My new 5.4 Aluminum engine is up & running

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
First I would like to thank Jim(JDM) and his crew for putting it together and getting it delivered to PSI before Christmas......And Pat from PSI for staying up all night to put it in my Lightning and for getting me down the road.

For those who are getting one of these, it is such a nice sight to see when it arrives.......Something about that certain shade of gray(aluminum) that just grabs you...ha ha ha Anyway They have done a very nice job on this engine, and I like the new style oil pan( hope to have pictures later). The install went rather smooth....well the watching part was easy.....Pat was doing all the work. Now the motor I pulled out was a JDM long block, and it was tough as nails. We got some quick numbers just so we could compare later and the were 593/667 14lbs of boost on 93 octane, so my old engine was no slouch. I was very excited to be one of the first to recieve this new engine, but was not sure what to expect. Well let me tell you from the first turn of the key that bad boy jumped up and showed me it was king.......the sound of the new cam design.......WOW is all I can say. This motor is smoother than my old one........it is hard to explain without being there in person, but if I had to use one word to describe it, it would be CRISP. I just got back from it's first run 230 miles later( I drove it from Houston to Waco) .....I was hungry for wings ha ha ha ha . I drove at different speeds, but it cruises so nice between 70 and 80 Mph......My old engine was never this smooth. I am going to finish the break in and be back to Houston on Friday to put this bad boy on the Dyno(PSI) and get it setup for a JDM street tune. I will let you guys know how it turns out. I know I did not cover alot, but ask and I will try to answer

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
That's great Michael! Can't wait to see what numbers and times you will put down.
I really need to get back out to PSI to have my programs tweeked. ;-)

Last edited:

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
We were just talking about you last night......hurry down to the shop when you get a chance. I can hardley wait to get it on the Dyno........but just trying to drive it normal, the sit of the pants tells me it is way stronger....Wait till Jim gets a tune in that bad boy.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
Is this a custom block? Like lets say the dart 302, or the Dove aluminum 427? Meaning is it a repro of an L block in aluminum? Would it fit the L heads and lower intake?

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
This is the new aluminum 5.4 engine produced by JDM. There was a current write up on the F150 board. It is basically the same engine as yours with a higher compression ratio and a new improved heads and cam combination. It also has oil squirters for the pistons.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Awesome Mike. I new you had to be holdin out on us. Congrats man. I'm hopefully not to far behind you. Be around 6 months but that motor is what I got my eyes on. Good luck with it.

Chad

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
chillfactor said:
This is the new aluminum 5.4 engine produced by JDM. There was a current write up on the F150 board. It is basically the same engine as yours with a higher compression ratio and a new improved heads and cam combination. It also has oil squirters for the pistons.

Going to Fry's tomorrow, I might stop into PSI and see what's going on. Do you know if daniel's truck is still there? He told me about your engine swap the other day... should run bad ass.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Pat from PSI took some pictures I just got to load them up........Stop by on Friday I will be back from the break in run and than it is time for some Dyno tuning. Man I love the way this beast sounds.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Well you sound like a luckt guy... Lets get some pics and some videos here please!!!

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Congrats on the new motor. Was it a 2V or 4V? I'm sure it did cost a lot of money being that the initial projected cost of the aluminum long block was around 12K. Good luck on the numbers. Merry Christmas to you!

Users who are viewing this thread