put a half tank of 91 in and thats what i datalogged on.

SicShelby09

Banned
I have been emailing Shaun at AED pretty much all day and we have been discussing some of what may be causing the knock. I pulled all the plugs and took pics and sent them to him all this on a saturday!! Im sorry but that is some serious customer service and I haven't even purchased a tune yet (oh yea thats coming though!!!!) couple of them were black on the threads mostly looked good. I think we are leaning towards bad gas at this point because i ran the car to E and then put a half tank of 91 in and thats what i datalogged on.

Yeah Shaun's customer service is #1. No doubt.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I am also talking to Shaun. I think after I get the car out to the track with the good tires and the Pro-Cal, it will be the end of the road for the Pro-Cal. I just want to see what it can do, then try Shaun. I like the tune, tired of chasing the ping.

Mike

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Shaun told me the JMS tune looks good and that the knocks are most likely caused by bad gas after all. seems like i need to start getting gas else where.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
to all the gas gurus out there what gas stations would be best to get quality non ethanol gas. how do you ensure you are getting good gas?

conoco
valero
phillips 66
sinclair
shell (i was told stay away from shell)

these are stations that a close or near where i work or live.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
to all the gas gurus out there what gas stations would be best to get quality non ethanol gas. how do you ensure you are getting good gas?

conoco
valero
phillips 66
sinclair
shell (i was told stay away from shell)

these are stations that a close or near where i work or live.

My local Conoco station has big signs that advertise no ethanol in their gas. As far as I know, this is the only Conoco station around, and the only one with such a sign. Yours may be different. This is where I am filling up. I am also adding a can of Lucas octane boost when I fill. I know most octane boost is considered snake oil, and I feel the same way, but I read many reviews of the Lucas before I tried it. With the Conoco 93 and the Lucas, my ping is cured with the Pro-Cal tune. So, you may want to check it out. $10 a bottle is worth the piece of mind to me.

Mike

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
the conoco i was going to is fairly close to my house, ill prob start making the trip there from now on. hopefully that will eliminate the bad gas issue.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Turns out it was bad gas, i was getting a audible knock under load and thought it may have been that stretchy belt issue. come to find out it was ping. filled up with some Conoco 91 and took the car out after a KAM reset and low and behold from what i see the car wasnt pulling any timing, and the knock went away! I sent Shaun and Monty the logs so I should know something today or tomorrow about how they look. the car even feels like its running better.

Edit: after re looking at the logs myself the car is still pulling timing...

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
I tried the performance testing option on the iTSX yesterday after i was done datalogging. according to their test my car ran a 0-60 in 3.5 (i loled because i spun 2nd pretty hard) ran a [email protected] and according to the "horsepower calculator" my car makes 1264 hp and 1100ftlbs. ( id say the horsepower calculator is a little off)

so needless to say the performance tests are not really worth a damn. I digress i didnt really think they would be.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I tried the performance testing option on the iTSX yesterday after i was done datalogging. according to their test my car ran a 0-60 in 3.5 (i loled because i spun 2nd pretty hard) ran a [email protected] and according to the "horsepower calculator" my car makes 1264 hp and 1100ftlbs. ( id say the horsepower calculator is a little off)

so needless to say the performance tests are not really worth a damn. I digress i didnt really think they would be.

The ipod or ipad needs to be anchored to a fixed location in your car to get accurate results.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
The ipod or ipad needs to be anchored to a fixed location in your car to get accurate results.

my buddy was holding it in his lap the whole run, that shouldve been good enough. unless i was wrong when i input the weight of the car @ 3900 with him and i in it.

Users who are viewing this thread