My new track whore! 1989 AI Foxbody

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Ever since I sold my 98 Cobra Faleen to make "important moves" in life, I've been craving to get back on the race track. After accomplishing what I needed to do with my family earlier this year, my wife gave me the thumbs up to get back in the game. I initially wanted to start open tracking a Miata because of all the good things I've heard about them (cheap and fun!), but the low hp/tq just didn't cut it for me:shrug:. After buying and selling 2 miatas and making a little extra cash off each deal, I was able to finally work my way up to afford what I've always wanted...a race legal American Iron racecar!

I started off having two solid leads on AI Mustangs (this one and an SN95), but the SN95 deal fell through due to the owner no longer wanting to sell. In order to get back out on track by the beginning of the 2014 season, I made the decision to buy this car! I'm actually glad I did because I spent less money and it actually has what I need/want!

So here it is in all its glory. Its an 1989 Mustang LX, built and raced in NASA American Iron Southeast, but has recently been used to race in the SCCA American V8 Supercar series for the SF Region (last owned by Cortex Racing - Darrell Anderson).

Quick rundown of the setup: full Maximum Motorsports suspension, built 306 motor(305rwhp/322rwtq), gutted/caged (2900 lbs), Brembo brakes, Konig Villain wheels, etc...

The car is LOUD and runs hard. Haven't really "tested" it out yet, but hopefully I'll be out at the first trackday offered in 2014 to see what it can do!

The car needs some debadging of all the stickers, a little cleaning up, and some fresh lubrication but other than that it should be a fun toy ready to rock:burnout:

_DSC5863_zpsb44c47af.jpg

_DSC5857_zps97293314.jpg

_DSC5855_zpsd61b78ec.jpg

_DSC5897_zpsf6450e4b.jpg

_DSC5866_zps623e7d97.jpg

_DSC5891_zpsec0236b9.jpg

_DSC5881_zps8c8e48c3.jpg

_DSC5880_zps6f77baae.jpg

_DSC5877_zpse9630f88.jpg

_DSC5869_zps77295cc5.jpg

_DSC5893_zps5a7c8397.jpg

And my future racer :beer:

IMG_20131221_164515_209_zpscbc635c3.jpg

stroked mach

Established Member
I would love to do the track thing but I never have time when a open track day comes around what would a car like that run you ?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Thanks guys! I'm stoked to get this thing on the track and see what it can do! I don't plan to race AI anytime in the near future (no time or money) but I'd love to go for it later down the line. I wanted to get an AI-spec car because I know what they consist of and I can gauge my progression of skill by comparing my times to theirs. It was just one of those things I've always wanted.

As for price, AI cars can range from $8000-20,000 depending on build quality, mods, race history, etc

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
That's not the point I was trying to make. You've got a good starter AI ish race car, you'll find that it's down on power compared to what's winning races in AI now. 5-6 years ago you'd have a competitive car, AI now days is heavier cars more hp wins races. Tire and consumable life is a small consideration.

Watch those wheels they went out of production because they crack and fail.

racebronco2

Established Member
Great looking car, glad you found one you were happy with. Now go out and get some video, love to watch them.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
That's not the point I was trying to make. You've got a good starter AI ish race car, you'll find that it's down on power compared to what's winning races in AI now. 5-6 years ago you'd have a competitive car, AI now days is heavier cars more hp wins races. Tire and consumable life is a small consideration.

Watch those wheels they went out of production because they crack and fail.

I understand what you're saying. Although down on power compared to current competitive AI cars, I dont plan to race anyway, so it doesnt really matter to me at this point. If I do end up racing AI or any other class, I will definitely reevaluate this car and determine whether i would want to build it up to par with current winners or sell it and buy an already built competitive car. After experiencing what it takes to build a quality track car, I'd rather buy one already done (or close to done) than build one myself.

Either way, thanks for the feedback:beer:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Great looking car, glad you found one you were happy with. Now go out and get some video, love to watch them.

Thanks! I'm happy with it, though the SN95 would have been nicer to the eyes (in my opinion) :lol1: I'll be posting videos once I get this thing out on track.:beer:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase!!!! Looks like a fun car......

Thanks! It sucks that Kerry backed out of the deal. I told him I'd pay what he wanted but I guess he still hasn't completely decided that he wants to get rid of the car:cryying:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I understand what you're saying. Although down on power compared to current competitive AI cars, I dont plan to race anyway, so it doesnt really matter to me at this point. If I do end up racing AI or any other class, I will definitely reevaluate this car and determine whether i would want to build it up to par with current winners or sell it and buy an already built competitive car. After experiencing what it takes to build a quality track car, I'd rather buy one already done (or close to done) than build one myself.

Either way, thanks for the feedback:beer:

You're welcome. It's a great feeling knowing you're gonna be back out on track isn't it? :beer: I hung my helmet up for a few years and it sucked.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Nice car! That will be a very fun track day piece. What trans and rear gear is in it? I'm excited to hear your impressions.

Any details on the suspension setup? Swaybars, spring rates, etc.

Is that a kirkey series 47 seat? How do you like it?

Last edited:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
You're welcome. It's a great feeling knowing you're gonna be back out on track isn't it? :beer: I hung my helmet up for a few years and it sucked.

You dont even know how excited I am to finally get back on the track! It's been one full season so hopefully I'm not too rusty.

nice pick up man. car looks good

Thanks! Its not the fanciest out there but I think it will serve its purpose quite well.

Awesome! You're giving me ideas :)

What ideas? Share with us:beer:

Nice car! That will be a very fun track day piece. What trans and rear gear is in it? I'm excited to hear your impressions.

Any details on the suspension setup? Swaybars, spring rates, etc.

Is that a kirkey series 47 seat? How do you like it?

Thanks! The suspension consist of the full MM catalog pretty much. The only thing it does not have is a rear swaybar (not sure why). Front is the MM bar offered for the 79-93 mustangs. I need to determine which rear bar, if any, I am going to run with. It has MM race valved Bilsteins with 400# front and 250# rear springs.

The seat is a Kirkey, and looks to be a series 47 seat but I have not confirmed. It is a nice seat, though I think I like the Ultra Shield seat better that I had in my 98 cobra. The side bolsters are not as high as the Ultra Shield but the cushioning is better onthis Kirkey.

Cool car bro.

Thanks!

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Thanks! The suspension consist of the full MM catalog pretty much. The only thing it does not have is a rear swaybar (not sure why). Front is the MM bar offered for the 79-93 mustangs. I need to determine which rear bar, if any, I am going to run with. It has MM race valved Bilsteins with 400# front and 250# rear springs.

The seat is a Kirkey, and looks to be a series 47 seat but I have not confirmed. It is a nice seat, though I think I like the Ultra Shield seat better that I had in my 98 cobra. The side bolsters are not as high as the Ultra Shield but the cushioning is better onthis Kirkey.

Thanks!

My friend has the full MM catalog on his SN95 as well that is why I asked. He has the MM rear sway bar, and 425# front springs up front. His rear is 250# like yours with custom valved Bilsteins front and rear.

He has a 306 in it now with similar power to yours. We have been trying to get the car to turn a little better on the tighter tracks. I think he needs to go a bit stiffer, but we are still messing around with ride height, swaybar settings and tire pressures.

He has a forged 347 going in the car and a built T5Z with .85 5th gear.

Sirl

Established Member
Congrats!!!
Similar to me, I have no desire to go W2W, but just being out there with those guys would be a Shit load of fun!!!

If that car fills your "Need for Speed" then thats all that matters!!

Good luck, enjoy, and be safe!!!

Pics and Vids ASAP!!

Users who are viewing this thread