My Mishimoto Radiator Install

mishimoto

Established Member
I apologize for the delay about getting back to you guys

MalcomV8- I'm going to talk to the engineer behind this project about the fan issue and see if he has already corrected this or not with the new design

SVT Troy-thanks for the offer! We've got three different cars trying out the new models currently or else we would have been looking for R&D rides

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Mishimoto,

You guys should kick out a bolt out fan with more CFM than the stocker with an easy install. :rockon:

mishimoto

Established Member
03 DSG Snake-I'll have to check if we have one to come out with the new radiator. If we don't have one though, it may take time to make one because we are swamped with projects currently.

Malcom V8-I talked with the engineer who is heading up the project and he sees no reason why fan fitment issues should occur with the new model.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just ordered some mounting brackets from the link in this thread.
Bought a new in the box Mishimoto from an individual on SVTP, would not fit with large centri blower, but it will sure fit mine!:dancenana::banana::pepper:

Looking forward to no more drip drip drip of my LFP.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
MalcomV8- I'm going to talk to the engineer behind this project about the fan issue and see if he has already corrected this or not with the new design

Malcom V8-I talked with the engineer who is heading up the project and he sees no reason why fan fitment issues should occur with the new model.

That's great to hear. BTW is this Patrick? Just wanted to say your customer service has been excellent. Right from my first email to you guys when I reported the fan fitment issue the responses I've received are top notch. Once you get these little kinks sorted out your radiator will be an awesome bolt in for these cars without to many mods.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Are these showing lower temps than the OEM piece or are people just using this when the OEM radiator fails?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Are these showing lower temps than the OEM piece or are people just using this when the OEM radiator fails?

My minimal usage shows same temps. More seat time would be needed to say otherwise. My factory radiator worked just fine. I only replaced it because it started to leak and the Mishimoto was a good price vs OEM and other aftermarket units.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

First things first.
Put the Reische 170 stat in there and reprogram your fan kick points.

Thicker rads have the potential to reject more heat but with the stock air flow and body work they actually flow less air since there is more resistance to air flow with a thicker rad.

Just a few small air flow enhancements can make a difference and start to take advantage of that bigger rad.

The cheapest, easiest, and least noticeable one is the deeper wider lower air dam mod.
Next would be better boxing in.
And the best hard core cooling air flow mod would be the Tiger Racing louvered hood.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
First things first.
Put the Reische 170 stat in there and reprogram your fan kick points.

Thicker rads have the potential to reject more heat but with the stock air flow and body work they actually flow less air since there is more resistance to air flow with a thicker rad.

Just a few small air flow enhancements can make a difference and start to take advantage of that bigger rad.

The cheapest, easiest, and least noticeable one is the deeper wider lower air dam mod.
Next would be better boxing in.
And the best hard core cooling air flow mod would be the Tiger Racing louvered hood.

Did the 170F t-stat mod and fans years ago. You bring up an interesting point on the radiator been so thick and hard for air to casually flow through. I noticed my fan kicks on a lot more on slow driving. I figured it was because air is not flowing through as easily as the stocker and it needed the fan to pull it though and then I thought nah I must be going crazy but you just said the exact same thing.

Can you explain the lower deeper wider air dam mod? Not familiar with it. I won't be changing the hood so don't worry about that one lol. I'd put a stock radiator back in before having to change the hood.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Did the 170F t-stat mod and fans years ago. You bring up an interesting point on the radiator been so thick and hard for air to casually flow through. I noticed my fan kicks on a lot more on slow driving. I figured it was because air is not flowing through as easily as the stocker and it needed the fan to pull it though and then I thought nah I must be going crazy but you just said the exact same thing.

Can you explain the lower deeper wider air dam mod? Not familiar with it. I won't be changing the hood so don't worry about that one lol. I'd put a stock radiator back in before having to change the hood.

Great thread and there is pic of my lower wider air dam here on page 2.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/open-track-racing-203/332482-boxing-radiator-2.html

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
So my AC has been kicking off in high temp weather of 100+ degrees. It only kicks off in stop in go traffic and it only happens at idle. Once underway again with air hitting the condenser the AC works perfectly. I have traced it to the 3/4" gap between the radiator fan shroud and the radiator not sucking air thru the radiator and over the condenser like it should. This leads to tripping the high pressure switch as pressure builds in the hot condenser. Thus kicking off the compressor.

So I ordered some of this. You can find it at McMaster-Carr and they sell it by the foot. I ordered 8 feet. I wanted a little extra in case I made a mistake.
fai1360_1

McMaster-Carr item# 1120A132

The weatherstrip fit perfectly and was easy to cut with tin snips. Here are the pics:

Before
IMAG1618.jpg

After
IMAG1630.jpg

Weatherstripping
IMAG1619.jpg

Installed. I did not run the weatherstripping at the top. If you look at the original install photos you can see the top of the shroud actually fits snug against the top radiator support bar.
IMAG1621.jpg

IMAG1626.jpg

IMAG1627.jpg

A view from inside the fan area
IMAG1629.jpg

Glad you put this up. Digging around my car today I noticed the same thing on my Fluidyne. Will be ordering up the weather stripping you used.

The fan is just a few bolts on the side with the tanks out of the way correct?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The fan is just a few bolts on the side with the tanks out of the way correct?

Just did it a couple weeks ago myself. Both tanks had to come out the way and there was one 8mm bolt on each side of the fan. I also had to remove the battery and battery tray to get the clearance to lift it up and out.

mishimoto

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr- good deal on the radiator! Nothing beats new parts at lower prices

MalcomV8- this isn't Patrick, it's Jacob, for some reason my sig doesn't show up. Thanks for taking the time to contact us though, it helps when customers give us any kind of feedback. Also thanks for the kind words.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Thanks to earico I fixed my rad fan in a similar fashion this evening:

rad1.jpg

I have the same air gap with the Fluidyne radiator.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Sidebar: What is the hole above the Mish badge along the top rail? Is that simply for water to drain out of the 'rail'?

IMAG0567.jpg

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I think since you have some time and knowledge on your hands you should find a better replacement for OEM that fits. Twin SPAL maybe? :rockon:

LOL! Unfortunately my work has had me slammed for the past 6 weeks. One man companies are hard work. I've had a blower laying here 6 months that Ironhand created and I haven't put it on yet!

Honestly I'm about to sell the car :nonono: to move on to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread