My shop situation - plz advise - little long

Striped97

Established Member
So let me set the scene. Just bought an 03 cobra with 30,xxx miles. Mods already on it: a shitty x-pipe with 3'' frpp exhaust (very raspy), 3.1 bf pulley, k@n intake, sub-frames, short throw. The guy i bought it from said it was flashed with something before he got it and he took it to a dyno to check the a/f and everything turned out good, right at 12 and making 443hp/450tq (i have the dyno sheet now from him). Anyways back to the shop experience. The throw out bearing was chirping some and i wanted to get rid of the raspyness and get a smaller pulley and good tune with a xcal (make it even more solid as a rock and have peace of mind that shes in my hands now). So i take it a shop here in the dfw area (will hold off on names until they have a chance to make it right). Dropped the car off on friday afternoon and talked to one guy about all that stuff i wanted done to it and told him i would pick it up the next mon as i was out of town all that next week. So i told them put an o/r h-pipe on, new throw out bearing in and check the clutch (b/c it doesn't feel stock, vibrates a little hard on take offs), completely check the car out for peace of mind, 2.8 pulley w/ tensioner (was told that i didn't need the ilder kit yet since i wasn't changing the lower?!?! that right), TR6 plugs, SCT, and a tune. Estimate was 1550ish. So i leave for vacation and the get back in the states the next fri and called and asked if it was good to good for first thing mon morning, yes i was told. So yesterday morning i showed up and one the car was sitting on the dyno, two they didn't put a new pulley on it, and three they still could not tell me what type of clutch was in it. So i showed them the estimate the guy typed up for me and they go.. ohhhh sorry we had some bad communication. So then they say we'll have to good to go tonight if i'd come back, said they stay late and wait for me to get off work. Well that didn't happen and they called me and asked me to pay over the phone and theyd leave the keys in the gas tank, I WAS F IN G PISSSED. So they didn't do shit on it all week and then the day they knew i was coming they threw it all together. Now from the dyno sheet he left in the car for me, its at 11.88, with 439hp/482tq. Looks like they only did like 5 pulls, before the traction control was always off and now its back to having to turn it off?!?!?! Plus they still put an o/r x and not h like i wanted and the rasp is worse, also put on a 2.76 pulley instead of the 2.8 (isn't really a big deal but ok). The car feels like it runs worse and now the driveline clash out of high gear seems worse altough the chirp is gone. They ended up saying they'd discount me some but really didnt, total was 1518. Will be calling first thing in the morning on how PISSED OFF i am and was wondering what i should do from here? I dont know what would make it right but i'm just glad to get my car back. Does this sound right as far as their advice and price. I know their communication and actions aren't right. :bash:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What was the name of the shop? Sounds like a huge communications mess from the get go.

grip

Established Member
If the problem isn't corrected to your satisfaction, please post your story in the Texas taste of home forum and on dfwstangs.net.

The local guys would benefit from knowing.

+1 on the name of the shop.

Juruense

Banned
Well, that $1518 is gone time to find a good shop or just DIY. It can be very hard to find a good shop...

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Man, that is exactly why I haven't pulled the trigger on a shop yet...I can't find someone I trust enough to do my car right the first time.

SpectorV

Established Member
most shops toss shit on your car at the last minute and let it sit around until then and they rush through and turn it back over to you.... its all due to people running shops that are unable to manage their time... and try to take to many jobs to make more money instead of taking care of the customers they DO have... every shop makes mistakes but they can keep them much lower if they would work harder to manage their time/effort and communication.

Striped97

Established Member
I agree with doing the work myself, but some things i just cant do. So i called and talked to them again today and told them how dissappointed i was with the service/job they did/didn't do for me and they told me they wanted to make it right. They offer to swap out the x for an h no problem but told me my cat-back was the main problem of the exhaust (which granted kinda is and i plan on changing it soon). So i gave them a chance and told them i'd think about leaving the x on if they'd give me a magnaflow system installed for a (cough... cough i'm still PISSED OFF about the previous situation) great price..... told me 580 installed........ right then i'm done. So i'm going to talk with them a little more and have them switch out the x with an h and be done....... I dont want to drop the shop name yet b/c i'm not one to bash before they have a chance to fix my issues.

Striped97

Established Member
There are several good shops in DFW. I'm curious who dropped the ball.

Please tell me who are the good ones, because ive only lived in dallas for almost a year and this is the first time i've needed a shop with more experience then just doing simple things.

Striped97

Established Member
most shops toss shit on your car at the last minute and let it sit around until then and they rush through and turn it back over to you.... its all due to people running shops that are unable to manage their time... and try to take to many jobs to make more money instead of taking care of the customers they DO have... every shop makes mistakes but they can keep them much lower if they would work harder to manage their time/effort and communication.

I totally agree and when i showed up and saw my car on the dyno with the same pulley as before, i knew we had problems. Made me think they didn't do anything else until that mon i was supposed to pick it up. My root of anger was that they knew i was coming mon morning and still didn't even call me before i had someone drive me 45 mins to not be able to pick it up....................... i've got to stop talking about it, makes me more and more mad the more i think about it...

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Please tell me who are the good ones, because ive only lived in dallas for almost a year and this is the first time i've needed a shop with more experience then just doing simple things.

I have heard nothing but great things from GearHeads, i think they are located in Arlington. I too have only 'lived' in the DFW for about 2 years, although i am never in the country so i still feel new to the place.

-Mike

BlownReptile

Established Member
I had a similar experience recently at a shop in Texas. I specified REPEATEDLY that I wanted a compression test, along with a dyno pull. I must have reiterated it about 4 separate times.

Wasnt done when I picked up the car and they acted like they hadn't ever heard me mention it....total bs. Along with that, they completely neglected to check out my alignment problem I had specified I wanted addressed. They also took several extra days then they had told me they would.

There wasnt much they were doing to the car either. Also seemed completely uninterested in my car and I felt service was really lacking. Talking to them was completely pointless. I asked a couple questions and realized I would get more informative responses combing through bs online. I felt like I was swimming in a sea of apathy. Which is a shame, now I have to find another shop....and so many people on here gave the shop high regards. So I just dont know anymore.....any shop suggestions?

Last edited:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I seen worst, I would have too say just get it done,
since there going to try and make it right.
I belive the H install will be free.
Then just find somebody else next time.

By the way get rid of the 3 inch catback.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research

....I did so much research before I decided on the shop to work on my car. I actually called them and told them that if they can't do exactly what I wanted, I can't take my car there. I ended up becoming friends with the shop manager....so like I said, call around, ask people and do your research before dropping your baby off!

Users who are viewing this thread