my last whipple question thread

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
okay- i know my questions are getting old but im getting all my ducks in a row in preparation for my whipple upgrade.
1. can i run a 3.0 upper and 4# lower 17lbs on pump gas? i think i can.
2. if so, how much power?
3. i already have 60lb injectors, 4lb lower, mass air meter, so all i need is a modified fdpm and fuel pumps?
4. gt or focus pumps?
5. have you heard of a boost bypass kit? is this neccasary.
- I think thats all folks...

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
okay- i know my questions are getting old but im getting all my ducks in a row in preparation for my whipple upgrade.
1. can i run a 3.0 upper and 4# lower 17lbs on pump gas? i think i can.
2. if so, how much power?
3. i already have 60lb injectors, 4lb lower, mass air meter, so all i need is a modified fdpm and fuel pumps?
4. gt or focus pumps?
5. have you heard of a boost bypass kit? is this neccasary.
- I think thats all folks...

1. Yes, 17 PSI on pump gas is fine.
2. You will roughly see high 500's, depends greatly on the tune.
3. Grab the Ford GT Fuel Pumps and get the FPDM, either Stage 1 or 2.
4. GT all the way. No point in spending more money for the lesser pump.
5. Not necessary.

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at the shop.

Matt

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
3.0 pulley on a whipple will be 17 lbs by itself . . . adding a 4 lb lower would add 4 lbs to that . . .

3.0 and 4 lb lower may be 17 on the heaton . . . not on a whipple tho, 3.5 pulley with a 4 lb lower is 17 on a whipple

17 lbs is fine for 93 octane . . .

any more than that, and you will need more octane usually

Last edited:

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
3.0 pulley on a whipple will be 17 lbs by itself . . . adding a 4 lb lower would add 4 lbs to that . . .

3.0 and 4 lb lower may be 17 on the heaton . . . not on a whipple tho, 3.5 pulley with a 4 lb lower is 17 on a whipple

He is correct. For some reason I thought I saw 3.5" Pulley on the Whipple. Just use the stock pulley on the whipple and add the 4# lower.

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
which combo should make the better power/torque? wouldnt a stock upper and 4lb lower produce more torque,less power compared to 3.5 upper and 4lb lower?
what is considered to be the best 17lb combo for a whipple?

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member

He is correct. For some reason I thought I saw 3.5" Pulley on the Whipple. Just use the stock pulley on the whipple and add the 4# lower.
As well, you may want to consider the 1.5 to 2#s increased boost if you go with a gen ll whipple..
Personally i'm going with a stock pulley (3.5) & a 2# lower on a gen ll and i'm expecting 17# of boost.

MikeW

Established Member
I have a 3.0" upper and 4# lower and see 21# boost.

If not more........

will the 3.5 upper rub against my hood lining?

No

I have two whipple 03's and one is at 17lbs (3.00 upper only). If you run 23 degrees of timing at 17lbs you will need 98 octane to be safe IMHO. Reason beaing is tht you will see 18-19lbs with the 3.00.

The other 03 has a 2.75 upper and it hits 21lbs of boost. I need 104 octane when it has 23 degree timing tune in it.

Dont go by what boost you "should" see with the Whipple. Go by a boost gauge and set your timing and octan from there.

Since you have the 4lb lower I'd stick with it and the stock whipple upper (3.5). Go from there and if you want more boost down the road get a 6lb lower ring or change the upper.

What Maf do you have? My 21lb car is almost pegging the BA2400 now I may have to add a mafia or upgrade to a ba2800. Teh 17lb car the Ba2400 is fine.

Do you have the PPRV out of the tank yet? If not it will most likely have to come out or you will get the hesitation.

At 17lbs I'd say a BAP/stock pumps/ and stock FPDM are enough. My 17lb car is fine and I still have room on the pumps (FPDC @ 80).

The pumps are pegged in the 21lb car with a BAP/ Wiring upgrades/ PPRV delete, and stock FPDM. If I upgrae the fuel system i am going with dual stock FPDM's GT pumps and 2 BAPS if needed. Also larger fuel line from front to rear. For right no though I am going back tdown to 17lbs on the 2.75 pullied car.

Take your time and datalog the fool out of your can as you go along.

Power wise 17lbs should get you 580RWHP or so

Good luck :beer:

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
my combo will be: stock whipple upper, 4lb lower. k&n intake. lfp heat exchanger and super coolant tank. modified fdpm, gt pumps. 60lbinjectors. already have most of that on the car.
MY GOAL: 580 hp and at least 530 torque. Is that possible?
after that all that could be left would be mid length headers and 3.73s if i get bored.

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
thanks for alll the good luck wishes. i will keep you guys posted on my progress. 1 good thing is i can sell my steggy and accufab pieces for a good amount of $. I also cant wait to post up some pics of my car for you guys. nobodys seen it on here.

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
dang it sounds like it would be smarter for me to buy a used gen 1. save me some money and then i can make 17lb for sure w a 3.5 upper and keep my 4lb lower. what a pain in the ass. I JUST WANT OVER 550 HP AND TORQUE ON PUMP GAS!!!!!!!

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
Either one will give you that . . . gen II is good for a little more hp and still runs on 93 oct :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread