My Nightmare with Steeda--Super Long Story!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by jonas
The only suspension stuff I get now has griggs or maximum motorsports on the box. When a company like griggs suggests maximum motorsport cc plates over their own you know they are so hardcore they want the best for you even if it isnt theirs.

That is the safest way to go. :beer:

musclesBMF

Established Member
Simple case of "Should've gone to Unlimited Performance instead." I know I made that comment on an earlier thread before some people even went to Steeda.

Redwing

Established Member
I'm in business for myself in a customer driven industry (I sell /design/install custom decks and fences for people at their homes, and occaisionally I get real assholes. I can tell you, a disgruntled customer will get a LOT further with me by using a bit of honey rather than salt. Killer, I don't know you, I certainly don't want to come down on you, and I wasn't a participant in your dealings with Steeda, but you may want to review your own behaviour in this issue.
Two years ago, I was visiting Florida and while there I went to Steeda to buy a style bar and some other stuff. They were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, especially since I told them I was from Canada, and the experience made me wish that I lived right next door.

Since then I have discovered DaSilva Racing here in Toronto, and they are fantastic!!
Steve

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Redwing
They were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, especially since I told them I was from Canada, and the experience made me wish that I lived right next door.

You want to know the funny thing that most on this forum don't realize. Killer Cobra had the same opinion about them. I told him to stay away and about how they acted and are, but he was all caught up in the its Steeda thing. He went there a couple times and thought they were the best company ever. I believe he had even posted how great they were. They gave him a tour of the place and were all buddy buddy with him until he had a problem. Then they told him to go f*ck himself basically. That is why he is piss'd and now he is recognizing what is going on there. I hope somebody will realize what is going on and save yourself the aggravation he is going through by listening to what he is saying.

If they screwed up my installs and charged me the amount they charged him I would be piss’d also. They charged him $150 to install a TB which should take a max of 20-minutes to install and didn’t even set the TPS or idle set screw which I would expect from any basic tech. He paid $600 for a list of things he had installed which I could and have done in less then 4 hours in my driveway. I don’t have a problem with charging that type of money for installs if the customer agrees to it, but would expect at least it to be done in both a professionally and correct manner.

You want to know something Steeda is the worse company I have dealt with as a customer. I have posted well over 2,000 posts on this forum and the only company I have posted negatively about is Steeda. That should say something.

hockeypuck_74

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Some shops won't believe that a customer knows what he's talking about. I had the same problem with Circuit City over my alarm install.

There's a shock. Keep in mind that until 1999 Circuit City thought their DivX format was going to torpedo DVD.

Of course, now Disney is trying their own little flavor. Weasels.

Redwing

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Y
You want to know something Steeda is the worse company I have dealt with as a customer. .

I've only had the one experience with them. Certainly if they treated me badly, I would go elsewhere.
This is the point I don't understand. In my business, I generally sell a cusomer a deck only once. Possibly a second time, if they move. But I still treat them properly because I might get a referal, and because it's the right way to do business. With Steeda, they must rely on repeat custoemrs. A Mustang owner may not have several hundred or thousand dollars all at once, but can modify his car bit by bit. Why would a nationally known company like this have a business plan that intentionally alienates its customers? That intentionally sends repeat customers to its competitors becuase of an unpleasnat purchasing experience? If they did this on a regular basis, they wouldn't last very long. I
If the owners don't know what their salespeople do, then why not? If one of my workers pisses off a customer about something, I'll certainly hear about it, one way or another.

steve

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I've sent the exact email I sent to Eric to the owner of Steeda. This is the same email that prompted Eric in Steeda's words they will be severing my relationship with them. I'll keep you all posted. Listen, I'm not expecting people not to deal with Steeda.90% just buying parts will never have an issue with them. I believe this is more of a personal matter between Eric and I. He felt he went out of his was prior to the incident. And he probably did! But then he hung me dry with the throttle body issue. I was left to figure out for myself with the help of Doug at Bulletflow the right settings for the TPS. Did I ask steeda for my money back? NO, Did I say they scratched my shifter, YES. Hopefully today I will get a reply from the owner. If he wasn't aware of what's going on there, he does now. If he puts something on paper that they wont except money from me for their parts then I will be satisfied that their company is CRAP and it's not just the salesman running the show. I'm finding it hard to believe like most of you that an email that stated Steeda's Tech configured the TPS incorrectly and Eric backed up the tech when he had no clue the tech didn't even set the TPS right would sever a customers relationship. That's why I'm now writing to the owner. Maybe he isn't aware of what's really going on. We shall see.

TractionCircle

Ok, I think it's time to get the other side of the story. I'm Jason, one of the people that referred Steve to Eric in the first place, so I have been privy to this whole escapade as it unfolded. There is a lot of misinformation about this so I wanted to give the other side of the story.

