My *Personal review* of TUNES

mixxer

Established Member
Good point WBT! Like i tell everyone, if you are going to get open heart surgery do you want the doctor with the best bed side manor and has done 30 operations like yours or the one who knows the most about what he is doing and has done thousands..

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
That's interesting because when I asked about sending data log info in to lund to perfect my tune I was told there was no need because the tune was good enough....

THIS!^^

I was told that he thinks so highly of his tune, that it doesnt need modifications. What happened to every car is different?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
If you want the absolute BEST from Lund, you have to be patient. He is only one man, and very busy. Secondly, like Linn@Amazon has been saying. If you want the BEST from your tune, you must be ready to datalog on your end, and do some work.

That's what I did with Jon Lund, and my Shelby GT500 with a ported blower setup performed better than I ever expected.

Does his customer service lack compared to companies that have a store front and can answer a phone all day, sure. Are his abilities subpar compared to these other tuners, not at all. He flies helicopters for a living, and his day job can sometimes be VERY demanding.

If you want a GREAT Lund tune, you have to pay for the datalogging remote sessions to dial it in, and have a little patience. He may take a while to get too you, but when he does...you will be pleased with the datalogging results.

This is where I just DONT agree. I waited for 2 months for this pompous guy to get back to me for a simple CAI revision. AND i never even got it.... Everytime i would ask a simple question about tuning, he would respond with arrogance. I dont know ANY job where you can get away with that kinda customer service. Meanwhile there are shops like BBR, VMP, AMAZON, BAMA, JMS bending over backwards for customers, going above and beyond to do right by them. And to top it ALL off, LUND's tune isnt even all that. Its mediocre... I had much more fun with the above named tunes for WAY less in price. Lund is not GOD and his tunes are nothing special...dont waste your time and money when there are better, cheaper, and more amicable options

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
And another thing, I dont want to hear the "he's a busy man" BS, we ALL have jobs, we all have familes and demanding lifestyles...bottom line, if you put out a product you cant keep up with support on...you need to change what your doing or hire help. Because in the end its the customer thats suffers./

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
That's interesting because when I asked about sending data log info in to lund to perfect my tune I was told there was no need because the tune was good enough....

We have always insisted on specific parameters datalogged and AF readings being sent back to us to be able to optimalize the tune. We do this for every customer at no extra charge. It is part of what you pay for when you purchase our custom tuning option. We walk you thourgh any part of the process that you need help doing. If you don't take advantage of this and just load the initial tune that we send there is alot being left on the table.

It really doesn't matter how many tunes a tuner has done or how good he is if you can't get a hold of him when you need him. So when choosing a tuner an important deciding factor is the level of access and availibility you have to him.

cbaty08

Established Member
I have the Lund tune, and I don't have any complaints about it. The skip shif is disabled, and there is a noticiable difference in power and how the car responds. I got the tune with the cammed idle and it just gets old. I also don't think it sounds great without an offroad X or H. I have 3" from the cats to axel, and then topped off with Flowmaster 40's. There are times when it sounds awesome, and times it doesn't. That is my reason for opting for a new tune. I talked to Lethal, and they will send me a Lund tune minus the Cammed idle for $100. JMS is offering their's for $50. Based on this thread, I am going to try JMS. Hell, I may have them throw in the cammed tune too and see if it is more consistant.

Maybe you got a better tune than some.. So The 5.0 Threw a Rod...Time for a Build - Ford Mustang Forums
:shrug:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Good point WBT! Like i tell everyone, if you are going to get open heart surgery do you want the doctor with the best bed side manor and has done 30 operations like yours or the one who knows the most about what he is doing and has done thousands..

Funny reference, i just happened to have an ablation early June of this year to treat Atrial fibrillation a form of SVT. After dealing with complications after the surgery i had open heart surgery a month after and a pacemaker was put in.

Ill be 24 this next June.

If getting a tune is simular to heart surgery in any way no matter the surgeon/tuner, ill stay stock.

Last edited:

oman svt

Established Member
Well technically isn't a tune personal preference. U just keep choosing or tinkering til u find the one u like and love right? Glad he found what he likes. I'm curious to see peoples opinion on livernois tunes. And which Lund tune did u go eith evolution or lethal??

I'm running a livernois 93 octane tune. I LOVE IT! its more expensive than other brands, but I'm from oversees and customer service comes first i guess. Rick at livernois is great to deal with. My car is smooth and i love the power and throttle response is:rockon: its only tune i tried, but customer service and care just attached me to them

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
We have always insisted on specific parameters datalogged and AF readings being sent back to us to be able to optimalize the tune. We do this for every customer at no extra charge. It is part of what you pay for when you purchase our custom tuning option. We walk you thourgh any part of the process that you need help doing. If you don't take advantage of this and just load the initial tune that we send there is alot being left on the table.

It really doesn't matter how many tunes a tuner has done or how good he is if you can't get a hold of him when you need him. So when choosing a tuner an important deciding factor is the level of access and availibility you have to him.

I guess I expected more from lund but didn't get it.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I guess I expected more from lund but didn't get it.

One thing that I have noticed since working more with the S197 guys is that they were mostly unaware what all was involved with getting e tuned.
When I started explaining the process we used some where actually argumentative that our process was not needed to tune the 05 and up vehicles.

They felt that the newer cars didnt have the mechanical problems associated with older models and that the "top tuners" had these tunes nailed down for the S197s. They felt that they could just pop an e tune in and go beat on it without checking it out first to make sure it is doing what it is programmed to do.

All email tunes need to be verified by datalogged and AF. With the capablilities of the hand held tuners and the affordability of wide bands it makes it so easy to do. Why risk it?

E tuning the way we do it takes alot more time but we do it because it is the way it needs to be done.

Last edited:

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member

that dude who wrote that has 14 post's and he posted a link to an old thread about a #8 failure. Calling bs on that.

You guys need to cut Lund some slack. He's not a major company like all of the other places that have 10+ people on staff and answer phone calls all day long helping people. He's a guy that tune's on the side. Obviously if some of the big company's like Lethal and Evolution are using him. They must believe he knows what he is doing.

wbt

Banned
that dude who wrote that has 14 post's and he posted a link to an old thread about a #8 failure. Calling bs on that.

You guys need to cut Lund some slack. He's not a major company like all of the other places that have 10+ people on staff and answer phone calls all day long helping people. He's a guy that tune's on the side. Obviously if some of the big company's like Lethal and Evolution are using him. They must believe he knows what he is doing.

He and jmatero are joined at the hip and are completely worthless.

Another perspective on Jon, the fastest/quickest 2011+ Mustangs have been tuned by him. I know of a few GT500's that fit in with that as well. :rockon:

DIB5.0

Established Member
I have several tunes also and all seem about even. I think its more about how the tune is set up and the feel that most think one is faster than the other. Just throttle response and POT adjustments can make one tune feel more powerful than another but all will run the same ET's. Lunds tune to me feels the most powerful the way he has it set up but it is useless for the street without DR's. Shifting is harsh and car gets sideways with street tires. VMP, UPR, Brookspeed and AED tunes are very smooth and shift points are firm and not harsh. Great for the street and street tires. Other tunes are just mediocre and fall in the middle, Brenspeed, Bama, TORQ, and Amazon.
For everyday driving VMP is hard to beat. Very smooth and nice firm but not harsh shifts .

cbaty08

Established Member
He and jmatero are joined at the hip and are completely worthless.

Another perspective on Jon, the fastest/quickest 2011+ Mustangs have been tuned by him. I know of a few GT500's that fit in with that as well. :rockon:

You act like you know me, and presume I know that other guy; I don't.

Relax, please.

11BLK5.0

Established Member
This is where I just DONT agree. I waited for 2 months for this pompous guy to get back to me for a simple CAI revision. AND i never even got it.... Everytime i would ask a simple question about tuning, he would respond with arrogance. I dont know ANY job where you can get away with that kinda customer service. Meanwhile there are shops like BBR, VMP, AMAZON, BAMA, JMS bending over backwards for customers, going above and beyond to do right by them. And to top it ALL off, LUND's tune isnt even all that. Its mediocre... I had much more fun with the above named tunes for WAY less in price. Lund is not GOD and his tunes are nothing special...dont waste your time and money when there are better, cheaper, and more amicable options

I never had a problem with Lund returning any of my emails. They were typically returned within a day. He also had no problems updating my tune. Guess I was lucky.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Z250H,

I just want to thank you bro. I spoke to and ordered a JMS tune on Friday based on your review, and I am very pleased to say the least. I don't have enough seat time to write a review yet, but I really like the feel so far. Great thing about this tune is that unless you get on it, you will never know there is a tune installed. Thanks again,

Sam

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Z250H,

I just want to thank you bro. I spoke to and ordered a JMS tune on Friday based on your review, and I am very pleased to say the least. I don't have enough seat time to write a review yet, but I really like the feel so far. Great thing about this tune is that unless you get on it, you will never know there is a tune installed. Thanks again,

Sam

:rockon:

i have put some miles on this tune and ts been flawless. The DD of this tune is awesome too. Quietest at idle and butter smooth. My car loves it, WOT...i love it

:beer:

wbt

Banned
You act like you know me, and presume I know that other guy; I don't.

Relax, please.

Regardless you have no idea what you are talking about wheather it be tunes or transmissions.

Before you continue to post bullshit with a goal no other than creating discontent, do proper due diligence and read more than the title of a post and make assumptions.

You have offered nothing constructive to the community. :fm:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread