My Paxton Install Experience

Jukens

Established Member
Well I finally have my Paxton supercharger kit installed and finished besides getting my vortech pump booster to work correctly. Here's my story:

Early June I get the go ahead from the wife. I'm currently stationed in Ft Gordon, Georgia but they have a great shop that I can do the install at so I make the call for the order to Terry from beefcake racing. Great help over the phone and helping me get everything I need. He up sales me the ID1000 injectors and the vortech programmable pump booster along with the email Jon Lund tune. About 2 weeks pass and I receive all the parts from vortech, but I am still waiting on a base tune file for the install. After contacting Terry a couple times about it I finally get the base file from Jon Lund Tuning.

Now the install. I got a buddy of mine to give me and hand and we had all weekend in the shop with all the tools needed. Started Saturday morning and went 6 hours that day. The guide supplied from paxton was in black and white. Highly recommend getting the colored PDF from them as it will make the install much easier. We ran into a couple of hitches mainly because of the guide. When I installed the new coolant res the guide said the a/c line had to be moved 2-3 inches for clearance. Of course I got to almost 2 inches and it busted the line. No big deal as I didn't have enough support on the bend of the pipe so it cracked open there. So I get a new line and was able to install it without bending it as there was plenty of clearance. So I'd recommend checking before risking it, but that was mostly my fault. Also my bracket with the pulleys was preassembled incorrectly, one of the pulleys was in the wrong position. Be sure to verify yours before mounting it. Rest of the install was pretty easy and straight forward until I got to the fan. This is where the colored manual can help as there are no measurements in the guide, just "cut to look like the picture" guide. We probably spent almost 2 hours on the fan alone cutting, installing, removing, and doing more cutting for the fitment. It gets super tight with all the I/C piping and installing the fan. I checked and rechecked all the modified coolant lines and I/C piping and refilled the coolant res. I plugged the battery back up and went to install the base tune. Fired right up and idled pretty good. Let it heat up and idle for a bit to check for leaks and everything looked good. It took about 10 hours for the total install. I installed the vortech boost a pump the next day and my problems started.

Now the tuning. I logged onto Jon Lunds site and got in contact with Ken Bjonnes and he told me everything he needed from data logs. Here's where the fun starts. Now I am getting hard starts like its not getting any fuel before cranking over. Not knowing what it is I tell Ken along with the data logs. He proceeds to dial in my tune for wot. Feels pretty good up top now but I notice random idle surging and really bad light/part throttle hesitation and bucking. Ken try's to tune out the startup issues but it doesn't work. He then tries to tune out the part throttle issues and it doesn't work. We both agree to try to get the drivability tuned and then look at the startup issues. Long story short, I spent 3 weeks data logging, over 200$ in gas, and over 15 tune revisions later I get no further than the few days after we started and he had the wot dialed in. The last morning I had contact with him I removed the BAP and the cars startup issues ended. I played with it for a bit and now know my car acts "funny" when it's installed and refuses to do an initial prime. I tell Ken this and that I just need to drivability worked out and I would diagnose the BAP issue. Then I got tired of waiting and gave up with Ken as it seemed my parts, install, or car was to blame. I spent countless hours checking and reinstalling my work as he had me thinking it was something on my end. So I contacted another tuner and had the car dialed in, in less than 2 days and only 5 tunes later. Perfect drivability. Idles, cruises, and WOTs better than my intake/ bama tune did. I am loving it now. Major props to the other tuner as he worked with me Saturday and Sunday to get my car where it should've been weeks ago. Took it to the track and ran an 11.7 120mph with my 285 Nitto Invos at 45 psi. No dyno numbers yet. WOT AFR is 11.8 max and that's with about 9 psi at 7k rpm using the JLT intake and not the vortech BAP.

Now that vortech BAP. Been almost 3 weeks trying to figure out the priming issues. Vortech had no idea what it could be so they replaced the BAP. Still didn't help. I've wired and rewired it, checked all voltage readings, tried all recommendations and still can't get it to prime while installed. Once started everything works with the BAP installed, but the car won't prime.

All said and done I would definitely do things differently next time around purchasing, installing, and tuning wise. Learned quite a bit during the install and tuning process.

Jukens

Established Member
A few pics.
a6937996-d132-2765.jpg

a6937996-d14f-5a09.jpg

a6937996-d160-193a.jpg

Jukens

Established Member
Ya I didn't lower it because I already bent both rear axles before the supercharger due to wheelhop. 1.9 60ft time slip pic above

stang8psi

Established Member
you could always ditch the vortech pump and try the JMS! also I was considering the kit from beefcake but I may just do the tuner kit and do some 60's I feel as where my car is going to be and my goal the 1000's are overkill! also the mph seems kinda low?? N/A cars are trapping that MPH! Was the DA super High? Also who did you resort to for the tuning after the lund/KBjones fiasco?

DTL

Established Member
Interesting to hear about the priming problems with the Vortech BAP. That's the second thread I've seen on this forum about that same issue. Starting to look more and more like the problem is on Vortech's end. Hopefully they'll step up with a solution!!

Jukens

Established Member
Ya hence the reason I said Terry up sold me lol. I didn't need 1000$ injectors either but it's said and done. I trapped 125 on another run but was 12 sec et. Traction was killing me only do so much with street tires. Couldn't go full throttle until 3rd and was spinning on most shifts. I went with AED.

Last edited:

RFM50

Established Member
I'm interested to hear what tuner you went with as well. I had problems with Ken myself as well and got hammered pretty hard by people on here for sharing my experience. I gave up on him a lot earlier then you though. I contacted bbr as soon as I got my money back and they had me a quality tune with in 2 hours. I have had the tune updated since then from them for free, when I purchased my vortech universal boost a pump. I have had the tune checked out on the dyno and data logged and checked by the tuner that owns the dyno and it's spot on and running real hard in Arizona heat with no detination. My experience with BBR has been a much better experience than with ken.

Last edited:

Jukens

Established Member
Ya I haven't asked for a refund for the tune yet. Shaun at AED set me up.

Last edited:

RFM50

Established Member
How did you get Shawn to do an email tune? He told me he doesn't like to do Paxton tunes through email. I wonder if he has changed his mind since then?

Jukens

Established Member
How did you get Shawn to do an email tune? He told me he doesn't like to do Paxton tunes through email. I wonder if he has changed his mind since then?

Idk was less than 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

RFM50

Established Member
I still think you need to try the vortech universal bap or one similar. I have been kinda of sceptical of the programmable style.

Last edited:

Jukens

Established Member
I still think you need to try the vortech universal bap or one similar. I have been kinda of sceptical of the programmable style.

Steve from bbr suggested the same thing but vortech says no and terry is saying it won't help either when I asked for a swap.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I was seriously considering a Paxton kit until I saw how much cutting was required on the front nose piece in order to install it. I'm not interested in hacking up my car like that.

Jukens

Established Member
I was seriously considering a Paxton kit until I saw how much cutting was required on the front nose piece in order to install it. I'm not interested in hacking up my car like that.

You do a lot of cutting but it still looks great. I'll upload a pic tomorrow.

RFM50

Established Member
Steve from bbr suggested the same thing but vortech says no and terry is saying it won't help either when I asked for a swap.

Can you return the programmable bap and get your money back? I would make up your own mind by trying other things. Your tests with taking the bap out, to me proves there is a problem with that style pump on your car.

Jukens

Established Member
Can you return the programmable bap and get your money back? I would make up your own mind by trying other things. Your tests with taking the bap out, to me proves there is a problem with that style pump on your car.

When I asked for a swap his response was there's something wrong with my car/ setup

Users who are viewing this thread