I referred Steve to Eric cause Eric would give him a good deal on pricing and would take care of him. Steve would call Eric around 5-10 times a day just to ask questions, plan mods, etc.. Eric took EVERY ONE of those calls, not making a dime. He always answered his questions and made sure he was treating him like a friend. Anytime he would give Steve a price (albeit well below retail, Steve would complain "is that the best you can do"). After all of these calls, Steve goes in one Saturday to buy some parts, and Eric wasn't working then, so he bought from someone else. Now any of you that work in a commission based business would know, that isn't a very nice thing to do. Fine, Eric blew it off.

Steve then comes in to buy a shift knob. Eric takes one out of the case or whatever and Steve said "this is scratched, get me another one". Now, for those of you that haven't met Steve, he quite frequently comes off as rude, demanding, arrogant, and condescending. This was one of those times. Eric went to the back, sifted through like 10 boxes until he found one that was perfect. One more example of how he was trying to do right by Steve only to be met with a sh*tty attitude.

They installed a bunch of parts. Exhaust, pulley, and the throttle body. Now, Steeda doesn't sell this Billetflow TB as you prolly all know, but they installed it anyway, as any shop would do. Tech got done with the car, Eric test drove it and saw that the idle was funky and brought it back to the tech, knowing that Steve was rather picky and he wanted it to be right. Tech said he had been messing with that thing for a long time, trying to get it right and that was as close as he could get it. When Steve showed up to pick up his car, first thing Eric told him was that the Throttle Body was causing a funky idle. Steve said it was ok and all was well......(more to follow)

Jay

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
It's always good to get both sides of the story. I think a lot has to do with attitude, and definantly not flaming anyone here but when Killer first started on the boards he came across exactly as you describe. Now that we know him better we know he's a pretty good guy but I can definantly see a retailer reach the point of "I don't give a shit about you." Probably goes for most of us since we ARE a very picky bunch.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by TractionCircle
. Steve would call Eric around 5-10 times a day just to ask questions, plan mods, etc..

Jay

Do you think I would call 5 times a day? This should show people this is total BS. I might have spoke to Eric 4 times over the last month PERIOD.

About the shifter. Yes the first one he brought out had a scratch and I should Eric. Eric was on the phone with another customer so I told Eric don't worry about it but he said "No, I want to get one without a scratch for you"

Yes I took the car after the TB install becasue the idle was at 1100 then would drop to 800 after 2 seconds but later that night it went up to 1800 and would not drop until you tapped the gas.

Jay, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Your entire post is BS! Who's at lose here? ME! I lost $$ on the TB install I had to do myself! They scratched the shifter, and now there are gaps that where not there before. What does Eric loose? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! This is just hard to beleive!! You should get the real facts Jay.

TractionCircle

The next morning, Steve called him up with his usual demanding demeanor saying "the idle is messed up, youneed to fix it" He was being exceptionally rude and after the piss poor attitude he had shown Eric in the past, it was wearing thin. Steve demanded that they call Billetflow to straighten this all out, however Eric told him that they tried everything they could, which, to Eric's knowledge was true. Steve then started to attack. He brought up that they scratched his shift knob, yet neither Eric or the tech wear jewelry of any kind. He attacked that they wiped his car with a dirty rag and that they need to clean it. Now granted, if these were brought up in a different way, it may have gone different, but instead he was attacking and just generally an a$$hole. Eric basically told him that there was nothing he could do. So they ended the phone call and Steve decided to send an email to Eric that was so vicious and attacking, attack ONLY Eric. He threatened in this email that "I didn't send this to your boss, but I could"

Now for those at home, let's keep score here: Tech told Eric he did all he could, Eric forwarded the message. Supposedly Steve fixed it in 20 mins at home, so the tech obviously missed something. How is that Eric's fault? How does it warrant such a nasty email?

Eric responded to that email with what I considered to be professionalism and restraint, answering all of Steve's complaints. Steve responded back with more attacks and Eric, under the advice from his sales manager, decided it would be best for those concerned not to respond as this would escalate quickly. Steve emailed a few more times. Many of which were apologetic, saying "I know I can be an a$$hole when I'm upset, but can we put this behind us". (Why would you be sorry if you didn't do anything wrong?)

After many more emails and one threatening email where Steve attacked him again, Eric sent the email Steve quited above, where they felt it would be in their best interest if they terminated their dealings. That is when Steve started to attack with his latest email where he says he is going to contact his boss, and how they bent his frame.

What's even funnier than that, is that despite the apparent hatred Steve has for Eric/Steeda, he still sent them many emails asking for them to do work on his car!

