My T56 swap

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Well a couple months ago I drove down to Georgia and picked up a T56 from a member on here (l1ghtning) and finally got around to installing it yesterday. It was really quite easy, getting the T45 out wasn't bad at all, and the install of the T56 was a bit easier, the removable bell housing really helped. I remember hearing some people's stories about needing to do some hammering to get it to fit, I didn't run into any trouble though. :shrug:

Anyways, it's just about finished up. Just have to swap the pinion flange from my driveshaft onto the 03 driveshaft, then install the exhaust and wire up the reverse lockout switch. Which is the only thing I have a question on, can anyone tell me what I need to do for that? Getting it in reverse now isn't that bad, but definitely a slight PITA having to put some effort in it to get it over to reverse.

Here are some pictures.

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

And my custom short throw shifter!!!11!

DSCN0037.jpg

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
LoL nice pics!

I just complete the same swap so I can help you out there.

Polarity on the pigtail does not matter. Ground one side to the sheet metal box the Xmember bolts to so you dont have to make a hole to the interior.

The other wire should go to the hot side of the brake light switch. This way, lockout is disengaged when you hit the brakes.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I tapped mine into the cig lighter on the shifter bezel. I wired it to a switch I got a Radio Shack. Drilled a hole in the bezel and screwed the switch in. Just use those pinch style easy taps.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Very nice. Did you do anything with the clutch and fw?

Nope, the clutch is only about a year old, and the flywheel was resurfaced when it was replaced. I was going to do a Spec 2+ and an aluminum flywheel, but I'm not gonna do any racing with it this year really so decided to save the money.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Welcome to the T56 club. Let me know if you get the 80mph vibe now. Seems the pinion angle gets thrown off. Mine is and I am going to purchase the MM kit to solve it.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I installed Bruce's IRS fix prior to the T56. Here is a pic of where I ended up with the shims. This did not end up with a perfect angle, it needed to angle up a bit higher. No vibe however so I'm fine with it.

SNV30825.gif

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
my T56 is hard to get into reverse but im used to it by now....i like it because no theif is going to be able to back my car out:)

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Welcome to the T56 club. Let me know if you get the 80mph vibe now. Seems the pinion angle gets thrown off. Mine is and I am going to purchase the MM kit to solve it.

Will do, I rarely travel at anything over 75 since the speed limit here in Ohio is 65 though.

What did you use to drop/install the transmissions? Floorjack? Do you have LTs?

To drop and install the transmissions, I just used a regular floor jack. A trans jack would have probably made it easier, but there were 3 of us all working on it, and we jacked it up and lined it up as best we could, then just lifted it into place. No LT's, but I can imagine those wouldn't be as fun to work with.

What up man. let me know how that tranny works out. Post some vids.

Sure thing man, I can't wait to drive it and have a useable first gear. :rockon: And BTW, you need to get some videos of your car on here, that thing is sick. :beer:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
What did you use to drop/install the transmissions? Floorjack? Do you have LTs?

Just to let you know, when I first swapped mine, I did it by myself with a motorcycle jack. I would have used a floor jack, but I had the car up so high mine wouldn't reach. I also have Hooker long tubes. It really isn't that hard a job. Hardest part is getting the top two bolts on the T-45 out and getting the top bolt on the starter out. Everything else is pretty easy.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
You are gpoing to need a:
NEAPCO brand hybrid Ujoint # 2-3050
or:
Precision brand Ujoint # 0448

to mate the flange to your shaft.
Minor correction from a post above:
LoL nice pics!

Polarity on the pigtail does not matter.
Ground one side to the sheet metal box the Xmember bolts to so you dont have to make a hole to the interior.

The other wire should go to the SWITCHED (output) side of the brake light switch.
This way, lockout is disengaged when you hit the brakes.

Last edited:

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
You are gpoing to need a:
NEAPCO brand hybrid Ujoint # 2-3050
or:
Precision brand Ujoint # 0448

to mate the flange to your shaft.
Minor correction from a post above:

Ohh, I didn't know I needed that to swap over the flange. Thanks for that info, does Ford make those U joints, or do I have to go elsewhere for those? I searched for the Precision one at Summit Racing (since they are only a 10 minute drive) and there was nothing for that part number.

Edit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PCN-448&N=700+115&autoview=sku Is that it?

Last edited:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Ohh, I didn't know I needed that to swap over the flange. Thanks for that info, does Ford make those U joints, or do I have to go elsewhere for those? I searched for the Precision one at Summit Racing (since they are only a 10 minute drive) and there was nothing for that part number.

Edit: Precision Universal Joint 448 - Precision U-Joints - summitracing.com Is that it?

Go to the parts store with those numbers.
The Terminator flange has a 1350 series joint,
whereas the others have 1330.
Which T56 are you installing? (Terminator, 2000 "R")
What driveshaft do you have now?
Have you tested the slip yoke to make sure it fits your new trans?

Users who are viewing this thread