My new track whore! 1989 AI Foxbody

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Congrats man!! I'm glad to see that you're back in a car!! I'm going to be out this coming season so if you see me hit me up :)

wheelhopper

Established Member
I wouldn't mess with a rear bar until you get on track. The car may be balanced the way it is. If you get some noticeable understeer you can revisit the bar idea.

I like the car. I wish I had bought one ready to go. I have built mine on a budget, with a car I already had, and I bet I have $6K into it not including the car. I still feel like I got off cheap when guys like Darren spend that much on shocks and springs.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Congrats!!!
Similar to me, I have no desire to go W2W, but just being out there with those guys would be a Shit load of fun!!!

If that car fills your "Need for Speed" then thats all that matters!!

Good luck, enjoy, and be safe!!!

Pics and Vids ASAP!!

I would love to race w2w but the lack of time and money is preventing me. Maybe once my kids get older. But for now, this car should feed my craving for speed on track days!

Congrats man!! I'm glad to see that you're back in a car!! I'm going to be out this coming season so if you see me hit me up :)

Thanks bro! Let me know when and who you'll be running with and I'll try to hook up at the track. I'd like to check out your ride!

I wouldn't mess with a rear bar until you get on track. The car may be balanced the way it is. If you get some noticeable understeer you can revisit the bar idea.

I like the car. I wish I had bought one ready to go. I have built mine on a budget, with a car I already had, and I bet I have $6K into it not including the car. I still feel like I got off cheap when guys like Darren spend that much on shocks and springs.

True, I probably won't touch anything on the car's setup until I actually try it out first. I'm hoping its balance as it sits so I don't have to spend anymore money on it.

Trust me, I learned my lesson building a track car. Fortunately I was able to sell my Faleen for a decent price and got this one for a steal. I can't imagine having to start from scratch again.

My friend has the full MM catalog on his SN95 as well that is why I asked. He has the MM rear sway bar, and 425# front springs up front. His rear is 250# like yours with custom valved Bilsteins front and rear.

He has a 306 in it now with similar power to yours. We have been trying to get the car to turn a little better on the tighter tracks. I think he needs to go a bit stiffer, but we are still messing around with ride height, swaybar settings and tire pressures.

He has a forged 347 going in the car and a built T5Z with .85 5th gear.

Sounds like your friends setup is very similar to mine - suspension and power plant. That 347 will be a lot faster than the 306 that's for sure!

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Sounds like your friends setup is very similar to mine - suspension and power plant. That 347 will be a lot faster than the 306 that's for sure!

Yea it's very close. He has the Cobra R Brembos as well. The car handles very well on the faster tracks like Big Willow, but he gets passed on the straights with the 306. Plus I just got my car going and it has a lot more power so he needs to keep up :burnout:

We recently went to Streets of Willow and the car was not as well balanced on a tighter track. We stiffened up the rear bar and it helped, but some more adjustments need to be made.

The weight is similar to your car, with 275 NT01s. It sounds like both cars are close to the "standard" MM setup.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Bad ass. Congrats!

I'm surprised it doesn't have any CorteX gear on it. Car looks solid.

I'm thinking I'll be stuck with gently beating on my current in HPDE or TT (will be uncompetitive) for at least the beginning of '14...although a slim chance exists that I can pick up a sorted 98 CMC.

Can't wait to hear your updates

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Yea it's very close. He has the Cobra R Brembos as well. The car handles very well on the faster tracks like Big Willow, but he gets passed on the straights with the 306. Plus I just got my car going and it has a lot more power so he needs to keep up :burnout:

We recently went to Streets of Willow and the car was not as well balanced on a tighter track. We stiffened up the rear bar and it helped, but some more adjustments need to be made.

The weight is similar to your car, with 275 NT01s. It sounds like both cars are close to the "standard" MM setup.

My 98 cobra with similar setup (aside from race valved shocks/struts and different spring rates) handled quite nicely on the track. I'm hoping this car will do as well, if not better, with the slight advantage of weight and stiffer springs.

Bad ass. Congrats!

I'm surprised it doesn't have any CorteX gear on it. Car looks solid.

I'm thinking I'll be stuck with gently beating on my current in HPDE or TT (will be uncompetitive) for at least the beginning of '14...although a slim chance exists that I can pick up a sorted 98 CMC.

Can't wait to hear your updates

Yea, unfortunately no cortex parts on the car. they bought it as it sits here as a backup race car. They no longer needed it so I boguht it:banana:

KILRSVT

Established Member
Congrats bro can't wait to meet up with you at sears or thunder hill I am thinking that will have to be trailered. Good luck ian glad your back into a car I know the feeling

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Thanks Fiddel. It definitely feels good to have a track car again. Yes, this needs to be trailered. Do you still have yours?

Sirl

Established Member
Just saw it too... back for sale on Nasa.
Kinda why, even when I think I want to sell my car, I dont.
I'm afraid I'll regret it later.

Last edited:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
It's really a "feeler" ad. As stated, I do plan to run the car for as long as I have it. These race cars don't sell very quickly so I figured I'd throw it out there and see what happens. In the mean time, I will run it and you will hear feedback from me as to how it performs. Who knows, it may knock me off my feet and I may end up keeping it and improve it as I continue to drive it!

The thing about it is that I have very limited time to hit the track. I actually intended to find a nice classic mustang that I can drive the family around in on nice days, but this car came up and I couldn't resist. It was one of those impulsive purchases that I had second thoughts about after I finally got it home and into the garage.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
No Ian unfortunately I dont have it , I sold it last year. Are you going to sears next month with NASA ?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
So does anyone know where I can find the replacement steel brake lines for the Brembo "R" calipers.. I need a set for a 99 Cobra.
thanks in advance.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
WOW..... trying to make a buck or two on the resale, huh???

Nope, not trying to make anything. It's no longer listed as I knocked some sense into myself and decided to run it as time permits:banana: though I do still want your buddy's sn95:poke: tell him to trade me:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread