My Paint looks DULL!

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
My black paint is looking duller and duller everyday. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should use to try and get the shine back. Sometimes I don't even want to waste my time waxing it, because it will look dull the next day. Have you guys tried Zaino, I here that stuff is really good. Help.:bash:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
ok try and find some liquid glass. most of the time it is found at a paint store or such. did it on my 92 and 94 and wow. it is a polish so after you need a good wax to help seal it. good luck:beer:

hobbstc

Established Member
YES!! I felt the same way about my black 97 until a month ago. I broke down and ordered the Zaino starter show kit for $100. Kinda pricey, but the results are magnificent!! First, I used the claybar, then wash with the z7, then first coat of z5 scratch and swirl remover, then z6 glass enhancer, then z5 again, the z6, then z2 finishing polish and finally one last coat of z6 and it looked brand new. I have so many people who can't believe how old my car is still shining like it does. The z6 runs out quick, so use it sparingly. Now, on top of that, I have aother coat of z5 and two more z2s and its just awesome!

SNK BITN

Established Member
Miguel, I can help you with your situation, I'm a detail junkie. PM me, I can come to your place or you can come to mine and we'll take care of that dull paint job of yours.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by hobbstc
YES!! I felt the same way about my black 97 until a month ago. I broke down and ordered the Zaino starter show kit for $100. Kinda pricey, but the results are magnificent!! First, I used the claybar, then wash with the z7, then first coat of z5 scratch and swirl remover, then z6 glass enhancer, then z5 again, the z6, then z2 finishing polish and finally one last coat of z6 and it looked brand new. I have so many people who can't believe how old my car is still shining like it does. The z6 runs out quick, so use it sparingly. Now, on top of that, I have aother coat of z5 and two more z2s and its just awesome!

Brand new huh. $100 for the whole kit. That might be worth it. How many times would I be able to use it over and over. I was thinking, I my get my car detailed. My paint looks like it has been directly under the sun for a long time. You should post some pictures. Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming, I need all the help I can get.

hobbstc

Established Member
Well, new except for the rock chips in the nose:) I have a ton of wax left, just the quick detail spray gets addicting and runs out quick. I've put three coats of each z5 and z2 and still have over 3/4 lft in the bottles. I can claybar, wash and do the whole 3 coat process in about 4 hours now. I would post pics, but I don't have a digital camera (yet).

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by SNK BITN
Miguel, I can help you with your situation, I'm a detail junkie. PM me, I can come to your place or you can come to mine and we'll take care of that dull paint job of yours.

What do you use?

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Zaino it man...get the whole thing...don't have to get the clay bar(I use the Mother's), but use their wash and waxes. Get the Accelerator for the waxes as well. You'll be happy with the results.

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
If you want to try something less expensive first. Try McGuire's paint cleaner. I just wipe on, let it dry and wipe off. You can really tell the difference if you do half the hood and compare sides. I was sold.

DAN MCGRAW

I have tried both Liquid Glass and Zaino. I was a diehard LG user untill I used Zaino. Zaino blows it away.

SNK BITN

Established Member
You dont need Zaino, and I'll prove it to you. I use off the shelf stuff. Meguiars, 3M and mothers will get you the shine you desire. Hit me up if your interested. Or if your still hard up to use Zaino, I use that on my dads ride. I could ask if he wants to share some, but be prepared to spend an entire freakin day to apply that expensive crap. Thats just applying it, not getting to the rest of the car!!!

gunsfan1

Banned
Originally posted by SNK BITN
You dont need Zaino, and I'll prove it to you. I use off the shelf stuff. Meguiars, 3M and mothers will get you the shine you desire. Hit me up if your interested. Or if your still hard up to use Zaino, I use that on my dads ride. I could ask if he wants to share some, but be prepared to spend an entire freakin day to apply that expensive crap. Thats just applying it, not getting to the rest of the car!!!

I agree wtih SNK BITN. With Meguiar's you can achieve remarkable results. I like Meguiar's because its readily available in stores, is compatible with other products from Mother's, 3M, etc, and once you get a good routine down you can move up to their Mirror Glaze/Professional line which will really blow you away. I did get sucked in and tried Zaino, and with all the work involved what with layering and such, I didn't find the results that much better than Meguiar's. It also left a plastic like look to my black paint--there was no "depth". After recently using Meg's #26, I was floored (it was preceded by Meg's #7 show car glaze). A second coat done a day after really made that black pop like I had never seen before.

Getting back to compatibility, you can use Meg's #7 as a polish or if you prefer use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze--both can be topped with #26 for dramatic results. Just my .02, but I have been at this for several years now and have found what works very well for me.

STANGBUM

Love that Boost
Established Member
I guess bottom line is what you like on your car:shrug:
But tests have proved that Zaino outlast all other waxes on the market, and has the deepest shine.
And as for taking all day to put Zaino on I don't think so:rollseyes
It takes me about 1 to 2 hrs to put one layer on. And unlike other products I can put another layer on that same day, up to 3 layers a day. You can't do that with the other, it will just smear and you will just be moving it around instead of putting on another coat :eek:

You get what you pay for click here to read about just one test done ,and you decide.

Also click here to read a major test done against 46 different products:beer:

Like I said its up to you but I have won over 70 trophies from local shows to MCA Grand Nationals to SVT national shows, and I credit Zaino for a great presentation on my car.:)

I also detail cars on the weekend and have tried most brands, And for myself I just like Zaino.:coolman:

Last edited:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
I am going to try the least expensive stuff first. If I am not happy with the results, i will try Zaino. It seems that people have mixed reviews about it. Thanks for the replies guys.

SNK BITN, if I can't get it looking good myself. I might take u up on that offer and drive to Elgin. :)

Last edited:

gunsfan1

Banned
Originally posted by STANGBUM
I guess bottom line is what you like on your car:shrug:
But tests have proved that Zaino outlast all other waxes on the market, and has the deepest shine.

Yes, Zaino will last longer because its a polymer, not a wax. But Zaino needs layer after layer after layer to become that effective (still not better than Meg's in my opinion). I'd rather spend that time driving...

It was also my understanding that you needed to wait 6-8 hours to let one coat of the Zaino completely cure before adding another?

SNK BITN

Established Member
Originally posted by STANGBUM
It takes me about 1 to 2 hrs to put one layer on. And unlike other products I can put another layer on that same day, up to 3 layers a day. You can't do that with the other, it will just smear and you will just be moving it around instead of putting on another coat :eek

Not on the first initial coats there buddy. washing with dish soap, clay bar, and all the layer dont take just one hour does it? I USE the stuff, it takes me a day when I go through all the steps. If you won first place with a 1-2 hour zaino job, you must have entered a 2 car show
nutkick.gif

SNK BITN

Established Member
Originally posted by URDONE
I am going to try the least expensive stuff first. If I am not happy with the results, i will try Zaino. It seems that people have mixed reviews about it. Thanks for the replies guys.

SNK BITN, if I can't get it looking good myself. I might take u up on that offer and drive to Elgin. :)

I can go to where your at, I've got a cobra too bro. We can go for a spin :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread