My quest for the perfect sound

GatorSnake

Bite First Bark Later
Established Member
Like alot of people I have been trying different exhaust combo's looking for the right sound (the right sound for me).

When I had the stock pipes installed, The stock mufflers were just way too mellow, so I installed SLP Loudmouths and they were much more agressive and very loud and kind of had a racecar sound....I liked it....but would not call it a muscle car sound.

When I installed Lethal's Offroad X-pipe (still had the SLP Loudmouths installed), WOW it was loud....like uncapped headers loud!

I then installed KR's with the offroads......still very loud......but sounds awesome....especially when getting on it....and at the track! But in daily driving, especially when around buildings, or in heavy traffic.....they are just too loud and vibrates the car alot. More of a racecar raspy sound than a muscle car sound.

I then ordered Lethal's highflow catted X-pipe. The highflow cats with the KR's are absolutely awesome sounding! For me this is the sound I was looking for, especially for daily driving. It is still loud....but has a much better muscle car sound!!! And during daily driving at normal rpm's it is not too loud, but when you get on it....it wakes up and just sounds fantastic!!!

So for me, highflow cats and KR's are the perfect daily driver muscle car sound!

And when I go to the track (4 or 5 times a year), I will swap out the catted pipes for the offroad pipes. (takes less than an hour). And it sounds like a racecar should sound!

Of course, in the future, if I decide to put longtubes on, I will have to see what happens to the exhaust sound. It never stops! But it sure is a fun journey!

XtraTQ

Established Member
I installed the KR's last weekend, and the Lethal O/R x-pipe is going on this week. I'm really looking forward to the combo!

O.J.

Established Member
I simply did the muffler deletes and it sounds awesome. no drone, not too loud when cruz'n, but when you get into it....wow it barks and turns heads. I could not be happier. Wish I knew how to post sound clips, but it wouldn't do justice anyway.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
I have forever been on the hunt for a combo to mimic the sound of a Borla'ed Terminator.... That sound gives me chills and I'm starting to think it doesn't exist for the 07+ :(

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH_WXCThC34"]YouTube- 04 Kenne Bell Cobra - Borla Stinger catback / offroad x pipe[/nomedia]

tvuser

Established Member
I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one who bought a cat back that put the mufflers under the car.I guess I'll be the first with headers and an under car muffler cat back,should sound like my old 03 cobra with stingers only louder because of the the bigger engine.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one who bought a cat back that put the mufflers under the car.I guess I'll be the first with headers and an under car muffler cat back,should sound like my old 03 cobra with stingers only louder because of the the bigger engine.

Which mufflers? Got pics?

tvuser

Established Member
I have the pypes system SFM66(Pypes 409 Stainless Steel MID-MUFFLER Catback with Polished 304 Tips (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!). With the stock manifolds and cats its kinda mellow inside but sounds very good outside, and it doesnt have that rear muffler sound. There are a ton of sound clips on the net of this system.Roush also makes a system ,but its 100 dollars more. I am a little concerned its going to be to loud when I put the headers on and high flow cats,but for now I like it a lot(no drone inside at all).

Last edited:

GatorSnake

Bite First Bark Later
Established Member
I simply did the muffler deletes and it sounds awesome. no drone, not too loud when cruz'n, but when you get into it....wow it barks and turns heads. I could not be happier. Wish I knew how to post sound clips, but it wouldn't do justice anyway.

My first mod was the SLP Loudmouths and they are a muffler delete, and they sounded great with the stock mid pipe and cats!

GatorSnake

Bite First Bark Later
Established Member
I have the pypes system SFM66(Pypes 409 Stainless Steel MID-MUFFLER Catback with Polished 304 Tips (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!). With the stock manifolds and cats its kinda mellow inside but sounds very good outside, and it doesnt have that rear muffler sound. There are a ton of sound clips on the net of this system.Roush also makes a system ,but its 100 dollars more. I am a little concerned its going to be to loud when I put the headers on and high flow cats,but for now I like it a lot(no drone inside at all).

Nice setup. Did these fit without any modifications required?

O.J.

Established Member
My first mod was the SLP Loudmouths and they are a muffler delete, and they sounded great with the stock mid pipe and cats!

I agree with Gatorsnake.....my exhaust is completely stock except for the muffler deletes.....If anyone is stock and looking to change, I would suggest to try this first before spending any more cash.

tvuser

Established Member
Nice setup. Did these fit without any modifications required?

Bolts right in..I had a friend at a muffler shop put mine as I wanted it to be on a lift to make sure there was no rattles because it is a tight fit.I had him make the hangers instead of buying the expensive ones that is says are required.

XtraTQ

Established Member
OP, is there any chance we could get a sound clip? :beer:

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Where do u get that adapter piece to make an x into an H??

My or X sounds a bit like an empty soda can with the stingers... Would that be the manifolds or the actual X that makes that hollow aluminum sound ??

It sounds great at WOT but cruising it gets annoying after awhile...

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
That's mighty pricey for that small section of pipes......

Guell I'll wait for the dynatech longtube and O/R x to go with my stingers, hopefully it will help the sound.....

Users who are viewing this thread