I have followed Steve's previous postings when he first got his car (cause i was in his corner about him getting the 03 Cobra) and I saw what everyone else did. A negative and poor attitude. One that would flare to temper when anyone would tell him something he didn't want to hear. One that eventually got him banned. One that led Eric to not want to deal with him anymore. And now one that everyone is ignoring to get on the anti Steeda bandwagon. Steve has shown himself to be a hothead, and knowing him in person, I know all of this to be true. I fully believe he is capable of this, and has shown this in previous posts.

You can hate Steeda all you want. Call them what you will. But I don't want to see Eric's name dragged through the mud because you only chose to tell half the story. Things could have gone much differently if you had only known how to talk to people.

Now I know Steve will come back and try to argue the details of this post, and that's fine. I wasn't there for all of this, but I did watch it unfold. And the underlying theme is that Steve's poor attitude is what broke this deal, even after Eric went out of his way to help.

Take that as you want it.....

Jay

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
As has been said before "there's always two sides to every story"
Thanks for the additional info Jay.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Yep. 2 side. and It went down just has Jay said.
It's all my fault and I'm the one at lose not Steeda.
Oh well, another lessoned learned.

I'm done here. I sent the proper letters out.

I might not have been professional about the whole thing but I'm not the huge well know company. I'm just guy trying to get his car done right and tired of being throw around. I just spent the last hour IM'ing Jay. And I agree I'm very aggressive and can be a hothead. But when provoked and mistreated I blow up and do what I fell needs to be done. This was all about customer service. When you get treated like crap maybe most will just let it go but I can't. I fight for what I believe in and I believe I was given the shaft. I'm not going to post anymore about this. I have my Cobra and very happy with it. I will get the gap fixed and enjoy driving it.
I will finish this up with Steeda. I just wanted people to know my side of the story. Now you have both and can believe what you want. That's what it's all about.

Last edited:

Pyro

Established Member
Jay's explanation of the "other" side of the story is all good and dandy but does it explain all the other reports of rude and arrogant behavior from Steeda sales people? I'm sorry but Killercobra (Steve) may not be the model customer but as professional sales people, they (Steeda) need to be able to deal with it in a professional mannor and meet his needs since they took his money. There is no excuse for not exhausting all resources before telling a customer to screw off. Apparently, they were doing something wrong or didn't know everything if billetflow knew what was wrong and eventually6 provided the right setting.

Sorry but no Steeda for me knowing that they would hang me out to dry if I said something wrong out of frustration. With so many vendors and suppliers out there, I can do without Steeda. I know I shouldn't judge without personally experiencing it myself but we're talking about our hard earned money and a fairly large amount at that. Like others have said, there are way too many other options out there to take a risk with a company like Steeda.

Last edited:

TractionCircle

Pyro,

I agree, perhaps everything could have been handled differently. I was just responding to the personal attack on Eric himself, that's all. I've read these forums enough to see the good and the bad :)

Jay

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
When you bring your own parts you can't expect the installer to do any more then they did.If you can't install the parts yourself and use a vendors part,then you should expect them to stand behind the parts they sell and install.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
When you bring your own parts you can't expect the installer to do any more then they did.If you can't install the parts yourself and use a vendors part,then you should expect them to stand behind the parts they sell and install.

Doug at billetflow went out of his way to help me, called me at night, and even called steeda's tech. That's what I call customer service.! That's going above and beyond! With Doug's help my Cobra is running perfect.! Thanks Doug!

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
Doug at billetflow went out of his way to help me, called me at night, and even called steeda's tech. That's what I call customer service.! That's going above and beyond! With Doug's help my Cobra is running perfect.! Thanks Doug!

Doug's Customer Service is outstanding.You should of installed the TB yourself.Steeda sells the Accufab TB.
Apparantly you already wore out your welcome with the Tech at Steeda and he didn't want to talk to Doug or go any further with you at that point.
Good that you got things finally sorted out.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Doug's Customer Service is outstanding.You should of installed the TB yourself.Steeda sells the Accufab TB.
Apparantly you already wore out your welcome with the Tech at Steeda and he didn't want to talk to Doug or go any further with you at that point.
Good that you got things finally sorted out.

I never tried to talk to the Tech, Doug did and found out how he set the TPS. I never had anything to do with the tech at this time. Where are you getting your information from?

Pyro

Established Member
Apparantly you already wore out your welcome with the Tech at Steeda and he didn't want to talk to Doug or go any further with you at that point. B]

IMO, that's where the problem is. When you accept payment, it is your obligation to see it through until the customer is happy THEN you can tell the customer to go away. If Steeda made it clear that installation of a third party's part will receive limited attention then there would be no gripe but that wasn't the case.

Users who are viewing this thread