My *Personal review* of TUNES

faztcobra

Established Member
Great thing about this tune is that unless you get on it, you will never know there is a tune installed. Thanks again,

Sam
I installed a BBR tune tonight and feel the same way. Everything still seems docile enough through just regular driving, although the low end torque is quite noticeable. Punch it from the light or on the highway and it gets after it. Pulls light a freight train! I was also happy with another thing so far that I didn't expect...even amidst nothing but 45 mins of aggressive driving between highways and on/off ramps and a few stop lights, I still got 22 mpg via the Ford read out. I wouldn't have known that, but the tune appeared to have reset my mpg reading. Prior to the tune, I could achieve 22mpg w/ my 3.73s, but only if I really babied it. Most recent tank had averaged just over 19. Time to datalog now and make sure everything is safe.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
That's interesting because when I asked about sending data log info in to lund to perfect my tune I was told there was no need because the tune was good enough....

Some tunes, and setups have already been perfected on the dyno. Read "common setups".

The minor changes that some cars may need can be made with the unlocked features of the SCT.

beef97

Established Member
Just wondering since all of you have different tunes what you think of this. I had issues with my RPM's dropping too slow, the first tune i got it was crazy slow and then he sent me another one. I still think the RPM's drop too slow but I can't remember what stock felt like. Here is a video. The tune was from a performance shop

[nomedia]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_uI56Wtw4[/nomedia]

Zacharyx

Established Member
How long have driven on the tune? When I changed TBs the first tune hung pretty bad the second was better and got to almost to quick after a couple days of driving it

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I'm going to bet it's your tune. Do you have an SCT? If so, I would return it to stock and check it out. Also, JMS can have a new tune to you for $50 same day. They would be a great contact to explain your issues. What mods do you have to the engine? I have had their tune for a week now and really like it a lot.

beef97

Established Member
Wow so are you saying the rate that your RPM's dropped changed over time? I know the computer needs to relearn its idle but does it take time to relearn anything else? Another thing i noticed is that the gas mileage was lower initially. Not sure if that adjusts over time as well. I don't have many miles with this new tune at all, maybe 25. I've got Airaid intake, Accufab throttle body, high flow cats, full 3 inch exhaust, corsa mufflers, installing BBK stainless shorties this weekend. I appreciate the info guys!

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
Wow so are you saying the rate that your RPM's dropped changed over time? I know the computer needs to relearn its idle but does it take time to relearn anything else? Another thing i noticed is that the gas mileage was lower initially. Not sure if that adjusts over time as well. I don't have many miles with this new tune at all, maybe 25. I've got Airaid intake, Accufab throttle body, high flow cats, full 3 inch exhaust, corsa mufflers. I appreciate the info guys!

That is your problem. Make sure your tune is configured to use that TB. Aftermarket TBs are notorious for making drivibility issues and idle issues.

beef97

Established Member
I just switched to the accufab a few days ago. I had the same issue with the stock TB. I contacted accufab and they assured me that no tune was necessary with it. Even if that was the problem, my tuner told me that the dashpot settings (what controls how fast the rpm's drop) is already set at its fastest point. I am not sure if this is correct or not or if there is something else that can be done. Obviously if others have faster rpm drops than mine, there MUST be something else that can be done so that's why i was asking everyone. I hate it because when i shift to the next gear, my engine is running about 700 or so RPM's higher than what the next gear will be. Even worse if i really get on the gas or shift faster. Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks again everyone

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have been considering giving JMS a try. I am a big proponent of the FRPP Pro-Cal, but JMS is close enough to me to get tuned in person. I would trust a dyno tune from a reputable tuner as much, if not more than the FRPP. I want to see how well I can do with the FRPP at the track, but I am growing weary of the part throttle pinging I hear from time to time. This is a common and known issue with this tune and it is supposed to be "normal," but it certainly bothers me.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread